Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Working in Edinburgh

Hi All,
    My wife Mai fianally made it to sunny Edinburgh on Monday.. She had no problems getting here, just she got a little bit shocked at the beautiful cold,windy and rainy Scottish weather!!!
    Now she has her spouse visa for 2 years, can she seek work once she has settled in here.. Is it just a case of getting a nation insurance number??? Also, she would like to make friends from people back home in and around the Edinburgh Area, so if anyone who like to,please feel free to get in touch.. She is 25 years old and from Cagayan de Oro
    Best wishes,
    Mai and Stuart

Your wife is allowed to work on her 2 year spouse visa and once she is employed her employer will sort out her National Insurance Number for her.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Cold!!! It was 87 degrees yesterday....I'm glowing red .....but then I was in Black Rock Desert where they do all the world speed records, in Nevada

I think I broke the record on the lake bed for most handbrake turns....

Here's Ate Ping ......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by sala74 View Post
    Hi All,
    My wife Mai fianally made it to sunny Edinburgh on Monday.. She had no problems getting here, just she got a little bit shocked at the beautiful cold,windy and rainy Scottish weather!!!
    Now she has her spouse visa for 2 years, can she seek work once she has settled in here.. Is it just a case of getting a nation insurance number??? Also, she would like to make friends from people back home in and around the Edinburgh Area, so if anyone who like to,please feel free to get in touch.. She is 25 years old and from Cagayan de Oro
    Best wishes,
    Mai and Stuart
    Hi sala,
    congrats to you and to your wife.i would like to be with mai`s friend.I am from cagayan de oro as well.by the way where in cdo is she?hope to hear from you both.Goodluck

Banned
    Hi Sala74,
    I'm just few miles away from you as we live in the border. Gingsrick is in Edinburgh. Nice to hear you you wish to have filipino friends. Same here lols!
    Welcome to the forum!
    penny

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Daddy View Post
    Hi sala,
    congrats to you and to your wife.i would like to be with mai`s friend.I am from cagayan de oro as well.by the way where in cdo is she?hope to hear from you both.Goodluck
    Mai is from El Salvador, CDO.. Once she has settled in a little and has time, im sure she will love to contact you.. Thanks for your reply and take care..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    Your wife is allowed to work on her 2 year spouse visa and once she is employed her employer will sort out her National Insurance Number for her.
    Is this correct??? I thought you needed a national insurance number before you could seek work.. Thanks for your advice

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Cold!!! It was 87 degrees yesterday....I'm glowing red .....but then I was in Black Rock Desert where they do all the world speed records, in Nevada

I think I broke the record on the lake bed for most handbrake turns....

Here's Ate Ping ......
    Your bright red, my wife`s bright blue with the cold scottish weather!!!!

Banned
    beautiful belfast-now/beautiful bayawan-future!
    with the NI number thing, . . . an easy way to find out is to contact the jobcentre

personally i don't know, but let us all know when you do find out, coz you're further on in your relationship than me so i'd like to know from your experiences what the lowdown is

and a big welcome to the UK to your wife!!!
    ta
    salamat

Hi Sala74, Congrats on your wife getting to Edinburgh safely, if you send me a private message with your contact mobile or landline phone number my wife Gingx2 Who is also from Cagayan De Oro would love to meet Mia and yourself maybe we can meet up soon and we can help to explain to Mia how to get her N I number, ging started work here in Fife 3 weeks after arrival in October last year. Ging will help Mia all she can. Just get intouch ok bye for now Ricky and Ging

Is this correct??? I thought you needed a national insurance number before you could seek work.. Thanks for your advice
    She could either contact her local Jobcentre to apply a NI but she must show an ID and proof that she is actively seeking for work or as I said above once she is employed her employer can sort this NI out for her.

Visit www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtombowski View Post
    with the NI number thing, . . . an easy way to find out is to contact the jobcentre

personally i don't know, but let us all know when you do find out, coz you're further on in your relationship than me so i'd like to know from your experiences what the lowdown is

and a big welcome to the UK to your wife!!!
    ta
    salamat
    Anything i can help you with or need advice with, just ask... We`ve had a busy 4 months since January, applying for visa`s,getting the visa,preparing for her coming.... But its all worked out and she`d here now, just settling in to her new home.. you take care too and i`m sure everything will work out for you two too

Respected Member
    She could either contact her local Jobcentre to apply a NI but she must show an ID and proof that she is actively seeking for work or as I said above once she is employed her employer can sort this NI out for her.

