Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Change of Name

Change of Name

Hi Everyone,

I got married on the 17th May in Zamboanga. Am currently working with capital visas to organise all of the paperwork and application etc. Our Caseworker advised in April, that my wife Christine shouldn't change her name on her passport and other documents as it would complicate matters. Is this true do you know? my wife Christine is keen to change her family name, what I guess I would like to know is, Once Christine is here with me in england, is it possible for her to change her name? would she need to apply to the philippine embassy in London to do this? I find the whole matter pretty confusing. Thanks for your replies in advance.
    Cheers
    John

Hello,

Perhaps I posted this on the wrong forum, I have read about some name changes on other forums, can anyone tell me the time lines from as my mahal says, "changing my status", does anyone know if it will interfere with other evidence like WU reciepts being in her maiden name if we do change her name? If I am in the wrong forum, could a kindly moderator please move this post for me?
    Many thanks
    Enjoy your day
    John

John, some people like to change everything to their married name asap and other prefer to wait. It really makes no difference technically as the marriage certificate is the 'audit trail' of ID

The actual process and time it takes can cause difficulties and delays etc. It depends if you are planning the visa sooner rather than later.

Thanks Terpe,

Planning the visa application soon, so I won't rock the boat trying to change names on the wife's passport etc, I hope that she will be able to change it while she is here. Visa Submission will be booked at VFS on 13th July, fingers crossed. If things don't go according to plan, (gahhh they had better!!) I am planning on moving to Zamboanga permanantly. Am hoping we will have around 5 years here in England, then move back to the pines anyway. Thanks for the info though Terpe. All advice is appreciated

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    John, this s repeat of what I said in another thread:-

Don't worry about names.

In UK one can chose to change their name at any time, providing it is not for a dishonest reason nor appears to give one a title such as Sir, or Lord. So could not be Lord John Smith. etc.

I changed my name 25 years ago by Common Law. I just said as from a certain date I am now J....... C ---------- I got a note from a police officer ( person who can countersign an application) to say he had known me for a number x years and that as of ..... I had changed my name. I went to Passport Office got my new passport in my new name, no reference to birth name, and over the few weeks changed my DL, Credit cards, medical card etc.

One can also make the change by statutory declaration (pay a solicitor to say you have done it) and then if one wishes they can register the change with a Deed Poll, but this is not a legal requirement I did not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightc6 View Post
    Thanks Terpe,

Planning the visa application soon, so I won't rock the boat trying to change names on the wife's passport etc, I hope that she will be able to change it while she is here. Visa Submission will be booked at VFS on 13th July, fingers crossed. If things don't go according to plan, (gahhh they had better!!) I am planning on moving to Zamboanga permanantly. Am hoping we will have around 5 years here in England, then move back to the pines anyway. Thanks for the info though Terpe. All advice is appreciated
    Sounds like a good plan. Hope all goes well.

Cheers for the details John, I will forward it to my other half

Hello Knightc6,

In my case, I still carried out my maiden name in my passport & it's so annoying that I always have a copy of our marriage contract with me. But instead to ammend my passport while I was in the Philippines or ammend it in the Philippine Embassy Manila, I just decided to wait until my Philippine passport expire on 2012. I knew that your behalf is excited just like me. Here in the UK, I am bringing my married name. Everytime I was asked for my passport, it's still my maiden name but with my marriage contract there's no problem at all. I am carrying out my married name which is Mrs. Bailey at work, bank, NHS, GP and everytime I went for my ante natal. Enough about myself but it's really all up to both of you. Amend her Philippine passport from her maiden name to married name, or wait a bit until her Phil passport expire? because when she's in the UK, she can bring her married name everywhere just like me. Take note...every important document that you both will do, always follow the name in the passport & have the marriage contract handy.
    Good Luck and say hello to your Mahal.

(or ammend it in the Philippine Embassy Manila,) opppsss I meant in Philippine Embassy London. sorry...

Respected Member
    Or decide to keep your maiden name. It's your choice in UK.

You do not have to change your name on marriage.

John, ... as your 'Capital Visas' caseworker advises - and others here have confirmed - it's much better that Christine leaves her passport and supporting documents in her maiden name to avoid any delay in applying for Settlement. Besides, she'll have plenty time to change her details at the Phils' Embassy in London following her arrival in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria B View Post
    Hello Knightc6,

Take note...every important document that you both will do, always follow the name in the passport & have the marriage contract handy.
    , Maria ... !

I know. AS what the wife said, she wants to change it and it's their choice. While me, I choose to keep my Philippine passport under my maided name till it expire while using my married name anywhere in the UK @work, national insurance, nhs, GP.....
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Or decide to keep your maiden name. It's your choice in UK.

You do not have to change your name on marriage.

I know. AS what the wife said, she wants to change it and it's their choice. While me, I choose to keep my Philippine passport under my maided name till it expire while using my married name anywhere in the UK @work, national insurance, nhs, GP.....
    ... and that is perfectly OK! My wife's passport doesn't expire until 2013. It was issued in HER maiden name 3 months prior to our wedding ... and SHE now has Indefinite Leave to Remain. But to enable her to travel abroad more freely, she WILL have it renewed next year after applying for - and [hopefully] gaining - British Citizenship.

oh that's lovely. I am also holding the same...'indifinite leave to remain' and hopefully...'british citizenship' on August...eekkk time flies.

Respected Member
    :............. while using my married name anywhere in the UK @work, national insurance, nhs, GP.....
    I know I am splitting hairs, but what you are doing is choosing to use your husband's surname.

You could have keep/put everything in your name and maybe just used 'Mrs' before it if you wanted to, but again it's just a matter of choice.

I know my saying this may upset some shoganistic males and get the support of some 'women's libbers' but it's the way things really are, legally.

am going to use my fieancee surname when we marry and may put mine as middle who says its has to be your husbands name you take

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    : who says its has to be your husbands name you take :
    Maybe about 80% plus of the population of the UK think it's a legal requirement.

For those who would like to read more about this (can't imagine there can be many) http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articl...memarriage.asp.

(But just one point, that article says/implies that a man can't change his name, but he can).

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    I know I am splitting hairs, but what you are doing is choosing to use your husband's surname.

You could have keep/put everything in your name and maybe just used 'Mrs' before it if you wanted to, but again it's just a matter of choice.
    yeah, I chose to be called Mrs. Bailey

Thread Information