Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

MINANTRA

End study after marriage?

Hi people,
    My partner is currently in UK on a study visa which ends Feb 2012, however, we are getting married August 20th
    My question is, does she need to finish her study at college and then apply for a spouse visa, or can she apply for a spouse visa after we have married and stop studying at college after 20th?

How much does a spouse visa cost? How long does it take to receive the spouse visa?

Many thanks in advance for all help.

MINANTRA
    We are getting married August 20th 2011.

i take it your British, if so she can apply for FLR(M) anytime after your married but before her student visa expires.

cost i think is £550 by post, or £850 at a PEO (same day)

how long it takes probably around 4wks+

and dont forget your wife might need to pass an english language test before she can apply for FLR(m)
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Mate, I don’t want to be the one that’s gonna piss on your parade, but it ain’t as clear-cut as you think.

Your partner arrived on a study visa, and that cannot be extended by applying for the FLR.

The fact that you are getting married is immaterial ….. as they (the Embassy / UKBA) has not at any time granted you a spouse/fiancé visa. Granted, the authorities have “sanctioned” the marriage, but under the law they cannot do anything but.

(Look at it this way….. eg, u go to the Philippines & marry a girl. You’d still have to apply for a spouse visa to bring her to the UK, which would be dependent on conforming to UKBA regulations….. so why is it any different if u marry here ?)

Yes, you can apply for the FLR but it is likely to be refused. The UKBA “advice” will likely be, go back to the Philippines & apply from there. From my recollection, you cannot apply for the spouse visa whilst here (in the UK).

Look at this thread ……http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....on-for-the-FLR

This young girl (and her husband, who I know very well) arrived on a visitor’s visa …… now substitute “visitor’s visa” for “study visa” ….. you see the problem ???
    No man is an island, but Barry is

it is possible for someone on a student visa to marry and switch visa's and stay in the uk without having to go back to the phils

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pa...tners/#header2

visit visa is different, - there in no switching .. but if she held out long enough she might have been able to stay..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Ah .... wasn't aware of that.

So technically, could you arrive on a visitor's visa, apply to switch to a study visa, and if successful, then marry & apply for a spouse visa ?

no bluebirdjones in simple terms no switching from a visit visa to anything else, (only switching might be to a unmarried partner visa- but your friend is married) but i think your friend should have applied for FLR using article 8 of the human rights act, and used FLR (o) (outside immigration rules), and asked for discretionary leave to remain, but it could take years to be granted

whats happened to her now ? any ideas ??

Joe, I'll PM you.

BBJ

Thread Information