Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

whats wrong in Paradise?

The 1st article below is posted on a tourism site about Palwan I guess trying to raise the awareness of the risk to the Paradise that I plan to retire to. Note the name of the local contact for the anti mining activists
    Gerry Ortega -- a local radio journalist

Paradise ravaged
    FROM THE HEART By Gina Lopez
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 , Philippine
    When I was in Puerto Princesa, amid the lush mangrove surroundings of San Carlos en route to Honda Bay, an official of PNNI, the Palawan Network of NGOs, sat beside me and showed me pictures that made my heart skip a beat. I have never been in favor of mining primarily because all I’ve seen or heard of it has been unfavorable. The advocates for mining can speak all they want but the fact remains that mining towns are among the poorest in the country. The incidents of destructive mining in the country far outnumber anything productive or progressive about it.

In February of this year I was able to witness a meeting of youth, NGOs and concerned citizens against the pervasive mining in Palawan. I was aghast to find out that there are 398 mining applications filed in this gorgeous land. UNESCO has even declared Palawan as a man and biosphere reserve — meaning the organization recognizes Palawan’s importance to the world! Knowing this, how can we possibly even consider or continue to allow the ravaging of this precious ecosystem? It should be noted that most of the mining is happening upland — sometimes at elevations 500 meters high, where there are existing indigenous tribes. This also adds to erosion, which can affect marine life and our coral reefs! I remember an old man who took a stand and complained about mining in his private rice field. Where’s the local consultation here? The priest beside me translated the man’s woes to me.

In March of this year, I signed a MOA with Tourism Secretary Ace Durano to help the department promote tourism in specific sites — initially Bicol, Batangas, El Nido and Puerto Princesa. This contract has been a real blessing because it has led me to experience firsthand, and in an increasingly deep way, the awesomeness of our country. And the decibels do not stop increasing.

It was in this personal space — feeling overwhelmed by the beauty of this land — that the photographs were shown to me. And they struck me; they actually pained me. It was almost physical. I couldn’t even bear to look at the other pictures. At least not in this space.

Back home in Quezon City, in my office, I told Teta, my assistant, “Okay, show me the pictures.” Steeling myself, I flipped the pages. I read the facts and figures attesting to the biodiversity in Palawan. After reading the chart I looked with disbelief at the number and areas of projected mining sites. Somewhere deep inside I seethed; something in me turned and revolted, as often happens to me when things aren’t right. It almost felt like a fire was being lit, fueling indignation. And even when my emotions were settled, there was still the clear perception that this just wasn’t right. It isn’t.

I don’t know the history of the situation, nor am I aware of the technicalities. This piece is not meant to be an exposé or investigative journalism. I just want to talk about principles.

I think of Puerto Princesa, the way the land and the people are blooming. The numbers speak volumes. Because of Mayor Edward Hagedorn’s determination to preserve Puerto Princesa’s natural resources, it is a prime visitor destination. As a result, capital investments in the city have increased from P52 million to P15 billion. Crime is down, people are happy, visitors are happy. And, like I mentioned in my previous column, even the land feels happy. It’s an island in bloom.

I reflect on this — and I look at the pictures, the volumes of data before me — and something here just isn’t right. We are not Singapore. We are not Hong Kong. We are an archipelago of 7,000 spectacular islands. We have the land, the seas, and the people to offer a piece of paradise to visitors. Our people can live in paradise. It is very clear to me that mining in a place like Palawan is not the way to go about it. It isn’t. And no matter what technical information is sent my way — I don’t think I can see these pictures any other way. Mining in a land of spectacular natural resources? It’s like killing the goose that lays the golden egg! If there is poverty, mining is not the solution. History has shown that it only further marginalizes the poor. It is foolhardy to believe that the destruction of one area does not have a domino effect in the inevitable connection there is in the web of life. Just look at the global phenomenon of climate change. It’s one aspect spilling over onto another. The spilling over doesn’t have to be negative — it can also be positive. We can make positive changes, and these can spill over into our quality of life. That’s just the way it is.

I commit the energies and passion of Bantay Kalikasan to let the world know the wonders that exist here. What will we have left to promote if mining destroys the environment?

God gives us bounty. We choose what to do with it. We make our own destiny. What choices will we make for our country? For our future? For our children? For our people?

I can be reached atregina_lopez@abs-cbn.com. If you wish to help develop the local communities of Puerto Princesa contact Gerry Ortega Bayanijuan, manager for Puerto Princesa. If you wish to know more about the mining in Palawan and what can be done about it, please contact Offie Bernardino, head of PNNI, at (048)433-5525. Or e-mailpnnipal@gmail.com.

the second article is about his recent murder!!!

