Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - Saudi Airlines

Rather than repeating the story, here's a copy of the e-mail complaint I've just sent to Saudi Airlines

Dear Sir or Madam,

BOOKING REF - XXXXXXXX
    ALFURSAN MEMBER - XXXXXXXXX
    MR XXXXXX

I made a London to Manila round trip booking with Saudi Airlines last July because of the price and short transit waits in Riyadh and Jeddah on the outbound and inbound journeys
    I have just been informed that you have changed your schedules. The schedule change from London to Manila on April 8th is inconvenient as I now have to leave 3 and a half hours earlier and will get stuck in rush hour traffic around London, however I am prepared to accept that. However, the change from Manila to London on April 24th is unacceptable. This now means I will have to wait at Jeddah or Riyadh airport in transit for 18 hours instead of 6 hours.

To be told at this late stage is completely unsatisfactory, as it is too late for me to book with an alternative provider at a competitive rate, so I am now forced to accept these changes, and take these flights.

I booked these flights 9 months ago, and selected Saudi for many factors. Had I known you were going to change the schedule I would have booked with one of your rivals (Etihad, Emirates, Qatar or KLM) who were all similarly priced at the time of booking and with whom I have never experienced any problems.

As I have no choice and have to accept these changes at this late stage I would like to know what you are prepared to offer me by way of compensation. As I'm sure you will appreciate, and 18 hours wait in between two 9 hour flights will put enormous strain on my mind and body and I will not be able to properly rest or wash in private, therefore I am suggesting you offer me the following:

One nights hotel accomodation at a 5 star transit hotel in Jeddah (Plus taxi transfers and meal vouchers)
    Arrangements for a transit visa in Saudi Arabia
    A Pass to your executive lounge at Jeddah and Riyadh airports for both my inbound and outbound journeys.
    Un upgrade to Business or First Class on both legs of my return journey to London (and my outbound journey from London).

I will also add that I am a frequent traveller to Asia (3 or 4 trips every year) and have another booking with Saudi in December 2011, I expect you to offer some form of compensation in order to keep my future business. I am also a very active member of lots of travel forums, I will of course be advising many hundreds of thousands of travellers about my experience with Saudi Airlines, I would like to report that you were able to resolve this situation satisfactorily.

As a frequent traveller I am also aware that all of the above requests can be catered for, therefore I will not accept an answer of NO.

As my flight is due to depart in less than 2 weeks and I need to make alternative arrangements, I would be grateful if you could respond within 24 hours.

My e-mail address is XXXXXX
    Telephone: 0044 7XXXXXXXXXX

Banned
    A very unsatisfactory situation. I'd be inclined to cut your losses, demand a full refund and book with KL or Cathay. A night in Saudi and unlimited soft drinks in their lounge wouldn't appeal to me

It just shows you get what you pay for.

Trusted Member
    I wish you success in your demands, Ian - a well-worded e mail, in my opinion as a less frequent flyer than yourself. I'm sure, had you known there was to be an 18 hour stop over, you would not have booked this round trip booking. Please do let us know the outcome.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A very unsatisfactory situation. I'd be inclined to cut your losses, demand a full refund and book with KL or Cathay. A night in Saudi and unlimited soft drinks in their lounge wouldn't appeal to me

It just shows you get what you pay for.
    If they had informed me a month ago I could have done that and booked with KLM when they had their sale on. They have offered me a full refund, but unfortunately the cheapest flight I can get now for two weeks time is £500 more

I agree, you do get what you pay for. In the past I have always booked with KLM, Qatar or Emirates and never had any problems. I have another flight with Saudi in December, but after that, I certainly won't ever use them again.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    I wish you success in your demands, Ian - a well-worded e mail, in my opinion as a less frequent flyer than yourself. I'm sure, had you known there was to be an 18 hour stop over, you would not have booked this round trip booking. Please do let us know the outcome.
    Thanks Alan. If I'm honest, I'm not expecting a great deal, and it means I will have to pay for a transit hotel in Saudi myself as I'm not prepared to wait at an airport for 18 hours. However, I felt I should vent my extreme annoyance at their schedule changes and try my luck just in case I manage to get something.

Nice email Englishman I think you're well within your rights to get a refund or a nice hotel for the night.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Nice email Englishman I think you're well within your rights to get a refund or a nice hotel for the night.
    Thanks Jamie, the thing is, I don't want a refund, I have to fly on those dates now as I have flights to Brunei from Manila booked and have hotels booked and paid for in Manila and Brunei. I've also booKed and paid for my parking at Heathrow

A refund is no good to me as I'll be £500 short of what I need to get a flight with KLM or Emirates at this late stage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    If they had informed me a month ago I could have done that and booked with KLM when they had their sale on. They have offered me a full refund, but unfortunately the cheapest flight I can get now for two weeks time is £500 more

I agree, you do get what you pay for. In the past I have always booked with KLM, Qatar or Emirates and never had any problems. I have another flight with Saudi in December, but after that, I certainly won't ever use them again.
    Jeeeeez that's a hell of a price difference I wouldn't have a problem going with Qatar, Eitihad or Emirates but a mate of mine is a BA Aircraft Engineer working on turning around 3rd party planes and he reckons Saudi aren't amongst the better maintained - strictly his opinion of course

Respected Member
    Jeeeeez that's a hell of a price difference I wouldn't have a problem going with Qatar, Eitihad or Emirates but a mate of mine is a BA Aircraft Engineer working on turning around 3rd party planes and he reckons Saudi aren't amongst the better maintained - strictly his opinion of course
    Yes, it's down to the fact that it's such short notice and my return leg is over Easter. I've searched all of the on line flight sites this evening, the prices range from £1000 - £4000. A few weeks ago I could have booked with KLM for about £600, but they want nearly £1100 now.

