Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

? ... Members' Meet-up

Having just typed a belated to a Filipina who happened to join our ranks while I was on holiday, it prompts me to resurrect a question that has cropped up from time to time throughout the years I've been a member.

Of course, I realise the 's been mooted several times in the past to no avail ... not least for reasons of the diverse impracticalites involved in bringing together people from virtually all parts of the UK. And, there again, a goodly number of our friends are still - as yet - living in the Philippines.

But, for folk who've not long set foot on the somewhat [recently]-dampened soil of 'England's "green" and pleasant land' - and may-well be missing all that has hitherto been familiar to them - it COULD just prove to be the kind of "pick-me-up" needed to alleviate feelings of homesickness.

Since the vast majority of those who have settled here already are domiciled either in the Midlands or around London & the Home Counties, it'd make sense to choose a suitable venue somewhere in deepest England ... and I for one, would be perfectly happy with such an arrangement.

Going back to 1993, for example ... following the death of an uncle of mine on my mother's side ... my brother suggested the surviving nephews and nieces of our generation might like to hold some form of social gathering. As a fair few of our cousins had, over the years, migrated south, we plumped for a "central" location ... and, in the end, chose Blackpool.

So ... does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Respected Member
    I met a few of the East Midlands based members last December at the Leicester Filipino Christmas party and also met The Boss and Rayna in Manila earlier this year It's always nice to meet people you become friends with via chat or forums, and I would love to meet up with other members if something could be arranged

? ... Members' Meet-up

Where??? and When???
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    I met a few of the East Midlands based members last December at the Leicester Filipino Christmas party and also met The Boss and Rayna in Manila earlier this year It's always nice to meet people you become friends with via chat or forums, and I would love to meet up with other members if something could be arranged
    Yes ... I remember that, Ian; it's always great to meet friends one's made on forums such as ours - wherever it may be - and, if Keith were agreeable, it might be worthwhile raising a thread ... and conducting a poll ... highlighting a variety of English cities and/or towns suitable for the purpose - not necessarily Blackpool. (I imagine Lancashire's famous "Illuminations" ain't gonna be "everyones' - especially those from rivalling Yorkshire!)

lands end is 20 mins from me
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Gr8 idea!

Blackpool
    Harrogate is lovely

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

Of course, I realise the 's been mooted several times in the past to no avail ... not least for reasons of the diverse impracticalites involved in bringing together people from virtually all parts of the UK. And, there again, a goodly number of our friends are still - as yet - living in the Philippines.
    So ... does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
    I've met members both in UK and Philippines, and - as with any relationship - it's so much better than online friendship alone. Good to know that. more or less wherever we travel in the two countries, there's likely to be trusted friend(s). Bed and breakfast in Perth sounds good ( as indeed in Scarborough, or Harrogate ... but not Blackpool ! ) .
    Obviously notifications on the forum about Barrio Fiestas ( or wedding invitations ) are good ways to arrange meetings. We all recognise the difficulties because of distance, but well done Arthur for reminding us

i for one would love the idea of meeting others, since becoming a member here and marrying my beautiful emma we have made some great new friends, we meet when we can stay over too, we are in derbyshire,nottingham, stoke, leicester and northampton, its better seeing folk face to face and if this could happen then lets try it, lots should volunteer more advice where and when we could do this, it would take some planning but something could be sorted i am sure, by the way i am trying to sort out a little gathering this month, its been 1 whole year on july 31 since emma put foot on this fair shore, so if anyone is around derby that saturday let me know

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    ? ... Members' Meet-up

Where??? and When???
    You missed it, it was yesterday, but we forgot to tell you

bring the ladies to Birmingham on a Saturday, drop them at the bullring shopping centre, men go for several beers, meet up with them at Brindley place, head off for a curry mile curry in Balsall heath, I can arrange an excellent hotel discounted in posh Solihull then on Sunday morning drop the ladues with Ł30 each at a giant car boot sale and watch them buy half of the entire stock. Happy ladies and lots of brownie points for us
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    its been 1 whole year on july 31 since emma put foot on this fair shore, so if anyone is around derby that saturday let me know
    Time's flown by Steve, I can't believe it's almost a year already. It only seems like yesterday you were getting really excited and counting down

You missed it, it was yesterday, but we forgot to tell you
    how can i missed that??
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

so quick ian, seems like yesterday, so much has happened for lots of us

Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    bring the ladies to Birmingham on a Saturday, drop them at the bullring shopping centre, men go for several beers, meet up with them at Brindley place, head off for a curry mile curry in Balsall heath, I can arrange an excellent hotel discounted in posh Solihull then on Sunday morning drop the ladues with Ł30 each at a giant car boot sale and watch them buy half of the entire stock. Happy ladies and lots of brownie points for us
    sounds good but i shall have to come in one of the companies lorry if there is a car boot and she has a full Ł30 to spend

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    yeah lets all meet! but as of now can we meet in Manila? haha

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Now that sounds like a lovely idea, Rayna ... only problem IS ... ... and loads OF it!

Respected Member
    In another 5 and a half weeks

That's a splendid , Scott ... I've never been to Birmingham - let alone, Solihull - and, if you were able to arrange discounted accomodation at the hotel you mention ... then ... so much the better!

In another 5 and a half weeks
    ... wow ... lucky you, Ian! Scott's suggestion sounds ideal, though; mind you, it'd probably be best arranged for later in the year - say, late autumn - when most folks' holidays are over.

Respected Member
    More central location would be better..how about Dubai?

good idea Arthur, perhaps end of August just before schools go back might be a good time

good idea Arthur, perhaps *end of August just before schools go back might be a good time
    Hmm ... only thing IS ... on re-reading this thread - and from what others have mentioned elsewhere - I get the impression at least one member is likely to be in the Philippines around *that particular time. September/October could-well turn out to be more suitable for the majority, therefore. Leave it with me, though, Scott ... and, tomorrow afternoon, I shall compile a list in order that members interested can check their respective holiday arrangements, social calendars, etc. and indicate their date(s) of preference.

just met scott and ligaya together with their children last thursday...what a lovely family

forum kids meet up (nathan, josh and nicole)
    Last edited by malditako; 9th July 2011 at 18:53. Reason: photo posted

thank you Grace, Ligaya spoke with Marilyn(both Illocanos) and we are on for next Saturday and her little ones 1st b,day, c u there.

Arthur
    Ok lets fix up something around the end of Sepetember ( Nicole is 2 on the 28th ) seems like a good excuse for a get together.

Ok lets fix up something around the end of September ( Nicole is 2 on the 28th ) seems like a good excuse for a get together.
    ... it does indeed, Scott - except that the 28th falls midweek when most folk are at work. So how about I suggest the weekend immediately following ... i.e. Saturday 30th/Sunday 1st?

ok let me check with my friendly hotel manager for that weekend

ok let me check with my friendly hotel manager for that weekend
    ... great!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    So how about I suggest the weekend immediately following ... i.e. Saturday 30th/Sunday 1st?
    Arthur, Scott&Ligaya, just looking at my diary, I guess you mean Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Arthur, Scott&Ligaya, just looking at my diary, I guess you mean Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October ?
    Oops ... , Alan ... you're right ... it IS Saturday & Sunday, 1/2nd October - YES!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information