Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with the ban - I think it has its place but not in a society where it helps mask pretty bad crimes.
    only 2 have been mentioned here but those IMHO were 2 crimes too many.

On a funny side when I went to Penang on the beach were quite a few burkha clad groups having their group photos taken, I can see in 20 years the person holding the photo asking "which one was me?"

Its the lighter side of life we have to focus on isnt it..

interests me why would anyone want it banned, by banning it what will it stop
    so your not interested in what the burka is for,its function?Its for the subjugation of women,visit Afghanistan sometime,its an eye-opener,women are relegated to dog-like status what will we allow to seep into our society next,sharia courst?Oh,sorry,we already have underground sharia operating in several parts of this country,ok,what about underage marriages?Its perfectly acceptable in islam to marry a 9 year old isnt it?Should we ban Ibrahim from birmingham wanting to marry his cousin who is underage but residing in Peshawar and stop him bringing her here?They protect their beliefs and their society,we should do likewise

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

so what are the reasons for banning in it france and now belgium
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

im not that interested but what interests me why would anyone want it banned
    BAB this says it all you have no idea what its original purpose was/is you just dont like the idea of it being banned France and belgium probably banned it because it contravenes a womans right to be human,without the religious brainwashing from birth and without the dominance of an islamic husband most women would like their faces bathed in sunlight not swathed in cloth

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

the burka doesnt bother me, so i just cant see the purpose of banning it or the reason why it needs banning because after a ban, what difference will it make.

What difference will banning it make?It might make women who are no longer forced to wear it feel just a little more human,it might make husbands who can no longer force their wives to wear it integrate into the society they have chosen to live
    They wear Burka because they are commanded by Islam to cover their bodies and not to show it to any outsider person. For this reason, Muslim women use various methods to cover their bodies. Some use scarves, some veils, and some Burka; the basic objective remains the same.

At the end of the day its only islamic men who compell their wives to walk around like black-cloth postboxes I am sure if the women werent afraid to air their views they would choose not to view the world through a gauze veil Have you ever lived in an islamic country BAB?

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    At the end of the day its only islamic men who compell their wives to walk around like black-cloth postboxes I am sure if the women werent afraid to air their views they would choose not to view the world through a gauze veil Have you ever lived in an islamic country BAB?
    if you read many of the posts in this forum, some would say we already are

i have little interest either living in or visiting a islamic country and have never seen anyone in the uk wearing a burka.

have never seen anyone in the uk wearing a burka.

Trusted Member
    bornatbirth.....you need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    cant see what the fuss is about.
    Neither can I, personally. Oddly enough, I was requested to remove my leather trouser-belt going through 'Security' at Prestwick Airport when Myrna & I were about to board our Ryanair flight to Rome last month. What a kerfuffle that turned out to be ... I'd already spent ages in getting the confounded thing through the [much smaller] loops on my trousers before setting off from home.

Needless to say, I wasn't too happy at having to struggle for almost 5 minutes each side of the scanner in order to comply with the couple of seconds it takes to walk through. But I'd no choice! Luckily, that was the only time during our holiday that I was asked to perform like some kind of contortionist stripper within crowded confines.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Ah ... he's like me in that respect, Graham. We Moderators need to keep all you lot in order.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Slough, Sparkbrook & Alum Rock B'Ham, Luton, Leicester, Dewsbury for starters

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Ah ... he's like me in that respect, Graham. We Moderators need to keep all you lot in order.
    Taken in the spirit that was intended by you Arthur.

Some others just enjoy trying to wind members up in a rather childish way though, and that is just plain irritating and not at all amusing. It just spoils what is otherwise a pleasant board to chat on.

It's a funny thing to wear,I drive around Harrogate not a Burka or veil in sight,drive into Bradford and they are everywhere.
    I think it looks sinister and something which should remain in the past.
    It just makes things worse and openly segregates one culture from another and we know where that leads:omg
    It's good to see more and more countries banning it although due to our limp wristed politicians and the fact it's too widespread I can't see it being banned here in the forseeable future
    Also to me it's a lack of respect for western culture-When i was in Thailand and entered Buddist temples I took my shoes off and refrained from taking photos as requested Ie I respected their way of life and traditions.
    Same should apply here !

When i was in Thailand and entered Buddist temples I took my shoes off and refrained from taking photos as requested Ie I respected their way of life and traditions.
    Same should apply here !
    EXACTLY
    If I became a Knight of the Klan,accepted their doctrine,truly believed in their cause,and strode around openly in my robes and hood would you defend as vehemently my right to do so BAB?

The real issue here in my opinion is the ever growing discontent/uncomfortableness of western Europeans in general with the growing demands of their Islamic populations, who know everything about their "rights" and nothing about the obligations to contribute to and engage civily in the society they have "chosen" to live in. As an obvious manifestion of the segragation and isolation they exhibit the Burkha is an easy target as well as offending the majority held view in these western european countries of womens human and equal rights. The events in Norway by an insane christian fundamentalist COULD not and probably would not have happened if this creeping Islamisation had not been allowed to happen. I absolutely do not condone what he did but the underlying cause is obvious..... take away the unease and make it clear that to our minority muslim population that they need to observe and take account of OUR way of life if they wish to benifet from living here. As Graham pointed out, when working/holidaying in Muslim countries we take care not to offend and in some cases FEAR holding hands, wearing short sleeved shirts etc etc etc.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    The real issue here in my opinion is the ever growing discontent/uncomfortableness of western Europeans in general with the growing demands of their Islamic populations, who know everything about their "rights" and nothing about the obligations to contribute to and engage civily in the society they have "chosen" to live in.

As JFK said

"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country"

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Also to me it's a lack of respect for western culture-When i was in Thailand and entered Buddist temples I took my shoes off and refrained from taking photos as requested Ie I respected their way of life and traditions.
    Same should apply here !
    Completely agree Les A few months ago I was in Brunei and wanted to go inside the Sultan's Mosque. I was asked to take off my shoes, wear a long black gown and leave my camera and phone outside. That seemed reasonable to me. If you are in another land with different customs/rules you have to respect them and if you don't agree with them, go somewhere else.

Banned
    More encouraging news - Italy is set to join the list of sensible nations banning the Burka

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ha-public.html

We will only do it if there was a spate of sustained terrorism in UK methinks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information