I'm just about to ring their call centre again and chew someones ear off

Banned
    Yes, it's down to the fact that it's such short notice and my return leg is over Easter. I've searched all of the on line flight sites this evening, the prices range from £1000 - £4000. A few weeks ago I could have booked with KLM for about £600, but they want nearly £1100 now.

Just shows how much they ramp the fares up at holiday times

Respected Member
    I've just had a go at their call centre, I didn't get anywhere. There was no one of any authority in the office at this time of day and I will have to wait until after they have read my e-mail tomorrow

Sorry to hear about this mate. It's certainly not what you want to hear at this late date. To change the times so drastically like this is totally unacceptable. I hope they are able to offer you something, as 18 hours would do anyones head in. Very diplomatic email by the way, I think my language would have been slightly stronger Hope you get some good news in the coming days!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve monty View Post
    Sorry to hear about this mate. It's certainly not what you want to hear at this late date. To change the times so drastically like this is totally unacceptable. I hope they are able to offer you something, as 18 hours would do anyones head in. Very diplomatic email by the way, I think my language would have been slightly stronger Hope you get some good news in the coming days!
    Thanks Steve We'll see what happens now. I would have liked to have been far stronger in my e-mail, but it's a bit of a balancing act when you are complaining and want something in return. If you go in too soft they'll just fob you off and if you go in too hard they'll put you to the bottom of the pile and ignore you.
    Contractually they are within their rights to change their schedules and all they have to do is offer me a full refund, which they have. The problem for me is that it's too late in the day now as I can't get another flight for a realistic price at this late notice.
    I've got nothing to lose by complaining, so I certainly won't give up yet. In the meantime, I'll keep on searching with other airlines just in case prices miraculousy drop by £500 in the next 2 weeks

Bummer.......
    Im sure you will get a result Ian.
    Good Luck

Banned
    At least you are on your lonesome, without wife and kids in tow. You wld of been getting some major tongue lashing.

Your over a barrel, no choice. The main thing is, you still got your flight, unlike the unfortunate folk who booked with that Chinese Airline three years back.

Respected Member
    The latest is that Saudi will not budge an inch. All they will offer me is a refund or alternative flights. Therefore I've decided to extend my stay by 3 days and come back when the transit wait is only 4 hours. It's not ideal as it messes up arrangements for work back in the UK, and I have to pay for 3 more nights hotels in Makati, but at least I get an extra 3 days with Elaine, so It's not all bad.

Banned
    Appalling shows they've no concept of how to serice and retain customers - as I said they were always on my no fly list

Respected Member
    Appalling shows they've no concept of how to serice and retain customers - as I said they were always on my no fly list
    The guy in London was quite apologetic and said that the attitude in Arabia is it's tough and if you don't like it sue us. I've got another flight with them in December, but I wont use them again after that.
    I've booked a flight to Hong Kong with Emirates in August, I always enjoy flying with them, and have never had any problems. Along with KLM, Emirates will be my preferred airlines going forward.

Respected Member
    GREAT NEWS: Netflights.com managed to get me a flight with Cathay Pacific on the same dates but with 55 min transfers in HK...and they are doing it for no extra cost

Saudi can go forth and multiply now, I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t now

so sorry to hear your news Ian but glad its all sorted now, just glad we booked with cathay for our flights at xmas

GREAT NEWS: Netflights.com managed to get me a flight with Cathay Pacific on the same dates but with 55 min transfers in HK...and they are doing it for no extra cost

Saudi can go forth and multiply now, I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t now
    Quality news Ian!!! I always fly with Cathay Pacific for the specific reasons of layover times and customer service!!! Maybe a bit more, but so much less hassle. Not more cost in your case!!!

Result..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmf1 View Post
    Result..
    Absolutely

And better still I can down a few glasses of red vino on the flight now too

Trusted Member
    Well done Ian Now your only worry is to keep the swelling down .

Respected Member
    there is a down side still, I'd just told Elaine that I would be in Manila for an extra 3 days, she was delighted. I now have to break the news to her that I wont be there I've managed to get one extra day and night in Manila as the flight times with Cathay are shorter.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Well done Ian Now your only worry is to keep the swelling down .
    I hope you are referring to my feet Alan I don't want to reduce swelling anywhere else

I hope you are referring to my feet Alan I don't want to reduce swelling anywhere else
    not the swelling in your wallet you dont
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

there is a down side still, I'd just told Elaine that I would be in Manila for an extra 3 days, she was delighted. I now have to break the news to her that I wont be there I've managed to get one extra day and night in Manila as the flight times with Cathay are shorter.
    Elaine wont mind i am sure Ian if you got the picture of the ???? on facebook but with a stone

Respected Member
    It's worked out well in the end, as I managed to get a LHR - MNL return with Cathay Pacific for £519plus an extra day and night in Manila Two days of stress and unlimited phone calls, but I got there in the end

Banned
    It's worked out well in the end, as I managed to get a LHR - MNL return with Cathay Pacific for £519plus an extra day and night in Manila Two days of stress and unlimited phone calls, but I got there in the end
    Great result well done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information