Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Skype on Smartphone in the Philippines

Is there anyone here using ''skype'' on their smartfone or cellphone in the Philippines ?? what network subscriber do you use??
    I want to buy my mum a smartphone and get in touch using skype to call and chat.

any advise please
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

i havent heard of that, only using a skype phone here and using the laptop there.

im not a expert have a look here http://www.pinoytechblog.com/archive...-for-your-lola
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    i have skype in my Nokia N8..i used it a few times to talk to Keith..best to use it when there's wifi..i'm on Globe and it works fine too..although no video calls as i first thought..

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    i have skype in my Nokia N8..i used it a few times to talk to Keith..best to use it when there's wifi..i'm on Globe and it works fine too..although no video calls as i first thought..
    thanks raynagirl, when you use skype with globe what plan are you using ? is there an extra data charge ?

i have a consumable postpaid plan so it won't have extra charges as long as you are still within your limit..for me i have GFlex1200, so i have Php1200 per month to consume..just make sure that internet charges are by time browsing and not per kilobyte..time browsing in Globe is Php5 per 15minutes regardless of how much kilobyte you download..

Make sure your mum po is aware the smartphone may "consume data" when she is not using it I dont know how tech minded your Mum Po is but I know of plenty of new non techy smartphone users who get a little upset with how much data they consume even when not doing anything with the phone

Worth finding one where data can be switched off when not using if calls on skype are not expected if she has no general day to day need of data services

From experience not all phones are easy to switch off the data services only and keep the phone radio on
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

you only have to make sure when connecting to the internet, it's settings for connections is "Always ask" so it won't automatically connect to the internet..also, make sure data connections are set to "Only when needed"..not sure how other smart phones do the settings but these are the way for nokia phones.

No idea about the Skype phone but calls from Skype to a UK land line is 0.0080 per minute..
    The problem is how to pay skype from here?? Our old UK credit and debit cards that we used to use for Skype have all expired..We have tried everything..Even Paypal wont except cash from the R.P so we cant load it via them either..The only way is bank transfer and all the charges that go along with it..(about 25 Quid from R.P)
    Really wish Skype would offer vouchers for sale via local retailers etc..
    I think they are missing a trick or two.

No idea about the Skype phone but calls from Skype to a UK land line is 0.0080 per minute..
    The problem is how to pay skype from here?? Our old UK credit and debit cards that we used to use for Skype have all expired..We have tried everything..Even Paypal wont except cash from the R.P so we cant load it via them either..The only way is bank transfer and all the charges that go along with it..(about 25 Quid from R.P)
    Really wish Skype would offer vouchers for sale via local retailers etc..
    I think they are missing a trick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Make sure your mum po is aware the smartphone may "consume data" when she is not using it I dont know how tech minded your Mum Po is but I know of plenty of new non techy smartphone users who get a little upset with how much data they consume even when not doing anything with the phone

Worth finding one where data can be switched off when not using if calls on skype are not expected if she has no general day to day need of data services

From experience not all phones are easy to switch off the data services only and keep the phone radio on
    thanks somebody,no problem being a techy mind , my mum survived and managed to use the big laptop i left in the Philippines ,the only thing that i want is for me to be able to contact her whenever i want as she is a pensioner now ,she loves to travel a lot and a smartphone with skype will be very useful to communicate with each other rather than bringing a big laptop all the time.

yes you are correct lot of smartphones like htc and blackberry is receiving bad reviews in the PH connecting to the internet, i think i will get nokia for her just need to read more reviews and make sure that it will really work well.

i have a consumable postpaid plan so it won't have extra charges as long as you are still within your limit..for me i have GFlex1200, so i have Php1200 per month to consume..just make sure that internet charges are by time browsing and not per kilobyte..time browsing in Globe is Php5 per 15minutes regardless of how much kilobyte you download..
    you only have to make sure when connecting to the internet, it's settings for connections is "Always ask" so it won't automatically connect to the internet..also, make sure data connections are set to "Only when needed"..not sure how other smart phones do the settings but these are the way for nokia phones.
    very helpful thanks again raynagirl, i will have to read more about this and make sure to contact Globe re the postpaid plans

Thread Information