Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Philippine Malaria / Mosquito Map / Dengue Fever Map

This will help people decide whether they need malaria drugs before travelling to the Philippines. Please be aware that many of these drugs do have side effect, but are not worse than actual malaria.

DENGUE FEVER MAP

Last edited by KeithD; 4th May 2011 at 13:33.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Good to see Olongapo is marked as a low risk area for mosquitoes, I wish someone would have told the one that bit me and gave dengue fever!!!
    It's been emontional

Banned
    Where's Samal Island gone to

Blimey !! A lot of red - Off to Naga for the yearly family visit in September - But maybey I will put some super stregnth mozzy spray in this time!!

USEFUL information ...

hmm Batangas is in low to now risk, I kept telling my husband not to take malaria tablets on his first visit in the PH ,it spoilt our moments for one week
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

In 30 years of travelling throughout the R.P Ive never once met any foreigner or Filipino that has suffered with Malaria!! Ever!!
    IMO that map is a crock of .... and not something I would be concerned with..

Wandered about from the top of Pinas to the very bottom over the years,never taken anti-malarials,your more at risk from Dengue IMHO

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Wandered about from the top of Pinas to the very bottom over the years,never taken anti-malarials,your more at risk from Dengue IMHO
    Agreed!

Dengue is not very nice to have, though it did help me loose one and a half stone in a week and a half!!
    It's been emontional

Trusted Member
    The thread is "sticky" so here is up to date information on malaria, to the best of my knowledge. At first sight the map appears alarming, and a balanced view is needed.
    The Philippines is way down (75th) in world incidence, with less than 25,000 cases ( and 25 deaths ) / year - exact figures can't be obtained. 12 million are at risk, mostly the indigenous population, farmers, forest workers, and migrant agricultural workers, in rural and mountainous areas ( below 600m). There are problems with drug resistance, self-medication, and not seeking help for financial reasons, or using herbal remedies. This means 80 million are not at risk. Travellers and ex-pats living in the country may well never encounter - or acquire - malaria, and it's low in overall risk assessment.
    Around 22 provinces out of 80 are malaria-free according to Department of Health ( Aklan, Albay, Benguet, Biliran, Bohol,
    Camiguin, Capiz, Catanduanes, Cavite, Cebu, Eastern Samar,
    Guimaras, Iloilo, Leyte, Marinduque, Masbate, Northern Samar, Siquijor, Sorsogon, Southern Leyte, Surigao del Norte, and Western Samar).
    Cases of malaria in the Philippines are decreasing, unlike dengue fever (around 100,000 last year, with over 700 deaths).
    * A = Awareness ( is it present in the areas you're visiting ?)
    * B = Bite prevention or avoidance ( clothing, repellents containing DEET, nets, aircon / fans)
    * C = compliance with the right antimalarials ( chloroquine + proguanil, or mefloquine / doxocycline / Malarone ) - still does not give full protection.
    * D = Diagnosis ( flu-like symptoms, mostly within a month ... but report ANY illness to your doctor within 3 months and up to a year after return from Philippines or other tropical country).

I heard on the news the other day that more people are coming back to the UK with malaria than ever before. As with any media stats though they need to be taken in context.

For instance a rise in something of say 100%, may mean that it was previously 1 in 10,000 of the popualtion and is now 2. The first one the media use because it is alarming, the second stats are the same but give the real picture.

Respected Member
    Thanks for making us aware Keith and Alan.

At the end of the day we are all grown ups and have to take responsibility for our own actions. I've been to India 5 times and always taken anti malarials, I didn't on my first 4 visits to the Pina's, but I have on my last 2 visits, and will probably continue to take them on future visits.

I appreciate the risk is very low in cities, but as I'm a nature lover and like to get out in the wilds I've decided that I don't want to take the chance. People talk about the side effects and exaggerate them, but have they actually taken the tablets? The worst I've ever suffered from are fairly vivid dreams when I'm day dreaming or half asleep. I can live with that if it means protecting myself against malaria.

However, I also agree that Dengue is a bigger threat than Malaria. Is there any preventative medication for Dengue?

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post

Is there any preventative medication for Dengue?
    There is no vaccine or drug of proven effectiveness. Treatment is "supportive" ( bed rest, fluids, paracetamol / acetaminophen), if necessary in hospital - most people do get better. There is a global pandemic of this RNA flavivirus infection spread by mosquitoes.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I heard on the news the other day that more people are coming back to the UK with malaria than ever before.
    It was once endemic in Europe. The UK had 1761 imported cases of falciparum malaria in 2010, according to the Health Protection Agency. These were mostly from West Africa or South Asia ( not from the Philippines). In 2008 there were 1,370 reported cases, an increase of nearly 30%. The fatality rate is low, less than 1%.
    However, stated as an increase from 1/48,000 to 1/37,000 out of an estimated 66 million visits abroad by UK residents it doesn't sound quite so dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    There is no vaccine or drug of proven effectiveness. Treatment is "supportive" ( bed rest, fluids, paracetamol / acetaminophen), if necessary in hospital - most people do get better. There is a global pandemic of this RNA flavivirus infection spread by mosquitoes.
    Good info alan tanks. Once my fever broke with dengue I went to hospital where all they could for 3 nights was monitor my blood pressure every 4 hours I think it was to make sure I wasn't bleeding internally due to my very, very low platelet count. I think it was supposed to be 750ppm and was down to 7ppm. I could be wrong on the first number though.
    It's been emontional

