Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: General visa!

General visa!

My best friend is planning to come and stay in the UK for around 3 weeks.
    She plans to stay with her sister and would like to come and spend a few days with me before she goes back.
    We've never met each other for real but we've been chatting every single day, video calling, webcam chats and texting each other since beginning of July last year.
    My parents say that she can stay with us for a few days but we've never met so I kept telling them but dad doesn't agree. She needs the visa but to get it we have to prove that we've met in person for real. That's what I've told them.
    Can she come on a general visa and stay at our place for a few days?
    I don't think it's possible though.

Nick, if shes staying with her sister, then I guess she will be applying for family visit visa.
    Why would she want to mention that she will also stay with you? Are you a co-sponsor?
    If not, then she just applies as a family visit to her sister, her sister is the sponsor and that's it.
    Why make life difficult?

Just my 2 pence worth
    No offence meant

It's ok Terpe mate. I understand.
    Her sister is moving house so I'm just worried that her sister won't have enough money to support her especially those visa people like to see her sisters bank statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick30 View Post
    It's ok Terpe mate. I understand.
    Her sister is moving house so I'm just worried that her sister won't have enough money to support her especially those visa people like to see her sisters bank statements.
    OK.
    So she has no sponsor then?
    In which case she will need to demonstrate that she can fund the travel, accomodation and touristy things herself during her entire stay.
    If she will provide an itinerary I guess she can mention her sister and also her good friend Nikki
    Seriously Nick, I think she can only do what she can do, unless you want to be co-sponsor for accomodation, then of course you need to provide passport page copies, bank statements and proof of accomodation for her.

Thanks for the great advice Terpe
    How much would you think she need in her bank statements and how much would the sponsor need in the bank statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick30 View Post
    Thanks for the great advice Terpe
    How much would you think she need in her bank statements and how much would the sponsor need in the bank statements?
    That's a difficult call, Nick. It really depends on the duration of the stay and what she states she will do. For example is she stated her main purpose was tourist/sightseeing she would need to show more funding than if she stated her main purpose was visiting family. Also as a tourist she would need to have considerable funds for travel and accommodation.
    She certainly needs to show sufficient funds for the main transportation (air fare + local) .... just for example lets say £700
    As an unsupported tourist she would need funding for accommodation, lets say she stays at Premier Inn every night at £29
    Now for food lets just say breaky at £5, Lunch snack/sandwich at £3 and dinner at £9misc refreshments each day say £4
    So that would mean £50 per day = £350 per week
    That £350 per week excludes any funding for touristy activities/sightseeing and transportation (being a tourist is expensive) so lets add £50 per day
    That now comes to a total £700 per week.
    Staying with friends for say 1 week lets say £350
    If she would be here for say 2 weeks with one week as tourist and one week visiting friends (non sponsors) the ECO would expect to see disposable funding in the region of £1750 as an absolute minimum and that does not include anything for emergency.

Any sponsor would need to provide evidence of their ability to support the help they will provide. If the sponsor will be paying for the air ticket, then the sponsor will need to show they can do it and also why they will do it.
    Same for accommodation.

Nick, if you would be a sponsor the ECO may be concerned that you are in fact romantically connected and that she may attempt to settle in UK without a proper visa.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it gives an idea

Cheers Terpe. It certainly gives a great idea there

Thread Information