Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Flight socks?

Respected Member

Flight socks?

I've decided to get some flight socks for my next flight to Ph, in an attempt to reduce the swelling in my lower legs.

Daft question But I've never worn them. Do you wear them over your normal socks and keep your shoes on?

I did think about putting them on my head, but with current security measures, it's probably not a good idea

They are just socks, so do you put your normal socks over socks? .... unless you're weird .... or a cold Filipina
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member
    Wear the flight socks alone, and remove your shoes whenever you can, it's more comfortable, and allows you to keep moving your feet which in turn allows the blood in your lower legs and feet to return to your heart. Remember, your veins have unidirectional ( one way ) valves helped by muscle contractions to keep the blood flowing.

Respected Member
    I looked at some in Boots yesterday and they looked like tights, not sure about the red fishnet ones...maybe I should have looked outside of the lingerie dep't

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Wear the flight socks alone, and remove your shoes whenever you can, it's more comfortable, and allows you to keep moving your feet which in turn allows the blood in your lower legs and feet to return to your heart. Remember, your veins have unidirectional ( one way ) valves helped by muscle contractions to keep the blood flowing.
    Thanks Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    They are just socks, so do you put your normal socks over socks? .... unless you're weird .... or a cold Filipina
    I put them over my socks as it bad enough not being able to find my shoes on a long flight without having to search around for my socks as well. Flight socks also stop you getting wet feet whenever use use the facilities on a plane.

What I also do is start taking low dose aspirin a few days before the flight and continue until I arrive back home as I find it helps circulation and I seem able to cope with the heat easier. Make your own decision on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    .....What I also do is start taking low dose aspirin a few days before the flight and continue until I arrive back home as I find it helps circulation and I seem able to cope with the heat easier. Make your own decision on that.
    Actually, that is just what I do. Having said that, I always visit my Doctor first just to get his OK on the strength, on the frequency and on the duration. To be honest my doctor has always been very helpful and informative.

Last time I took a flight to Phils , in addition to taking the low Aspirin, I also wore flight socks and took extra time to both walk about and do some ankle and leg excercises.
    I found it helped a good deal. I still had some swelling, but much less, and found that after 24 hours I was back to normal. So I really think you need to do evrything you can.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post

What I also do is start taking low dose aspirin a few days before the flight and continue until I arrive back home as I find it helps circulation and I seem able to cope with the heat easier. Make your own decision on that.
    ...and take medical advice first. Here's why:-
    *It increases (approximately doubles) the risk of irritation, bleeding and ulceration from the gut.
    *Avoid aspirin in the presence of liver disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, asthma or pregnancy.
    *It can cause a hypersensitivity reaction.
    *There's a long list of drugs which can interact with aspirin ( including other pain killers like ibuprofen, antacids, anticoagulants, antidepressants, anti-epileptics, steroids, cytotoxics and diuretics).
    *Use of aspirin in otherwise healthy people with no signs of cardiovascular disease remains controversial even now. The balance is slightly tipped in its favour by last year's study published in "The Lancet" showing that taking aspirin in middle age can cut the risk of cancer. The risk of bleeding also increases from the mid-seventies onwards however.

Respected Member
    Thanks for the input guys
    I will definitely get some flight socks before I go, and where possible try to walk around the cabin as much as possible. In the past I used to ask for a window seat, but now I get an aisle seat so that I can get up without disturbing the other passengers in my row.
    Regarding the low dosage aspirin, I don't have any plans to take it yet, I'm in my early 40's, fit and healthy and not currently taking any medication (other than the anti malarials I'll have to take for Borneo).

One final question, should I wear flip flops or sandals with my flight socks

You could go budget and use condoms

4452857245_85cae25e75.jpg
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

So we know what you have beed doing this afternoon Keith

btw, just watch your finger nails on the condoms, you might get a split
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

wear them down the front of your pants Ian you may get upgraded or some thing like that

just like you i use to try for a window seat but not now its the one near the aisle or better still if there are only 2 seats i try for those you seem to have a little more room, will help with the socks on and off thing

Thread Information