Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down My Big, Fat Fake Wedding

Oh dear ... I've just finished watching this 'Panorama Special', which I'd been looking forward to all week - ever since a friend had informed me it was being screened tonight.

But what a shambles it turned out to be! The filming on location, was diabolical ... with the camera consistently ing about like a drunken kangaroo ... to the extent that, if I hadn't closed my eyes - to stop me feeling dizzy - and several times almost dozed off, I'd surely have "thrown-up"! And the sound quality - even for folk with normal hearing - was pathetic to say the least!

Despite the cost involved in sending undercover teams on a "wild goose chase" ... up and down the M1 between London and Coventry - as well as to the Spanish island of Majorca - the programme seemed to have solved nothing and amounted to a sheer waste of taxpayers' money!

Trusted Member
    Glad to hear I didn't miss much.

I deliberately didn't watch it, as it would have adversely affected my blood pressure.

Banned
    There was me thinking after I read Arthur's thread heading, he'd finally seen the light and became a ranter, just like a select few here

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    There was me thinking after I read Arthur's thread heading, he'd finally seen the light and became a ranter, just like a select few here
    Y'know ... I was thinking about typing this thread in the 'Rant' Section - then thought it might be more relevant to Immigration matters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Y'know ... I was thinking about typing this thread in the 'Rant' Section - then thought it might be more relevant to Immigration matters.
    Nothings better than some immigration matters to stir the emotions

Nothings better than some immigration matters to stir the emotions
    Apart from Religion ... ...

... we shall see ... !

Banned
    Apart from Religion ... ...
    That's a very old chestnut

Banned
    Oh dear ... I've just finished watching this 'Panorama Special', which I'd been looking forward to all week - ever since a friend had informed me it was being screened tonight.

But what a shambles it turned out to be! The filming on location, was diabolical ... with the camera consistently ing about like a drunken kangaroo ... to the extent that, if I hadn't closed my eyes - to stop me feeling dizzy - and several times almost dozed off, I'd surely have "thrown-up"! And the sound quality - even for folk with normal hearing - was pathetic to say the least!

Despite the cost involved in sending undercover teams on a "wild goose chase" ... up and down the M1 between London and Coventry - as well as to the Spanish island of Majorca - the programme seemed to have solved nothing and amounted to a sheer waste of taxpayers' money!
    I disagree Arthur - I thought other than the sending of a crew to Spain it was licence payers money very well spent in producing a programme that exposes yet more aspects of our flawed and abused immigration system to the wider public. I just hope the authorities have arrested the participants shown - two sham marriage fraudsters, Mr Ali a dodgy Asian solicitor and his staff, a Romanian prostitute and an E European pimp/gangster.

The filming was shaky because much of it was undercover.

For those who missed it look here to view or download http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Fake_Wedding/

BBC's write up

It should be the most romantic day in any couple's relationship, but every year hundreds of weddings take place where often the bride and groom barely know each other, and will rarely ever meet again. These are sham marriages - a way for desperate immigrants to stay in the country illegally by paying to marry a stranger with an EU passport.

In this Panorama Special, reporter Richard Bilton exposes a lucrative - and growing - industry. Posing as a wedding photographer, he films a sham wedding and reveals the real human cost at the heart of it; he investigates an Eastern European gang that charges 8,000 pounds to supply teenage prostitutes as bogus brides; the immigration solicitor who will prepare the legal paperwork for sham couples; and he discovers how even the Church of England has been a target of bogus wedding fraudsters.

I did not see all, but interestingly I did see the part where it was confirmed that the COA will not longer be needed as of April 1st 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I did not see all, but interestingly I did see the part where it was confirmed that the COA will not longer be needed as of April 1st 2011
    Yes ... I did manage to hear that bit - but inadvertently forgot to mention it - because my head was "swimming" as an after-effect of the shaky camera! ... wonder what the Home Office intends replacing it with in its efforts to clamp down on these sham marriages?

... wonder what the Home Office intends replacing it with in its efforts to clamp down on these sham marriages?
    The Immigration Minister, Damian Green, states that UKBA investigation and subsequent enforcement will show criminal gangs that their crime does not pay

UKBA will essentially rely upon 'tip-offs' from those involved in the marriage ceremony process, or from Joe Public

Banned
    Yes ... I did manage to hear that bit - but inadvertently forgot to mention it - because my head was "swimming" as an after-effect of the shaky camera! ... wonder what the Home Office intends replacing it with in its efforts to clamp down on these sham marriages?
    A stern looking Immigration Minister Damian Green said they would be "educating and working with the Registrars and Anglican Church". The whole sorry issue is here

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../111/11110.htm

The Government's objective

Tackling sham marriage is a top priority for the Government. We are not currently anticipating a single measure to replace the Certificate of Approval scheme. Instead we are pursuing a range of actions and measures which together we believe will form an effective response to the problem. We are investigating suspected abuse and where possible, will disrupt marriages before they take place. We are working closely with civil Registrars and members of the clergy to identify potential suspicious marriages at the earliest opportunity and prevent these marriages from taking place.