Ex-provincial exec, 4 others charged over Palawan radioman slay
    January 27, 2011
    .PUERTO PRINCESA CITY—A former provincial official and four others were charged Wednesday with murder in the killing of broadcast journalist in Palawan.

Police filed the case against former provincial administrator Romeo Seratubias, who owned the gun used in shooting DWAR radio commentator Jerry Ortega inside a clothing store here Monday morning.

Also charged was Marlon Recamata Dichaves, the alleged gunman, who was caught by passing firefighters and bystanders shortly after the killing.

Seratubias surrendered to police after Dichaves pointed at him as the brain behind the gruesome murder.

Dichaves told investigators that he and an accomplice were promised P150,000 to kill Ortega.

Seratubias, who admitted that he owned the gun but sold it days before the killing, denied any involvement in the fatal shooting of Ortega.

Ortega, a former board member who once ran for governor, was a staunch critic of the current provincial administration and of the mining projects in Palawan.

He was an anchor of DWAR’s daily primetime commentary “Ramatak”.

It seems that yet another brave envirionmentalist has been killed and by the time I retire I may need to find another Island
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Puerto Princesa was hopefully were i would retire, but Salford doesn't seem such a bad place after reading this
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Holding on to reserves of Minerals maybe better ok one day they will become so vauable they have to be mined. But why do when your a tourist destination in a area of the world which is booming
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

The areas in Palawan where these mines are situated,I doubt many tourists would wish to visit.
    If anyone has such concern about permitted mining in Palawan,I suggest that you contact a mining company and arrange a visit..
    If you had any idea of the hoops (both safety and environmental) they need to jump through in order to operate(Quite a few at a loss in the present economic climate) and the massive benefits they provide to the indigenous poor,you may think again..

You are correct Fred, the areas are somewhat desolate but for me the issue is that the matter cannot be debated, anyone speaks out against the big corporate and government bodes they die or dissapear.
    There is a Malaysian Palm oil company doing the rounds at the moment looking to establish a processing plant in the largely unpopulated, mangrove covered south of the Island asking local wealhy people and the ex pat brigade if they would like to invest in 100 hectares a piece and the company then plant, mature and harvest the trees. It is a long tem investment over about 20 years and has a good and growing return. The problem for me is that mangrove is not just swamp it is vital to the eco chain and bio diversity so getting rid of them degrades part of the reason I like living in Palawan when we can. i guess they will have there way, they have already done terrible damage in Malaysia.

I take your words Scott n Fred but as Scott mentions once a part of an island is affect it can affect the rest of the islands ecosystem. Then of course what if they do find reserves under more beautiful parts? I'm sure they jump though hoops but I'm sure corners are cut as we have see everywhere in the world money talks

You are correct Fred, the areas are somewhat desolate but for me the issue is that the matter cannot be debated, anyone speaks out against the big corporate and government bodes they die or dissapear.
    There is a Malaysian Palm oil company doing the rounds at the moment looking to establish a processing plant in the largely unpopulated, mangrove covered south of the Island asking local wealhy people and the ex pat brigade if they would like to invest in 100 hectares a piece and the company then plant, mature and harvest the trees. It is a long tem investment over about 20 years and has a good and growing return. The problem for me is that mangrove is not just swamp it is vital to the eco chain and bio diversity so getting rid of them degrades part of the reason I like living in Palawan when we can. i guess they will have there way, they have already done terrible damage in Malaysia.
    I agree with mostly all of that..
    This is still the Philippines and it is STILL inevitable that local cowboys will still operate illegally by paying off their Barangay captain buddies for the blind eye treatment.. These cowboys I agree must be shut down.
    Im not at all sure that they represent "big corporate and government bodies" especially in Palawan these days and highly doubt that the DENR would issue environmental or exploration permits etc to such "bodies" ..
    I would appreciate it if anyone here could name the project in case so that I can investigate further to keep this thread real.
    In regards the campaigners.. Most of them do not deal in real facts and disregard the efforts by the DENR and legally operating local and foreign mining companies now operating in the Philippines..
    They (the campaigners) also provide no useful alternative employment for those that these companies employ..The otherwise extremely poor indigenous population. They also offer NO alternatives to replace the education, school buildings,medical care and many more local benefits that these companies must provide.
    These campaigners have had much success lately.. Due to their campaigns and online petitions an ill advised president Aquino has come to power and no new mining permits will be issued by the DENR by virtue of this new order in Palawan..
    Many locals have tried to oppose this decision but have been completely ignored.