I'm sure I saw that map at the Nurse's when I went to get my jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    I'm sure I saw that map at the Nurse's when I went to get my jabs.
    I'm a scouser.... guess how I got it

Don't tell the Doc

generally i believe unless you intend to treck into the jungles etc in philippines the risk is pretty low as the map seems to suggest but the little blighters still seem to prefer white skin to the locals mozzies can also carry dengi fever a good block applied to the skin esp around dusk and daybreak is very usefull remember its only the females that bite to take blood for there eggs/young and they always reside close to there victims even in cans pots or bottles that hold water

if we off piste as it were , even 40km from Puerto to the nagtabong beach area it is possible to get dengue and it is only 10km off the highway. one of our dutch friends 9 yr old boys got a nasty bout. just need to be aware and have plenty of OFF and some coils in the early evening for the beach hut/kubo. and light weight trousers, I use my old gym trousers made of a sort of sarong type material.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    ... just need to be aware and have plenty of OFF ...
    "OFF!" is an insect repellent available in the Philippines ( www.off.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx). It contains DEET ( diethyltoluamide) which is the active chemical to look for in insect repellents. DEET 20-50% in lotions, sprays or roll-on formulations is usually safe for skin of adults, pregnancy (last 6 months), breast-feeding, and for children over 6 months. Avoid contact with sore, sensitive or broken skin. If asthmatic consult doctor before use. In the UK Boots sell "Repel" (www.boots.com) which contains 50% DEET.

thanks Doc, in the UK i used to buy a product called Jungle formula.. it even worked on the dreaded west coast highland midge LOL Not sure if it is still around
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    thanks Doc, in the UK i used to buy a product called Jungle formula.. it even worked on the dreaded west coast highland midge LOL Not sure if it is still around
    You can still get JUngle Formula in Boots and good chemists. Boots have a range of repellents with varying amounts of Deet depending on where you are going. I got some with 50% Deet, although I forgot to put it on myself, it was good for spraying around the door and window frames at night

Anyone know if this is any good, says it doesn't really smell http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autan-Insect.../dp/B001EJOHXW

We used to use OFF lotion,but we were visited by friends last year that left a bottle of Mosi-guard here.
    I use it sparingly to try and make it last as it works like a dream..
    I sit in the garden most evenings and with that stuff on my arms,legs and feet I have not been bitten once..(Without it,I cant sit out for more than 5 mins)
    Deet free and highly recommended by Fred!!

http://www.mosi-guard.com/

Reviews..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...DateDescending

i found that jungle formula was very very effective.. put plenty on ur feet too as its the thinest skin on ur body and easily broken..

Dressing correctly also helps

Mozi-Guard insect repellent is an excellent product, although it is rather smelly with a pungent citronella(lemon) smell. .... I bet Fred smells very sexy though .... I'll try the one I mentioned earlier.

Trusted Member
    Personal protection against insect bites is important, not just for prevention of malaria transmission. Insect repellents are part of that protection, together with protective clothing, nets, fans and air conditioning where possible. There are four groups of repellents :-
    1. Containing DEET. Examples :- "OFF!", "Repel", and "Jungle Formula". The most used ingredient in insect repellents for over 5 decades, recommended by British National Formulary (bnf.org), of proven effectiveness, safe ( see my post 22 above ). Does have oily feel, causes irritation to eyes, lips and other sensitive areas, is absorbed by skin, can cause skin reactions, damages some plastics and fabrics, strong smell.
    2. Containing picaridine. Example :- "Autan". Recommended by World Health Organisation. Doesn't cause skin irritation, doesn't dissolve plastics and fabrics, safe for young children, non oily and almost no smell. May need re-application sooner than 1.
    3. Containing citriodiol ( oil of lemon eucalyptus). Example :- "Mosi-Guard". A natural repellent, non-sticky, non-toxic, safer on sensitive skins and for children, harmless to most plastics / fabrics. But more expensive, may need more frequent re-application.
    4. Containing permethrin ( from chrysanthemums, or similar manufactured chemicals). Example :- "PreVent Spray". Safe for spraying on fabrics. Doesn't stain and almost never irritates skin.
    Associated products such as mosquito coils and citronella candles may help.
    Insect bites and stings cause local pain and swelling for which antihistamines or corticosteroid cream bought "over-the-counter" should help ; occasionally there may be an anaphylactic reaction, which is an emergency requiring intramuscular adrenaline - seek medical advice.
    While "anything posted in this section is the poster's own opinion ... please seek professional advice", what I have stated here is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information