Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Indian couple challenge UK immigration law

the case is now being heard in court.

http://www.ukimmigration.com/news/20...ration-law.htm

Manjit Gill, a solicitor representing the couple, told the Birmingham court that the rule is in breach of their human rights. He stated that it contravenes several articles of the European Convention on Human Rights, including the right to marry and the right not to be discriminated against.

one of 2 court case going on, looks like the gov will lose again

Immigration: Should you be forced to learn English if you want to live in the UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012wgzp
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i read this somewhere...& I hope the couple wins.
    If you can't say something nice. SHUT UP!. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria B View Post
    I hope the couple wins.
    So do I ... although, undoubtedly, it helps someone from abroad to integrate more easily into British society if he/she can, at least, speak and/or understand English.

In the 15 years that he thought he might end up coming to the Uk he never thought to learn English

Maybe he has and its like my Tagalog (ie a small child level) but if i was to go to pinas with the intention of staying more than two weeks I would get it up to at least a 10-12 year olds level I can't remember the level required of English but its not that high i believe..

I have seen people suffer because they can't speak or read basic English in the UK over simple things like traveling around their local town or purchasing food
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    I hope the Indians lose, how about my right not to see the country overrun with chancers like these people It's no surprise the UK Taxpayer is funding this expensive 'Uman Rights lawyer via Legal Aid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...-language.html

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    In the 15 years that he thought he might end up coming to the Uk he never thought to learn English
    exactly my point too
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Maybe he has and its like my Tagalog (ie a small child level) but if i was to go to pinas with the intention of staying more than two weeks I would get it up to at least a 10-12 year olds level I can't remember the level required of English but its not that high i believe..

I have seen people suffer because they can't speak or read basic English in the UK over simple things like traveling around their local town or purchasing food
    I agree with this point.
    This case has many similar 'odd' issues and is not as straightforward as is being reported.

i wonder when is the time the Philippine gov will do the same

The pass grade for IELTS is about 4, but as people age it gets harder to learn, especially a language. I think everyone coming here has a certain level of English, but I would say that age groups should be made with the level of IELTS required reducing, say 50-60: L1, 40-50: L2 ... etc ... and for 60+: none
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    A bit more here

The Indian man challenging immigration laws which block non-English speakers from coming to live in Britain said yesterday he hopes ‘many other people’ will come if he wins.

Talking about his case for the first time, Vali Chapti, a farmer who wants to join his wife in Leicester, also insisted that he would never learn English.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1VSy6IPst

Germ

if they win, due to article 8, then surely you should have a legal right to bring your partner here, so any other reason for refusal should be over turned to, if you dont have the finances UKBA say you need, or the accommondation they say you need,artcile 8 should apply then to.,.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I hope the Indians lose
    ... you're all HEART!

They're Indians ... NOT "cowboys"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    i wonder when is the time the Philippine gov will do the same
    I think they do, not really ever read up about but im sure for some long term visa's for pinas you need to have evidence of speak a Phill dialect or Spanish Possibly wrong but just stuck in my mind
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

I think they do, not really ever read up about but im sure for some long term visa's for pinas you need to have evidence of speak a Phill dialect or Spanish Possibly wrong but just stuck in my mind
    Don't THINK so, Andy ... at least, I haven't heard of this. One of our formerly active, English members has lived in Tagum for a number of years now ... and, as far as I'm aware, HIS knowledge of the local tongue has mainly been picked up from his wife and her family, their friends, neighbours and those other people he has regular dealings with.

The only thing that I can think of is the application for Philippine naturalization (citizenship).

The major qualifications include:-

- Must not be less than 21 yrs of age
    - 10 years continuous residence (5 years if married to Phil citizen)
    - Must be of good moral character and believe in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted themselves
    in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of residence in the Philippines in his/her relation with the constituted
    government as well as with the community in which he/she is living.
    - Ability to read and write English or Spanish AND any one of the principal Philippine languages
    - Must have enrolled minor children of school age, in any of the public schools or private schools recognized by the Office of Private
    Education of the Philippines, where the Philippine history, government and civics are taught or prescribed as part of the school curriculum,
    during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of them prior to the hearing of the petition for naturalization as
    Philippine citizen.

the SRRV retirement visa is ok if you afford the 20.000 USD investment in the Phils, my dad used it
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Thread Information