Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Flights to Manila

Hello all

I noticed a few people suggesting they had flown to Manila for sub £500!!
    I have flown there directly from the UK (Birmingham) on Emirates twice now at £800+ return via Dubai with a 3 hr stop over (exhausting to say the least)!

Can you let me know roughly what you've paid and route taken as I dont believe there is a direct flight?

I want to take a trip over if possible before my baby comes to the UK and then I am paying for her flight to come over and her Mothers towards our wedding, so any savings here would be really useful.
    I have amassed enough miles on Emirates for a return flight to manila just for the taxes, but would prefer to keep collecting!

Thank you

Tone

Respected Member
    I've flown to the Far East 6 times in the last 2 yrs and have 2 more flights booked this year. I usually go from BHX as it's closer for me, but if LHR offers a substantial saving (ie, £100 plus, I will consider it)

From BHX the only choices you have are KLM and Emirates. I've never managed to get a BHX-MNL flight for less than £610. However, I've managed to get HKG flights for sub £500 and SIN for around £550. If you can pick up a cheap flight from HK or SG to MNL it can work out cheaper, plus you get the option to spend a few days in HK or SG (which I highly recommend). If you take the HK or SG options from BHX, there is a bit more choice as Lufthansa and Air France also fly to those destinations from BHX.

LHR can be a cheaper option, and I've managed to get flights from LHR - MNL for £530 with Cathay Pacific (via HKG) and £397 with Saudi (Via Jeddah/Riyadh).

You need to do a lot of homework and price comparisons to get the best deal, but as long as you don't mind considering other options such as HKG, SIN or KUL there are always good deals to be had.

Ignore the bucket shops, my experience is that the prices they advertise aren't genuine. I always book with www.netflights.com or direct with the airline.

Hello
    Thanks for that - I have lived in Kuala Lumpur for the last year odd so Singapore is a place I have been to a lot as well, but I do like the middle east stop off as it gives the body a bit of time to recover.
    I know from Singapore to manila is around 3.5 hours for flight (same from KL) but depends on the old stop over length.
    Whats saudi airlines like? £397 via Ridyha would be very useful as my fiancees brother works there and I wouldnt mind stopping there for a night to catch up with him!
    Thanks ever so much for the intel! Really useful.
    Tone

Actually the HK gives me a great idea in that I could get my Fiancee up to HK and we spend a couple of days there before heading south to Manila!
    Hmmm got me thinking - Thank you!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Actually the HK gives me a great idea in that I could get my Fiancee up to HK and we spend a couple of days there before heading south to Manila!
    Hmmm got me thinking - Thank you!
    You're welcome Glad you found my reply helpful

I'm doing it that way again myself in Aug, BHX - HKG flight with Emirates was around £500, and a Cebu Pac return from HKG to MNL was around £75. So £575 approx from BHX - MNL with a few nights in HKG at the start and end of my trip. I did the same thing in Dec/Jan using KLM/Air France and PAL, the price was about the same, and PAL upgraded me to Business Class on the 747 from HKG - MNL

If you like KUL and SG I'm sure you'll love Honkers, many similarities, but many differences too. Obviously it's very Chinese, but like SG it's very modern, clean and safe. HK is what SG would be like if it had a soul and wasn't so sterile.

As far as Saudi go, I've not flown with them before so I can't comment accurately. However, I've read mixed reviews about them...I'll make up my own mind after I've used them.

My favorite Airline are without a doubt Emirates KLM, Qatar, Gulfair, Cathay Pacific don't come close for quality of service, food, quality of aircraft and cleanliness of aircraft. I flew to the Phils and back a few weeks ago with Cathay and was really looking forward to going with them, and to be honest I was disgusted by the filthy state of the aircraft on all outbound and inbound legs.

The other good thing about Emirates is the stop in Dubai, a chance to stretch your legs and for nicotine addicts like me, a chance to have a smoke

Respected Member
    Englishman2010 has given some good advice.

I used to fly to the Philippines via the Middle East, since it was cheaper, but I got fed up with the long flight times and stopovers. The best route is definitley via Hong Kong, and spending a couple of days there is great fun too. The cheapest deal I ever got on this route was £300, but those days (and that airline) are long gone!

But if you can get to HK, Singapore, KL, etc. cheaply, you can easily get to Manila using Cebu Pacific.

We've just booked tickets to Manila in October, flying at the weekends, with Malaysia Airlines. The tickets cost £550, which I thought was a great deal!

I think you'll be very lucky if you can get to Manila for less than £500.

I went with Saudi to Manila via Riyadh in January from Heathrow. Cost me £444 but you can get it cheaper, around £380 is the cheapest I've heard but you might need to be flexible on your dates and may have to travel on a weekday to get these prices. The airlines OK but nothing special but you'll need a visa to leave Riyadh airport. Like Englishman said, go direct to the airline or try netflights.