Visit www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk
    I think looking for work first and letting her employer sort it out sounds a better idea.. She`s just been here 4 days, so she has plenty time to settle in and get used to her new home before we worry about working. I just like to know the rules for this. Again, thanks for your time and advice

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingxrick View Post
    Hi Sala74, Congrats on your wife getting to Edinburgh safely, if you send me a private message with your contact mobile or landline phone number my wife Gingx2 Who is also from Cagayan De Oro would love to meet Mia and yourself maybe we can meet up soon and we can help to explain to Mia how to get her N I number, ging started work here in Fife 3 weeks after arrival in October last year. Ging will help Mia all she can. Just get intouch ok bye for now Ricky and Ging
    We plan to move over to Dunfermline in the summer, so we will be quite close to you both.. Once she has settled in a bit,she will love to get in touch with Ging.. We`ll be in touch soon...

Just to remind, register your wife to your GP asap, get her a utility bills under her name or both of your names, join her to your bank account, etc. she will need a proof that you've been living together for 2 yrs when she apply for ILR in the future.

Respected Member
    Just to remind, register your wife to your GP asap, get her a utility bills under her name or both of your names, join her to your bank account, etc. she will need a proof that you've been living together for 2 yrs when she apply for ILR in the future.
    We will go to the GP`S monday and also sort out bills in her name too.. Its so much to think and remember at the moment, but we`ll get there... We want to have time for the most important thing too, spending time together!!!!

yes its important you have bills and letters addressed to you both, from when she came to the uk until you apply for ILR. you need at least 20 spread evenly over the 2 years. and they have to be from at least 5 different sources.

is your wifes name mia or mai ? if its mia same as my wife's

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    yes its important you have bills and letters addressed to you both, from when she came to the uk until you apply for ILR. you need at least 20 spread evenly over the 2 years. and they have to be from at least 5 different sources.

is your wifes name mia or mai ? if its mia same as my wife's
    My wife is Mai, not the same woman!!!!!(i hope) We will built up our bills and evidence she lives here over the next few months

NI

If your wife can find work without an NI number, thats better but some employers dont accept applicants without an NI number and a bank account not unless its a cash job.

Better to apply for an NI while looking for a job because both takes time.
    insanity- doing the same thing over and over again,expecting a different outcome...

london well away from those people up norf
    You will for most jobs need to apply for your ni number yourself.

If you search on here there are details of the call centre you need to call who will arrange an interview so you can get a national insurance number.

Its far easier to apply for a ni number once you have a job but if you dont have a job if you can prove your wife is looking for a job (ie letters saying thank you for you application but no thanks from companies and/or showing your registerd to a job agency)

Companies can employ you with out a ni number my wife got a job at a coffe shop and they just used her dob and sex as temp number. What they were more intrested in was her passport with visa, and a bank account.
    As if they employ a person with out the right to work in the uk they can get fines of a few thousand quid!!

Maybe worth looking for a part time job where people are happier to except without ni number gain the ni number and move on.

Hi Sala74 why dont you take mai a walk up Easter Road there you will find the Philippines food shop, its at the bus stop just before you trun right to the hibs pitch.

Banned
    You can go to Jobcentreplus Galashiels to get NI number. Just bring your requirements i.e. passport, a letter proof of address, ID's. OR CALL Telephone 0845 600 0643 (8am - 6pm Monday to Friday)

Respected Member
    Hi Sala74 why dont you take mai a walk up Easter Road there you will find the Philippines food shop, its at the bus stop just before you trun right to the hibs pitch.
    we live right beside it, she`s been in a few times already, already sampled some delights from the philippines!!!

wow another from CDO welcome to the UK

we live right beside it, she`s been in a few times already, already sampled some delights from the philippines!!!
    Hi Sala, So you live next to the Philipinne shop in Easter Road, we normaly visit the shop on Thursdays around lunch time so will keep our eye open for both of you, hope to chat soon. Ricky and Ging

Respected Member
    Hi Sala, So you live next to the Philipinne shop in Easter Road, we normaly visit the shop on Thursdays around lunch time so will keep our eye open for both of you, hope to chat soon. Ricky and Ging
    I`ll be at work when your over on thursday, but Mai will take a walk over a see you, she goes in for a chat and some foods most days..

Thread Information