Filipinos have more than a Trillion $$`s of hard cash sitting beneath their feet.. Enough money to start competing with the likes of Singapore if they could get their act together.. (Like Australia,China and India have been doing for decades)
    The archipelago is located in an ideal location and sits next to the worlds second largest economy that will buy all the R.P can produce after this economic depression eventually lifts.. I reckon another 7 years.
    IMO this will never come to pass as the country is run by so called do gooders and of course the Catholic church who`s interests lie in keeping the general massa in extreme poverty..
    That said..If the R.P ever did fully capitalise on its natural resources and decided it wanted to compete with the first world.I for one probably could no longer afford to live here..
    Ouch!!

For those interested in how legally operated mines are REQUIRED to uphold their social responsibilities in Palawan or elsewhere throughout the R.P,check this out..
    http://www.toledomining.com/csr-berong-pics.asp

This is a nickel mine (The worlds 3rd largest deposit) that has not been producing for 3 years as metal prices have been low due to lack of demand.. The mine is obviously not profitable and is only working on care and maintenance...However..Social responsibilities and forest rehabilitation continue.. If not,their operating permits will not be renewed.

Hi Fred, I think you make many valid points and as always are very well informed. My concern with tapping into this wealth is that very little sharing of that wealth would occur, yes building of roads (they need for access for their trucks) and schools (well educated labbour for the future) is laudable and should be done in any case just to try improve the community they live in.

There is no questioning the value of mining and well run is more well produce much more benefit than harm but if my experience of dealing with large corporate and government bodies is anything typical then well run is not a term that would come to mind. I have no direct experience of sealing with a foriegn owned or local mining business so perhaps I am being unfair and therefore I am happy to accept that you are closer to this subject than I am and that it may well be the case that the environmentalist groups are sensationalising the issue and it makes easy and good copy. I may aso me accused of NIMBY ism as I plan to live in Palalwan in the future but as you say the planned mining areas are well away from most developed areas.

It is not right though that however misguided or mis informed the journalist may have been that he deserved to be shot dead and this was the original point of my thread.

The Philippines could be a much more prosperous nation but until the influencee of the catholic church(we 100% agree on their motives as I have expressed here before)and the 100 or so families that run the country get diluted down in strength then the people will continue to be poor and badly led.

It is not right though that however misguided or mis informed the journalist may have been that he deserved to be shot dead and this was the original point of my thread.
    Again...I agree 100%
    First of all it may help us to understand more if we knew who plotted against and murdered this journalist and who he was specifically protesting against.
    From the reports posted here he seemed at the very least very naive and not sure about who he was reporting about specifically.or why.
    The most dangerous occupation in the Philippines is journalism,no doubt about it!!
    The least likely danger to journalists in the R.P are from legally operating companies with nothing to hide..

And so...Back to the cowboys that run rife in the R.P and the system and culture that continues to allow this type of thing since the early 1900`s..
    This is not really about mining but more about what happened to a misinformed journalist that had no idea about the kind of enemies he was making behind the scenes..Perhaps political? Who knows??
    The general practice of salvage of innocents from way back during the Marcos years is still very much in practice here IMO..
    If you wish to live peacefully in the Philippines then kindly mind your own business!!
    Do that and everything will go well.. Get involved with or report on things that you do not understand then expect a shortened existence if you live here..And thats about it!!
    I know it sounds savage but that is still the way it is here...Dont ask me why...
    I dont want to know!!

Cheers,
    Fred.

Hi Fred, I think you make many valid points and as always are very well informed. My concern with tapping into this wealth is that very little sharing of that wealth would occur
    If you take a look at the long term mining sharing agreements between Government and mining company you will see that a huge amount of the profits go directly to the Philippine government and local development..(By far,The Lions share)
    I understand your worries completely..I just feel that a small country such as the R.P with close to a one hundred million population(most of them hungry) has far more to worry about.
    Regards,
    Fred.

So has anyone been on one of these tours of the mines? I have no Idea if well run or not but having seen first hand how corners are cut by oil and mining companies in western countries wheter instigated at managment or a lower level. Also I will always have doubts having been a guest of two indivudals (realtives of the siblings of the Wifes Lola) in their respective houses who work for the forestry department (far away from Laguna don't ask me where) that seem to be inspector/regulators of some guide from what I understand . It seems they have a good income!

Indeed minding my on business is exaclty what we do when in the Phils, just seemed more appropriateand safe to raise it here as point for discussion. I read at the time that he had also been highly critical of the provincial governments use of certain funds which had been declared in some sort of regulatory oversight commitee. Not at all a wise thing to do so perhaps it was a political killing after all, as usual in the Phils we will probably never know. What is going on in the Mindano massacre case with that powerful family? I have lost touch

Thread Information