Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Spouse Visa Application - lawyer or no lawyer?

Hi all, am about to apply for our spouse visa.
    Just wondered what you think about using a lawyer to help process the spouse visa application?

Obvioulsy its more expensive to use a lawyer but is it better? quicker?
    Just interested in anyones opinions and experiences as we take the next step and hold our breath!

Thanks in advance!

Hi YorkshirePuddin,

I don't believe anyone can give you the answer you may be looking for.
    The vast majority of people prepare and submit the application themselves.
    Maybe a small % use an immigration advisor.
    So I don't think anyone can give you a comparison because nobody uses both routes.

Why not take a look at the UKBA site for spouse visa and see if you can comply easily.

Don't forget an immigration advisor will ask you for the exact same documented evidence that you would need to supply yourself. The immigration advisor cannot fill-out the form without your information.

In my own opinion, the immigration advisor would only be of help IF you had some serious shortcomings in compliance with UKBA application form.
    OR
    You just didn't feel you had enough self-confidence to complete all the work between you and your wife. No shame in that these days with visa costs being what they are.

Tell you what though YorkshirePuddin, there's plenty of members here will freely give their time to help you every step of they way to a successful application.
    I include myself too.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Why not take a look at the UKBA site for spouse visa and see if you can comply easily.

Don't forget an immigration advisor will ask you for the exact same documented evidence that you would need to supply yourself. The immigration advisor cannot fill-out the form without your information.

In my own opinion, the immigration advisor would only be of help IF you had some serious shortcomings in compliance with UKBA application form.
    OR
    You just didn't feel you had enough self-confidence to complete all the work between you and your wife. No shame in that these days with visa costs being what they are.

Tell you what though, there's plenty of members here will freely give their time to help you every step of they way to a successful application.

I include myself too.
    Personally, I don't see the need for engaging the services of a lawyer ... other than for the reasons mentioned by Terpe. But ... even so ... why bother incurring unnecessary additional expense on top of the already prohibitive cost of a Spousal Visa, when there are members here who can guide and advise you every step of the way.

hi YorkshirePuddin, I am hopefully going to apply in June for our Spousal visa. I am thinking of using an Immigration Solicitor, only because I think there maybe specific problems with our application. This is not to do the whole application though just to get particular guidance really.

Like Terpe says the immigration advisor will be asking for the same information which you supply for yourself, so you might be able to fill out the application. After reading other posts from Terpe and others, they give great advice and if you think your application is straight foreward then there is no reason why you can not do yourself. It's really how confident you feel in meeting all the requirements. Good luck with your application YorskshirePuddin! I hope it goes well with whatever you decide!

why trust your visa app to some one else ? if its straight forward your probably better doing it yourself, 90%+ get their visa without a problem if you follow the guidelines and send what your asked

even if its not straight forward, what can a solicitor do, you still need to meet the criteria
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Do it yourself & save your money.

.... which you'll need for the FLR, Life in the UK Test, ILR, and (if u want) citizenship.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. It is appreciated. Especially your kind words and offers of help. This forum and the many posts are already a great help and if I need any more help I will post.

Thanks again and may all your visa applications go well.

It would be up to you but here is some guidance :

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...ettlementguide

All of the information is here if required.

Regards Paul

Thread Information