Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Changing name in Passport

I'm getting married next month.

My problem now is I'm going to apply for FLR M so I can stay 2 years more (got in UK with my fiancee visa).

The passport I'm using will expire in 1 1/2 years. I'm planning to renew it and use the family name of my guy for the new passport.

Will the spousal visa issued to me will lose its validity if I have new name in my new passort?

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedMe View Post
    ....Will the spousal visa issued to me will lose its validity if I have new name in my new passort?
    The answer is NO. It will have no impact on validity
    The visa validity stands.

You should focus on having a happy wedding day, then making application for FLR
    Just be sure to complete all before your fiancee visa expires.

Once you have your 2 year FLR "in your hands" that's the time to consider such things as passport renewal and passport name changes.

Advance happy wedding day

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Thanks so much Terpe... (for the greeting and advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    The answer is NO. It will have no impact on validity
    The visa validity stands.

You should focus on having a happy wedding day, then making application for FLR
    Just be sure to complete all before your fiancee visa expires.

Once you have your 2 year FLR "in your hands" that's the time to consider such things as passport renewal and passport name changes.

I heard that when applying for jobs, some employers prefer to have the same name in the new passport and the spouse visa. Is it possible to change the old visa name to new one? HOw much is the cost for this to have the name changed?

I heard that when applying for jobs, some employers prefer to have the same name in the new passport and the spouse visa. Is it possible to change the old visa name to new one? HOw much is the cost for this to have the name changed?
    Hiya Confusedme....Welcome to the forum.
    It's really up your choice. After marriage u either ammend your passport from your maiden name to married name or wait till your passport expires.
    In my case, I got married in the Philippines 2008 but I chose not to ammend my Philippine passport as it will expire on 2012. I carry on using my Philippine passport till now but with my marriage contract handy. I arrive in the UK in the same year using my Philippine passport as ID to apply bank & job. U don't need to worry in the UK as u can carry the name of your choice. I am using Mrs. Bailey everywhere I go in the UK even at work & banks. Always remember, in every important transaction that u do, always follow the name in your passport. Don't worry too much. Focus on your marriage, chill, take one step at a time coz it will be all different when u arrive in the UK.
    Good luck & congratulations to your upcoming wedding.

Will the spousal visa issued to me will lose its validity if I have new name in my new passort?
    If u prefer to ammend your old passport from maiden name to married name in the Phils u may. It will not lose it's validity as they will attached your old passport to your new passport. But if it will expire 1 & 1/2 years, that's still quite long. When u are here in UK u may check this website to renew ur passport in the future & change it from maiden name to married name. It's really all up to u. http://www.philembassy-uk.org/

Not so.
    Employers (like most other organisations such as banks etc) need to know that you are legally resident and allowed to work.
    If you are married and using your husbands family name, they will also need to see your marriage certificate for confirmation.
    When taking your husbands family name the marriage certificate is the link to your maiden name that may still showing on your passport.

My best suggestion is to decide exactly what name you will use, and be sure to keep that for all activities (National Insurance,HMRC,GP,Banks,Employment etc)
    Keeping it simple will create less ID issues.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    If you decide to change the name on a passport which does not need to be renewed:

A Filipino passport can be amended by any consulate (My wife did it in Madrid). They just write your 'new name' in the old passport and stamp it. I assume DFA will do the same in Phil.

With a British passport in UK, the Passport Office can do the same.

Or as I keep saying. Under UK law there is no legal requirement to take the name of your husband, thus for everything, you can retain your maiden name, or if you wish, you can change your name to almost anything you wish, and have a passport in that name.

I notice you have to fill in a form - I may have got this wrong but it seems that within a year you have to tell the Phills embassy you have got married or you pay an £18 fine!
    http://philembassy-uk.org/rom-011009.pdf
    At the bottom it mentions the fee.

Quick question if I may?
    In the uk how many marriage Certs 'can' you get I recall someone suggesting you get a few done..

Thanks for this
    Tone

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Quick question if I may?
    In the uk how many marriage Certs 'can' you get I recall someone suggesting you get a few done..

Thanks for this
    Tone
    You can probably get as many copies as you wanna pay for.

However, I just used a copy of my birth cert, issued in 1941, to obtain an Irish Passport. I could have used it for a UK one too. They never 'run out' in UK

Tone I notice you have to fill in a form - I may have got this wrong but it seems that within a year you have to tell the Phills embassy you have got married or you pay an £18 fine!

That's what is says on the form (late registration)

Not surprised, The Phil Gov like to 'control' their citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Quick question if I may?

Thanks for this
    Tone
    I requested for 5 copies. Just for other future visa applications, passport name change / renewals...

Respected Member
    this is the same problem as me. Got married in the UK recently
    and i dont know what to do next :((

Thread Information