Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The water is just the run-off from the water they've been spraying on it for 2 weeks, and they only started monitoring the sea around the area a few hundred feet out at the weekend. So it's probably been like that for 2 weeks, and it soon gets watered down.

The plutonium is just from a partial meltdown of exposed fuel rods, and they have it under control as the temperature of the rods is now manageable. Plutonium is not that good in soil, but it's only small amounts. It would be better if it was uranium as it's half-life is vastly smaller.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member
    There's rightly continuing interest and concern in the consequences of the earthquake and tsunami. As Terpe says, the official figure for dead and missing is over 27,000. "The Lancet" - possibly the best medical journal in the world - has called for more articles on the aftermath. As it's not readily available, I'm happy to keep a look out for reliable updates from this source, and summarise them for members .

It could get a lot worse. Japan are now scrapping it. But the radiation from the plant has been felt in the UK in very small levels am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry46 View Post
    It could get a lot worse. Japan are now scrapping it. But the radiation from the plant has been felt in the UK in very small levels am I correct?
    The plant was being scrapped before the earthqauke, hence Reactor 4 had no rods in it. You can pick up radioactive particles from our Sun 93M miles away so don't worry about the odd particle per billion.

Trusted Member
    Now the Japanese authorities have raised the severity rating of their nuclear crisis to the highest level, seven. This level previously only applied to Chernobyl, where 10 times as much radiation was emitted.
    However, the decision affects the total release of radiation, which is ongoing, not a sudden deterioration.
    I've seen no new articles in the medical press, but BBC News Health has a questions and answers section on health effects of radiation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12722435?print=true)

Meltdown is no longer an issue as the rods will be cooled enough by now, but they are still having problems with recycling the radioactive water.

Banned
    Should be a wake up call, but I don't think we'll ever learn

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    QUOTE Should be a wake up call, but I don't think we'll ever learn

It all very well people saying that Nuclear power is dangerous, but so is fossil fuel generation and the prospect of 'green energy' being available in the quantities needed is very far off.

If one is going to say existing forms of generation should be banned then I suggest at the same time they need to suggest a viable alternative, which is available now. And that is one which does not require large amounts of energy to produce the 'green gadget.' Example, unlike Battery powered cars, which need electricity generated by the power stations, to charge them !

Banned
    It all very well people saying that Nuclear power is dangerous, but so is fossil fuel generation and the prospect of 'green energy' being available in the quantities needed is very far off.
    That's the trouble - we now feel it is our God-given right to have all the things we've become accustomed to. Our needs and greed should never be so much that we're willing to put the whole planet at risk.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaytawo View Post
    That's the trouble - we now feel it is our God-given right to have all the things we've become accustomed to. Our needs and greed should never be so much that we're willing to put the whole planet at risk.
    Absolutely right !

Lemmings come to mind.

(I have spent most of my working life in the Energy Efficiency business, and believe me it can be very frustrating at times trying to convince people to think further ahead than the end of their noses )

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Absolutely right !

Lemmings come to mind.

(I have spent most of my working life in the Energy Efficiency business, and believe me it can be very frustrating at times trying to convince people to think further ahead than the end of their noses )
    ... having watched last night's BBC4 Golden Jubilee programme commemorating mankind's first venture into Space (see my thread bearing the title 'Around the World in 60 Minutes') it was quite a revelation to learn that millions of discarded plastic containers are washed up on - otherwise beautiful and unspoilt - Hawaiian beaches ... thus endangering the Islands' wildlife ... not to mention the immense damage such broken-down debris inflicts on our planet's environment as a whole!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information