Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hi everyone.. i am new here and would appreciate any info ab EEA route into uk!

.. i was born in the uk fromrepublic of ireland parents and grandparents so i can obtain a irish passport..my wife and i were recently married in the philippines and we desperately would like to know if we can qualify for a settlement visa for her for the uk and we would appreciate any info abt whether we need to prove that we have large amounts of money and bank statements etc to back all this up as we dont have much money ,, however i haver a council flat here in London so this will be our home! we would appreciate any info from other members hu know abt the EEA route into the uk.thanks in advance

Trusted Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised you didn't research this before you got married.

Anyway, someone will be along shortly who has latest info.

In the meantime you'd be advised to take a look at the UKBA website.

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by pat090909 View Post
    .. i was born in the uk fromrepublic of ireland parents and grandparents so i can obtain a irish passport..my wife and i were recently married in the philippines and we desperately would like to know if we can qualify for a settlement visa for her for the uk and we would appreciate any info abt whether we need to prove that we have large amounts of money and bank statements etc to back all this up as we dont have much money ,, however i haver a council flat here in London so this will be our home! we would appreciate any info from other members hu know abt the EEA route into the uk.thanks in advance
    British citizens are not EEA nationals for the purpose of the European rules.
    That means that their family members don't qualify and need to apply under the national rules.

This had been challenged in the European Courts (commonly known and discussed as 'McCarthy')
    The new forms now ask if the EEA national also holds British citizenship. This MAY be in preparation of the implementation of ECJ McCarthy either fully or partly.

In short, it may be that the EEA route is no longer available if you are a UK citizen living in UK without previously and expressly exercising treaty rights.

Means UK and Irish citizenship.

The judgement has been made, and this is not seen as in your favour,but I haven't as yet studied it in detail.
    I strongly suggest you research this as I fear the Home Office (UKBA) may well not accept your EEA application in light of the ECJ ruling.

Normally I would research for you but this week I have to give priority to a number of other personal issues.

As Terpe has said they are trying to change the goal posts at the moment , but as far as I am aware you are still ok to go the EEA route . I have done it and it is a right for anyone from Europe living in uk and its free, your wife would get "residence" status for a period of 5 years and then she can apply for permanent residence.
    M&M

Personally, I've never understood WHY - being a member state of the European Union - does NOT qualify under the EEA Regulations. Similarly ... I wasn't aware of any changes afoot regarding the present setup. However, one of my Moderatorial colleagues, a man known as 'Joe Bloggs', can probably point you in the right direction, Pat ... so stay tuned. Meanwhile, to the friendly, online filipino/uk community.

Pat.
    please check this website
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/

welcome
    love makes life worth living

.. thanks Arthur, ur a pal

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Personally, I've never understood WHY - being a member state of the European Union - does NOT qualify under the EEA Regulations. Similarly ... I wasn't aware of any changes afoot regarding the present setup. However, one of my Moderatorial colleagues, a man known as 'Joe Bloggs', can probably point you in the right direction, Pat ... so stay tuned. Meanwhile, to the friendly, online filipino/uk community.
    ..thanx Arthur, ur a pal

thanks for all the help and guidence to each and everyone of you great guys here.. :Hellooo
    .. lets just hope that the ukba havent pulled the plug ..plz keep the advice coming bcos my wife and i really do appreciate hearing from genuine folk hu are or have faced the same situation as us

salamat 4 the sweet-note

salamat 4 the sweet-note

salamat 4 the sweet-note

thanks terpe, i knew there was an ongoing battle in the high courts for the past 5 years or so, cant remember exactly how long but i didnt know that they had reached a decision.. i just hope and pray that they havent pulled the rug from under my feet i wondered why they have (or are abt to) introduce passport control between the uk and ireland..

cheers maria.. i did check out the link that you gave and the EEA4 applicaion form looks very promising.. lets just hope that its still valid as they seem to be changing things so rapidly !

thanks

cheers Graham.. everyone is so kind here

thanks.. its nice ti be here

Respected Member
    Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum! My husband and I also got married in the Phils last June 4. We also planning to go for an EEA route. My husband lives in Belfast, N. Ireland. We will see what we can do about the application. There are lovely and helpful people in the forum would like to help us.....

HI Pat

Welcome to this friendy forum im sure you will receive all the help & guidance you need on this fantastic forum

For all members with dual UK/Irish citizenship and thinking about utilising the EEA route
    please read this.

The European Court of Justice has handed down it's ruling in the case of McCarthy v Secretary of State for the Home Department (Case C-434/09)

Read more about the McCarthy judgement here

At the moment the Home Office DOES grant EEA family permits and residence cards to family members of persons in this situation. However, please note that the status granted is not legally held, it is solely based on a policy decision by the Home Office.
    Until there is any official announcement from the Home Office based on the legal comments from the experts on European law, no-one can make predictions.

However, be informed that in the case where an EEA family permit or a residence card DOES GET REFUSED based on this decision it would be legally correct.

I think all anyone can do for the moment is either wait and see what happens, or make (expensive) application in the 'usual way'.

thanks Mike.. very heartwarming info

cheers Steve.. nice to be here with you guys

hi there mary.. my wife and i got married at xmas tym in dagupan ph. so we have been apart for for 7 months now.. its so hard, especially when we had to part outside the airport in minila bcos she wasnt allowed inside and also having to say farewell so soon after our wedding .. yes there are lovely and helpful ppl here in this forum and were very grateful for all the info we can find.. best wishes to you and ur hubby and i hope ur application will be a success

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    This had been challenged in the European Courts (commonly known and discussed as 'McCarthy').
    I'm not so sure this is all so straight forward Terpe, If i remember correctly 'Mc Carthy' was not working, so she wasn't exercising her treaty rights.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Hi Pat,

My husband and I got married last June 4, we are separated for 1 month as of now. Quite sad, but we have to deal with it. Its good thing in Cebu-Mactan International Airport, that will allowed to go out after check in so we still have time to spend just a few hours before he go. We are not really starting yet to gather the requirements, as I have to process MC to request in the NSO, etc...still browsing and searching and sort all things.

Anyway, wish u also goodluck. Hope everything will fine.

Ann

cheers maria.. i did check out the link that you gave and the EEA4 applicaion form looks very promising.. lets just hope that its still valid as they seem to be changing things so rapidly !
    anytime for your future reference as well:
    http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...ting-uk/visas/
    http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/

Thread Information