Banned
    Kuwait 10/8 to 15/9 £496

Singapore till 15/6 £675

http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/o...e,1/Itemid,37/

my stepson went to the phils in march for 3 wks paid around £540 with KLM. with only 1 or 2 hours stop over.

just need to keep your eyes open for any special offers
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Another option could be Royal Brunei. It does mean two stops though, one in Dubai and one in Brunei. I've just flown with them from Manila to Bandar on a round trip. They are a great airline, very modern and clean fleet, superb cabin service, excellent food and as a little quirk you even get a blessing in arabic before the flight departs The only downside is that it is a dry flight with no alcohol (Saudi are the same), but if you're not bothered about alcohol, it won't really be a problem.

edit: I'd rate them alongside Emirates, but Emirates would be my first choice purely because they fly from Birmingham and I enjoy a glass or two of Vin Rouge with my meals

Trusted Member
    For me, Manchester is the nearest UK airport (3 hours by direct train) for flights to Philippines. As Englishman says, you really need to shop around and if possible be flexible for dates.
    The cheapest flights I have found booking direct with KLM are 28 October - 18 November ( 3 weeks, so no extra charge for visa) at 741 GBP. Departure from Manchester is at 11.10 am, with a 1 hour stopover in Amsterdam, arriving Manila 8.55 am the next day ( 14 h 45 m travel time). An earlier departure ( 6 am) costs about 25 GBP less. The return flight departs Manila at 11.50 am, with just under 2 hours stopover in Amsterdam ( 17 h 25 m travel time). Even a few days later, flights are 60 GBP more.
    I did look at Emirates. For roughly the same dates ( 27 October - 17 November ) the flights are 733.60 GBP. However, for me, the times are less convenient. Departure is 9.40 am from Manchester, with a 7 h 20 m flight to Dubai, and nearly an 8 hour stopover, arriving at Manila 4.35 pm after an 8 h 50 flight. There are 3 other options for the same price, either connecting for a 3.45 am ( minimum stopover 3 h 30 m), or 9.45 am ( 9 h 30 m stopover) departure from Dubai. Inbound flights depart Manila at 00.20 am, just over 9 h to Dubai, with 2h 30 m stopover, and 7 h 50 m flight to Manchester arriving 6.25 pm.
    A year ago my return flights by KLM Manchester-Manila cost 528.50 .

shop and shop again for the best flights and once you are happy with the price you pay then thats it, we paid for ours in feb this year for the flights going out dec and returning jan, and are very happy with the price too

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    shop and shop again for the best flights and once you are happy with the price you pay then thats it,
    That's the right attitude Steve Once I've booked my flights, I really don't care if someone else gets the same flight £100 cheaper a month later. It's not important, I was happy with the price at the time and I paid that price. It's the same principal when you buy something in the shop and find out it's got a 20% discount in the sale a month later - That's life

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    That's the right attitude Steve Once I've booked my flights, I really don't care if someone else gets the same flight £100 cheaper a month later. It's not important, I was happy with the price at the time and I paid that price.... - That's life
    Well said Steve and Ian I notice the advert below your post says "Book now at KLM. com"

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Well said Steve and Ian I notice the advert below your post says "Book now at KLM. com"
    Thanks Alan, I'm pleased it wasn't an advert for herpes cream

I find Opodo has good deals, Cathay Pacific from Heathrow £650.00. Also, Royal Brunei are quoting £510.00 return from Heathrow for 14th June . Anyone flown with them? Any good ?

As my father said to me, son, i'm not Jewish i'm just a careful Christian

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I find Opodo has good deals, Cathay Pacific from Heathrow £650.00. Also, Royal Brunei are quoting £510.00 return from Heathrow for 14th June . Anyone flown with them? Any good ?

As my father said to me, son, i'm not Jewish i'm just a careful Christian
    I've only flown shorthaul with Brunei, from Manila to Bandar Seri Begawan return. I was very pleased with them. The in flight crew were very friendly, the aircraft were very modern and spotlessly clean, the food was excellent. Overall I would rate them alongside Emirates
    The only possible downside for some is that they don't serve any alcohol on their flights.

It dawned on me the other day. When we get that damn Visa I dont care how much I have to pay to get my Mahal here - for me its whatever it takes - cos sometimes "it is what it is"!

But aside that its useful to see so many options of flights and the via HK is a good one.

Cheers
    Tone

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    But aside that its useful to see so many options of flights and the via HK is a good one.
    I've gone via HK the last couple of times and going that way again in Aug. It's a great place to spend a couple of days, and also has one of the best airports in the world. Another advantage of having a couple of days there is that when you get to Manila you've had a couple of nights sleep and aren't completely knackered when you meet your mahal.

If you want to see more of HK, Macau or Southern China and don't mind organised tours, I've found Viator to be the best and most competitive. I've used them for day tours in Singapore and HK and would highly recommend them to a solo traveller who doesn't know anything about the area. www.viator.com They also do private transfers to Kowloon hotels for about £14/£15, a Red airport taxi will be about £16/£17, but going back hotels lay on bus transfers for around £7/8

Cheers for that matey.

I loved Hong Kong took my Mahal there in March for her birthday.
    Had a lovely 4 days there.
    I was thinking if I go over I'll get her to meet me there. I'll see how things go.
    Thanks
    Tone

Thread Information