And yet after I told the UK Border Agency about my now ex wife married me only for money, and a visa to work here, they have as yet done nothing
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    Obviously she must have been 'desperate' like the crooks mentioned above, so UKBA felt sorry for her....just as the rest of us taxpayers in this overcrowded island are supposed to.

Once again born and bred Brits are expected to lie down and submit while being shafted from all angles by cunning lowlifes from failed countries.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    And yet after I told the UK Border Agency about my now ex wife married me only for money, and a visa to work here, they have as yet done nothing
    Mick.
    Mick email Damian Green greend@parliament.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Mick email Damian Green greend@parliament.uk
    Thanks, I will give it a go

I did send a posted letter to his office before, but like with the UKBA got no reply.
    Mick.
    Mick.

Banned
    Thanks, I will give it a go

I did send a posted letter to his office before, but like with the UKBA got no reply.
    Mick.
    Mick.
    Mick just to ensure they give their full attention to the matter cc it to your MP and the Home Secretary mayt@parliament.uk

Mick just to ensure they give their full attention to the matter cc it to your MP and the Home Secretary mayt@parliament.uk
    Thanks good advice, I will do that
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    yes damn court of human rights , COA was used to catch some illegals who were in hiding and tried to wed a european to stay here

its time britian had a sovereignty law and no european law can overide it.

why dont they get married in thier own country ?? becuase many cant even get their future spouse into their own country, foreign student or overstayer with no valid visa and they wouldnt get back in the uk if they left to wed

the flood gates will open now with sham marriages
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    There's a thought.

Banned
    Mick.
    Mick, your ex wife's visa was good for 2 years, divorced or not she is able to live and work here.

If in the meantime if she is able to find another hapless soul to marry and ripoff, she can, it's all perfectly legal, whether it's morally right is another matter.

This was done by the ex, only problem was, she choose a non British, shame

Banned
    Mick, your ex wife's visa was good for 2 years, divorced or not she is able to live and work here.

If in the meantime if she is able to find another hapless soul to marry and ripoff, she can, it's all perfectly legal, whether it's morally right is another matter.

It's probably a totally ridiculous question as this is 21st Century Britain - if a visa was obtained criminally ie by giving false information could the holder then be hauled up in front of a court and deported ?
    Last edited by Dedworth; 25th March 2011 at 17:04. Reason: grammar

Trusted Member
    It's probably a totally ridiculous question as this is 21st Century Britain - if a visa was obtained criminally ie by giving false information could the holder can be hauled up in front of a court and deported ?
    Would have thought so.

Just make sure you can't be dragged into it though.

Banned
    It's probably a totally ridiculous question as this is 21st Century Britain - if a visa was obtained criminally ie by giving false information could the holder can be hauled up in front of a court and deported ?

No idea Ded, all I know is, I reported the change of circumstances asap to the relevant border control agency at Croydon. They in turn diligently replied 6 months later thanking me for my input. Period

Hi gWaPito,
    With my ex the UKBA said they were curtailing her visa, which I took to mean cancel.
    Mick.
    Last edited by mickcant; 25th March 2011 at 18:19. Reason: spelling

Hi gWaPito,
    With my ex the UKBA said they were curtailing her visa, which I took to mean cancel.
    Mick.
    , Mick ... that was my impression!

, Mick ... that was my impression!
    If I were you, I'd have another "go" at Damien Green - pointing out the pledge he made when interviewed - and insisting that the proposed UKBA powers of enforcement be extended to include the deportation of persons who enter the UK under false pretences.

Banned
    No curtailment in my case, Mick. Not that im bothered now.
    I was worried it wld effect Jane's application with her still being here. Needless to say, it wasn't.

I get the distinct impression they don't give a damn, bigger fish to fry and all that

No curtailment in my case, Mick. Not that im bothered now.
    I was worried it wld effect Jane's application with her still being here. Needless to say, it wasn't.

I get the distinct impression they don't give a damn, bigger fish to fry and all that
    Yes I also think that, perhaps if a TV crew were behind them they might do somthing

I am not botherd what she does, but yes she could take anouther bloke in
    Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information