Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

face to face interviews for first brit passport

From 1 June 2007, first time adult passport customers who are 16 and over will no longer be able to use the fast track one week service when applying for their passport. This is due to the introduction of face to face interviews for all first time adult passport customers during 2007, as part of the passport application process.

For further information please visit: www.passport.gov.uk

The interview process
    Passport applications can be made using the standard application form, as now. These can be sent directly by post or by using the Check & Send service available at selected branches of the Post Office and Worldchoice travel agents. Regional passport offices will then establish that the applicant’s identity exists and that they are entitled to a British passport. This will include checks with independent sources such as the electoral roll and address histories. This verifies a “biographical footprint” of identity and will be used later in the identity interview.

At the end of this initial verification process, the applicant will get a letter asking them to telephone us to make an appointment for an interview at one of our 69 interview offices. An applicant can choose any office, but appointments are subject to availability*.

The interview process takes about 30 minutes. It will be conducted in a friendly manner and will consist mainly of asking applicants to confirm facts about themselves, which someone attempting to steal their identity may not know.

All personal information used in the interview is destroyed shortly after the passport is issued.

* As the interview scheme is rolled out, we will start with small-scale interviews in a limited number of interview offices. During this period, customers will not have a choice of interview office. However, the location of the interview will be within one hour’s travelling time.

the Identity and Passport Service wants to develop and share database information with Government and private-sector organisations, building on the success we have had with our Lost, Stolen and Recovered passport database.

i've seen somewhere that they will ask you questions from a question bank of about 200 questions, the 'checks with independent sources ' who knows, your bank details, dvla, nhs, local council, job ???

I don't have a problem with that at all.

What I suspect however, is that the people who they actually employ to perform the interviews will not have the appropriate background checks (i.e. here with a false passport themselves), and be targets for corruption and general abuse of power ( Anthony Pamnani case).

In fact, thats probably how they got into this mess in the first place. they are just digging a deeper hole - at the expense of freedom for the rest of us.

oh i dont think its a bad thing, but whats the cost going to be? surely cannot be the standard passport fee of £66 , come on theres extra processing and an interview, so must be an extra fee , and of course not refundable , oh i'm sure they can charge £400-£750 for it its not like you really have a choice now is it.. you have to pay.. or no british passport

from other forums i go on, just to check if pinoys are treated the same as eveyone else, and its hard to say, because its difficult to see how many thai's are applying for a spouse visa compared to pinoy's. but some thai's have had visa's refused for visitors. spouses and even kids, but then how many are down to lack of evidence or just the embassy being .
    but on some of theses forums, they are people who admit to been illegally here, no passport or visa, who marry a british citizen, and even have been kicked out, or over stayed for many years, and have applied for spouse visa and been accepted. makes you wonder why people get , after they pay their visa fee and go by the book, and get refused. and some use a realtionship just to be able to stay in the uk, so they can work. just read on a well known immigration forum, where the only way a person was advised they could stay was to apply for a work permit ( little chance) or have a relationship with an eea national, so they wouldn't even have to pay a visa fee !!

london well away from those people up norf
    Another bloomming interview, im really feeling for my Wife now she has had schegn interviews, ni interviews, life in the uk exam next saturday.

I agree with the checks but like you both say it seems to have a lot to do with money making and also i can see someone trying to fiddle the system being better prepared than say a shy/nervous inocent person.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    oh i dont think its a bad thing, but whats the cost going to be? surely cannot be the standard passport fee of £66 , come on theres extra processing and an interview, so must be an extra fee , and of course not refundable , oh i'm sure they can charge £400-£750 for it its not like you really have a choice now is it.. you have to pay.. or no british passport

from other forums i go on, just to check if pinoys are treated the same as eveyone else, and its hard to say, because its difficult to see how many thai's are applying for a spouse visa compared to pinoy's. but some thai's have had visa's refused for visitors. spouses and even kids, but then how many are down to lack of evidence or just the embassy being .
    but on some of theses forums, they are people who admit to been illegally here, no passport or visa, who marry a british citizen, and even have been kicked out, or over stayed for many years, and have applied for spouse visa and been accepted. makes you wonder why people get , after they pay their visa fee and go by the book, and get refused. and some use a realtionship just to be able to stay in the uk, so they can work. just read on a well known immigration forum, where the only way a person was advised they could stay was to apply for a work permit ( little chance) or have a relationship with an eea national, so they wouldn't even have to pay a visa fee !!
    I just paid nearly £180 for my kids first passports, and with a little luck, they might be here by the end of this week.
    Reading the posts. made me realize that I got away with it lightly, because if they want another one, it will be up to them.
    I can see both sides of the argument, and I am sure that despite the extra interviews, time, labor, whatever... The extra expense is not really justified.... just another tax.
    Like the increase in settlement visa fees, FLR and ILR.

The security aspect of the whole affair, is welcome, and should have been introduced years ago, not that it will stop determined crooks to obtain fake passes directly from the passport office... legally.
    Where there is a will, (and money) there is a way....
    Like there always be bent officials.
    As per your last paragraph, I resent it slightly. Feels like a bit of a personal dig .
    Believe it or not, I heard of it on this forum first, and made further research. I was not afraid to shell out for my wife's visa fees, but why pay at all if it is free???
    Doesn't happen very often for me to get anything free of charge out of the system, especially after the inordinate amount of tax I have been paying over the last 30+ years.
    But as mentioned before in another post, somewhere, I cannot afford to leave the job, because too many refugees, bogus asylum seekers, last salary pensioned goverment employees, depend on my tax money... and yours.
    Well, Tony is leaving the gravy train, Gordon will follow in a wee while... maybe things will get a bit better, but doubtful.
    In the meantime
    Ingats

Dom

london well away from those people up norf
    Hey aromulus i doubt joe would have a go at you, i think he was talking about the fact the persons were here already and trying to fiddle the system.

as andypaul said, i wasn't having a dig about you and visa's. i will about you being a chelsea fan , no its good you dont have to pay , i'm not moaning about that, iam moaning i shouldn't have to pay to, its your legal right to be with your family.its aimed at non euro's who have a relationship with a british citizen or eea national in the uk, so they can stay in the uk, those who are just using their partner, if you think this is not wide spread, from the number of posts i've read it is and some of them have made me so much, more than scouser keiths jokes ever would.

'my b/f of 3 years, hes an illegal immigrant hes been here 5 years, we intend to get married, but hes worried about applying for a visa ......... '

'my daughter has turned 21, iam on a work permit, shes working, how can she stay in the uk.. apply for work permit or have a relationship... '

reading some of them its better than tv, those who break the rules, are using the system, while the honest ones, like me and you, pay the price.. as ive said before, since end of nov last year ive paid £2250 for visa's i feel i shouldnt have to pay for, none of us should, who have a right to be here

aromulus i dont know where in my post, you think iam having a dig at you, if you mean about having a 'relationship' with a eea national in the uk not having to pay for a visa, ive seen that advice given a few times given on forums so you dont have to pay for a visa, while if you have a 'relationship' with a brit you will have to pay for a spouse visa..., the advice was given about saving money !!, not about eea national or brit marrying someone, just money saving..

Thread Information