Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Trusted Member

Dengue Vaccine - Good News ... but be patient !

There is a global pandemic of dengue, the commonest mosquito - borne disease, caused by an RNA flavivirus. No curative drug or vaccine are yet available. Part of the problem has been that the virus only infects humans, and there are 4 strains. The " 4-S " prevention measures ( Search and destroy breeding sites ; Self - protection ; Seeking early supportive treatment ; Saying no to indiscriminate fogging / spraying agents ) clearly haven't worked. At last news comes from Laguna in the Philippines of an advanced trial of a vaccine by Sanofi - Pasteur ( http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/sho...rm=CYD08rank=1 ). The trial is to be extended to Cebu.
    It could be " fast - tracked " if no dangerous side - effects are discovered. But it could take until 2014 before the vaccine becomes available to the world...
    This is potentially excellent news for the Philippines ( where dengue was first reported 60 years ago ) and the world.
    Sadly, until the vaccine is available ( and affordable ) the number of cases of dengue seems destined to rise.
    Remember, treatment is supportive - bed rest, hydration, paracetamol ( NOT aspirin / ibuprofen which might aggravate internal bleeding ). That at least ensures that most people getting dengue will recover

Fingers crossed there will be an affordable vaccine soon.

Personally, I think Dengue is more frightening than Malaria.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    I was diagnosed with it in 1994...while living out in the province.

Well that's what the Doc seemed to think anyway...could have been something different.

My temperature was 41.5C, and I lost probably a couple of stone in weight in a few days. Actually couldn't walk without help.

Luckily I was normally strong and healthy, but something I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Fingers crossed there will be an affordable vaccine soon.

Personally, I think Dengue is more frightening than Malaria.
    Must say I tend to agree with.
    Although, I must say I had a work mate who did get Malaria, nearly killed him and eventually cost him his job. Last time I saw him was about 4 years ago and his personal life and working life was still seriously impacted. Maybe he is just unlucky I don't know.

Trusted Member
    Part of the problem with dengue is that pesticide resistance is increasing. Now it's just been reported in " Nature " that a team of Australian scientists have discovered a new way of preventing transmission. They infected mosquitoes with a bug ( Wolbachia ) which somehow stops them transmitting dengue. When these mosquitoes were released they interbred with " wild " mosquitoes, which in turn became resistant to dengue. Obviously further research needs to be done - in countries like Philippines and Thailand - but this method is cheap and apparently effective . It's further good news as evidence that dengue IS being taken seriously.
    http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1108....2011.503.html

Technology and research making a difference.
    Amazing how fast things can progress these days, given the investment.

Yes Doc, more good news... it seems this finding the "neutering gene " as it were is the best way forward on many nasty viruses out there
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Trusted Member
    Using nature to fight nature...got to be the best way.

Thread Information