Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

*** Help needed please!***

Hi Folks,
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
    My GF is expecting a baby in September and before that we did plan to marry but due to all the bureacracy, bola bola and red tape etc we have postponed the Marriage until January next year in order to arrange it properly and give much more notice to my friends and family that want to attend the ceremony there.
    My question is that obviously i want my future child to have British citizenship but i am worried that as my GF is unwedded to me at the time of the birth then my name will not be on the certificate { more crap from the heavily influential Church i believe }
    I have read here that i might have to undergo DNA testing to prove Fatherhood to the British Embassy and that will obviously be a pain in the ar*e but one that i accept but regarding the certificate question will my name be allowed on it after the birth if my GF requests it or will i have to wait and change the certificate later when we are married and then able to give the child my name?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jimbo

Respected Member
    I'm sorry I can't give you any advice Jimbo, but I'd like to congratulate you and your gf on your future new arrival and wish you all the best with your plans for both your marriage and the birth certificate, and hoping they aren't as troublesome as you are expecting

Thanks Englishman!
    At 46 i am gonna be an old Dad but really happy at the prospect!
    Cheers.

just a thought,,,, if is a church wedding you plan,,,, if it is and thats the main problem,would it solve the problem if you have a civil wedding on date you originaly planned, then later have a church wedding ceramony with reletives ect,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbojac View Post
    Thanks Englishman!
    Cheers.
    and congrats daddy

Respected Member
    Thanks Englishman!
    Cheers.
    I wouldn't worry about being an old dad, I am too Having kids gives you the chance to play like a kid yourself and knocks years off your age. Enjoy every minute of fatherhood, nothing else comes close to the pleasure you get from being a dad

Our son was born before we married. Because of this we had to obtain an affidavit of acknowledgement/admission of paternity from a local attorney to send with his birth certificate to the NSO.

On the NSO birth certificate my name is shown but it also shows us as not married.

Both these forms were submitted to the embassy for his successful passport application.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Our son was born before we married. Because of this we had to obtain an affidavit of acknowledgement/admission of paternity from a local attorney to send with his birth certificate to the NSO.

On the NSO birth certificate my name is shown but it also shows us as not married.

Both these forms were submitted to the embassy for his successful passport application.
    Aaaahhh Thanks Mate, my GF's Father has some good influence in town and knows a Judge there so that will help, thanks for the info!

Thanks again Englishman and also Imagine.
    Have a good one!
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    just a thought,,,, if is a church wedding you plan,,,, if it is and thats the main problem,would it solve the problem if you have a civil wedding on date you originaly planned, then later have a church wedding ceramony with reletives ect,,,
    Incredible red tape involved with a civil wedding too.
    I read the extensive posts on here. Whilst i respect my GF's strong Catholic faith i cannot marry in a Catholic church as i feel that is too hypocritical for me to do so considering my strong stance against many of the social doctrines the church hold there in the Philippines.

Trusted Member
    Incredible red tape involved with a civil wedding too.
    I read the extensive posts on here. Whilst i respect my GF's strong Catholic faith i cannot marry in a Catholic church as i feel that is too hypocritical for me to do so considering my strong stance against many of the social doctrines the church hold there in the Philippines.
    Good man !

That's (partly) why I would never marry in a church either. Fortunately my ex wasn't at all religious.

She did want to get our boy baptised though, and I put my foot firmly down there, and asked if she'd mind waiting until he could decide for himself whether he wanted to join the god squad...to which she agreed.

Now 17, he doesn't feel the need to go forth and worship, so the brain-washing cycle has been interrupted. ....with all due respect to those of faith.

Respected Member
    My son was born in September, and we aren't yet married (complicated story). When the hospital issued the certificate of live birth they put both our names on the certificate, and Josh took my surname. Had to take the Certificate to a notary before we could get it sent to the NSO. No big deal.

We reached a compromise my Missus is loose Catholic but I also wouldnt do the church bit so we found a baptist minister who would marry us in an outside venue and include some of the filipina traditions like viel and cord
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Hi! Jimbojac, just add an opinion here. I think you dont have a problem on it if your gf born the baby before your marriage. The child still can bring your name only if the mother want it but im sure she is happy to have your family name on your baby so congratulation then for marrying on the Catholic church you can still do your wedding but you need to baptize your child after the ceremony so mean that you have a double celebration, wedding and christening your child.

( It is good if you are a Catholic too but if not it will goes to a long process mean you need to baptize as a Catholic or else you can do your wedding to a civil wedding or Christian wedding, the most important things i think that you be true to each other either you are Catholic or not just have a happy life being together and much love to each other )

Good luck and congrats to both of you

.....My GF is expecting a baby in September
    Many congratulations to you both.
    Being a dad is just the best thing in the world
    One of life's pivotal points.

Sorry can't help with the paperwork.

congratulations jim being a father is the best & most important thing in the world

Some great posts Folks and a BIG THANKS!!!
    Looking forward very much to late Fatherhood.
    As for the Catholic thing..........Christianity is the backbone of good morals, laws and character i am certainly not anti- Christain {just its modern interpretation by the Catholic Church.} For those that are interested i respect my GF's faith and to a degree she " does" agree with my stance which is i imagine if Jesus was around today i think he would be rightly angry at the hypocricy the Catholic church regularly displays in this present day.
    { How can anyone be so pious and profess a strong faith as many do in the Phils and then ignore the suffering of the many many poor around them its beyond me!}
    I wish many in the Philippines would adopt the cultural and advanced thinking of the Japanese { collective consciousness } whose admirable behaviour especially in light of the recent Earthquake/ Tsunami was so obviously visible.

Thread Information