Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Member

Stopping over in Hong Kong ? The legendary Chungking Mansions...

My home for over a year, and believe it or not....much loved, in a love/hate sort of way.

yes it has some great food and other attractions but many dangers LOL
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

I am sure TAWIII will have comments/memories of CKM

I had an apartment in Mid-Levels but used to visit Chunking at least weekly,had loads of mates in there,met some dodgy guys of all ethnicities,basically I f***ing loved the place,met some great women there,had some awesome curries,I even found a nepalese brothel once that catered for Gurkhas,it never closed,never slept and was always interesting whatever time you popped in,you always found something or met someone even if you werent looking for it or them

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    Yep, never a dull moment in Chungking.

One day we had to step over someone's body to get into the lift....Pakistani guy.
    He'd just been 'chopped' (hacked to death) by a bunch of Chinese, and the cops hadn't yet arrived.

Another time some guys from our hostel (mostly construction workers like me) had a big battle with with some Nepali workers from the next floor, right in 'Travellers' reception area....just like the bloody wild west.

Pakistani guy.
    He'd just been 'chopped' (hacked to death) by a bunch of Chinese, and the
    There was a scouse bouncer used to live in chungking,he was chopped several times for throwing a triad down some stairs,he lost a finger etc whilst protecting his head I also remember some chinese guy being chopped and dying of blood loss just off nathan road around the corner from Chungking My mate scotch Kieth was near Bottoms Up(Made famous through the man with the golden gun)when he threw an apple at a she-male prostitute,the chick-with-dick threw some incredible punches,I couldnt do a thing as I was creased up in stitches at the scene

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    Ah, my friend also worked as a bouncer there, at a Triad owned and run night club (I suppose they all are ).

Some of the stories he used to tell me were pretty shocking.

He was basically permitted to do anything to misbehaving punters....bar actually killing them.

Maybe that approach would quieten things down a bit over here too.

Respected Member
    This sounds reasurring, im staying at a dodgy mansion place at 54 Nathan Road in a few weeks...the Cosmic Inn if you know it. It was the cheapest place I could find that didn't look too flea bitten, its about 500 hkd a night which is cheap for Honkers. Im staying at the Evergreen in Jordan a few weeks later, that looks a little bit better.

54-56 is Mirador Mansions the next one up,its an up-market version of chungking,a sanitised version,neither the ambiance nor the characters,I knew a guy who hung himself on the roof for whatever reason back in the 1990's

Trusted Member
    Yes, Mirador is a sort of Chungking 'annexe'.
    Its biggest advantage is that there are hardly any stairs to climb, or lifts to share cheek to cheek with several large sweaty Nigerians.

You'll survive.

Just keep an eye on your stuff.

When I first stayed in Chungking my bunk in the dorm for 6 was 50hkd a night.

I later moved into my own room for a princely 110hkd...less drugs and illegal immigrant raids too.

illegal immigrant raids too
    I got locked up for 18 hours in Wanchai nick once when the cops were checking people outside Big Apple,I didnt have any form of ID whatsoever so was held till someone turned up with my HK ID card,the 18 hours flew over quickly as I was chatting with Illegal nigerians and indians

Respected Member
    Sounds appealing I might have to break the bank and book somewhere a bit nicer....a skip in a back alley outside a roasted duck cafe will do

Respected Member
    it doesnt look too bad on their website http://www.cosmicguesthouse.com/
    I'm only there for 2 nights anyway

Trusted Member
    It's a well known place, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Could be worse,I still remember stepping inside Kowloons walled city in 1989 or 1990,now THAT was scary at night,especially for a kid it was a twilight zone of drugs,prostitution and crime Home sweet home

Respected Member
    At least it's a bit closer to the entertainment in Honkers, when I stayed there in Dec and Jan I was a bit further out of town near Mong Kok.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I got locked up for 18 hours in Wanchai nick once when the cops were checking people outside Big Apple,I didnt have any form of ID whatsoever so was held till someone turned up with my HK ID card,the 18 hours flew over quickly as I was chatting with Illegal nigerians and indians
    lol! Now you've reminded me of my friend (bouncer/plant operator) who was taken off to the cop shop after an 'affray' in Travellers, during which he'd been whacked round the back of the head with a baseball bat , and was actually an innocent party...comparatively speaking.

Anyway, he was so miffed by being dragged off, that next morning when the cops said he wasn't being charged and could go, he refused to leave unless they first sent in a senior (British) officer to apologise, and a McDonalds 'Big Breakfast', because he was hungry.

They eventually agreed.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Could be worse,I still remember stepping inside Kowloons walled city in 1989 or 1990,now THAT was scary at night,especially for a kid it was a twilight zone of drugs,prostitution and crime Home sweet home
    Sounds like Ermita

Trusted Member
    Ah, that human funfair...

Sounds like Ermita
    Even in its heyday back when I first visited 20+ years ago Ermita was never like the walled city,that place was truly something else,I dont know if theres any footage of it anywhere online but it was triad run,I walked around often and never saw another gweilo inside I remember ermita BEFORE it was closed down by mayor Lim.

in Travellers, during which he'd been whacked round the back of the head with a baseball bat
    I knew a guy in Mirador who opened his flat door and was bottled by ginger-jason over some minor dispute or another

Was the movie CHUNGKING EXPRESS about the mansion?

Trusted Member
    Yes !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Express

Funnily enough I played a Hong Kong police inspector in a movie, but that was about 1995.

Came over all nostalgic for a moment I remember one night several of us decided to sneak into Ocean Park and swim with the dolphins,they all got p*ssed as newts before we went and decided we should just sneak into Kowloon Park and swim there instead,about 15 of us climbed the fence and spent a thoroughly enjoyable night in the Pool

Trusted Member
    Me, the ex and some friends (in Ermita).

My bouncer friend is the big guy, second from right:

gret pics and memories of a an unforgetable place, got me to thinking of all the crazy stuff we got up to when living out there.. used to run (well run and drink a lot) with the wan chai hash house harriers (vehicle for many Brit/Filipina marriages) the infamous men only Royal Southside hash (my honey has still not forgiven me for the Club Bunnys incident lol) procured without consent a junk out of Aberdeen harbour and went island hopping for the weekend.... hid a police car from the officers who stupidly left the keys in it... and generally just had a fab time. Pity about the polution levels these days, even the family area of Discovery bay on Lantau is getting bad otherwise we would look to head back with the little ones

Graham,that bouncer geezer looks remarkably like Big Phil He lived in mays place(Big-phil)married a tiny Pinay half his size,went off to Guimaras for a while,last I heard he was back in the UK.
    Scott,I think we all did strange things,most cant be revealed for fear of imprisonment

That guys profile DOES look scarily like big-phil

Trusted Member
    My lips are sealed....in the interests of a certain person's privacy.

What a small world, eh ?

I KNEW it was him,but there was a slight moments hesitancy as there was someone else in the pic I didnt recognise

Now you have me wondering about all of the other truckers I knew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information