Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Daily Mail repeats ‘cheese-rolling banned’ myth, again

Just noticed this and wondered to what extent we all still believe if its in the paper it must be true

http://www.butireaditinthepaper.co.u...ed-myth-again/

Hmm thats ruined my trust in the Mail whatever next
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK
    Never liked 'The Mail' anyway - their crossword is too difficult!!!! Even The Times crossy is easier!

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Trusted Member
    I haven't bought a newspaper for at least 20 years.
    - Tired of paying to have my intelligence insulted.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Completely agree.

On one hand we have the tabloids who are only interested in celebrity gossip and destroying the characters of famous people, then we have the Mail and Express who want to create a society with Victorian morals and values. The broadsheets are no better either.

I get all my news online now

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Errrr What's a newspaper ...........

On a more serious note. I think they are great, I mean you can read about the same event in several papers and get a whole load of different and conflicting 'facts.'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Just noticed this and wondered to what extent we all still believe if its in the paper it must be true

http://www.butireaditinthepaper.co.u...ed-myth-again/

Hmm thats ruined my trust in the Mail whatever next
    Is this a Health & Safety Myth ??

Bollard fears cancel County Durham pancake race - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-12680264

err no it must be true it's from the good old BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Is this a Health & Safety Myth ??

Bollard fears cancel County Durham pancake race - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-12680264

err no it must be true it's from the good old BBC
    But dead we all know the beeb is full of pinko shirt lifters but the Mail thats unthinkable
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Jeez! Just and say, "cheese ..." !

Banned
    The BBC, now that is a monopoly that wont ever get sorted.

The amount of times when the Conservatives have been in power and have had to bring those 'pinko shirtlifters to task, is uncountable. I rememberMargaret Thatcher doing it now its David's turn disgracefulis what I say and we are bank rolling it. Andrew Marr, hang your head in shame

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    The BBC, now that is a monopoly that wont ever get sorted.

The amount of times when the Conservatives have been in power and have had to bring those 'pinko shirtlifters to task, is uncountable. I rememberMargaret Thatcher doing it now its David's turn disgracefulis what I say and we are bank rolling it. Andrew Marr, hang your head in shame
    The main things the beeb are good for is sports coverage/commentaries and natural history documentaries, both of which they are world leaders in

as for politics, the beeb has always been left of centre and ultra pc, that's never going to change. However, every TV channel has it's own bias and they all report things differently - BBC, ITV, C4, SKY, NBC, ABC,CNN even Al Jazeera......the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of all of these channels.

Banned
    The mighty difference being, between all those other organisations you mentioned is that the BBC is enforced funding. Why on earth can't it change. If people stood up and be counted, it woud have to change. Labour still can't get it right!

Respected Member
    I think the BBC is a fantastic media organisation. When compare how much I pay Sky and how much I pay for the BBC and then equate that to how much I use and enjoy each service, it's obvious that the BBC offers the best value for money, by a long way.

It may be "ultra PC", but I'd prefer it being accountable to the British people rather than being controlled by some power hungry mogul or having to conform to advertisers and shareholders.

We should be proud of the BBC and divert our criticisms to the grotty, sensationalist, hypocritical press.... The Sun, Daily Mail, News of the World, etc.

Respected Member
    The mighty difference being, between all those other organisations you mentioned is that the BBC is enforced funding. Why on earth can't it change. If people stood up and be counted, it woud have to change. Labour still can't get it right!
    That's very true about the beeb being enforced funding, but TBH I dont mind paying my £12 a month for my TV licence. I don't watch a lot of TV, but if I do it is usually the beeb, and I enjoy not having to watch the monotonous dross and tacky adverts that are on the commercial stations every 10 minutes. That is a real advantage when you have small kids, as mine only ever watch Cbeebies or CBBC - No adverts on their kids TV means no whining about can i have this or can I have that Dad

I'd rather pay £12 PM for quality documentaries on the beeb than £20 PM to Murdoch for 200 channels of complete garbage and recycled american sit coms or police shows.

Each to their own I suppose, but there should perhaps be an opt out clause, which means if you never watch the beeb you shouldn't pay the licence fee?

Banned
    I agree Englishman, you would of thought with todays technology they would have found away to accommodate us!

As for newspapers dancing the tunes of the super rich owners, how about the bbc dancing the tune of Labour, they dance that good, they're putting the riverdancers in the shade.

I grant you this, there coverage of F1 is superb

Banned
    As well as their PC left wing apologist bias what gets me about the BBC is the continuing blatant waste of public money. On Monday I watched one of those 3 item 30 min Inside Out programmes - they were exposing a Subway franchise that gave unfair contracts to it's workers. Was it really necessary to fly out and accommodate a production team and presenter to Slovakia for about 3 minutes of footage with two ex employees

Respected Member
    I agree Englishman, you would of thought with todays technology they would have found away to accommodate us!

As for newspapers dancing the tunes of the super rich owners, how about the bbc dancing the tune of Labour, they dance that good, they're putting the riverdancers in the shade.

I grant you this, there coverage of F1 is superb
    They've got the technology to do it, but it won't happen for a long time, if at all. At present the Beeb can rely on c.£140 a year from every home in the country, if there was an opt out clause, at least half the population wouldn't pay it. That would seriously harm the beebs ability to make quality original and award winning shows and documentaries), pay for sports broadcasting rights and make public information TV. I don't want the beeb to have to resort to advertisers to make up the shortfall.

I don't agree with their left wing news bias and over the top PC approach to everything, but I still support the BBC, they have made some really good shows over the years and continue to make quality TV ( I don't mean the soaps and Saturday evening mindnumbing talent shows or dancing contests), and I am proud of it as our national broadcaster

Respected Member
    As well as their PC left wing apologist bias what gets me about the BBC is the continuing blatant waste of public money. On Monday I watched one of those 3 item 30 min Inside Out programmes - they were exposing a Subway franchise that gave unfair contracts to it's workers. Was it really necessary to fly out and accommodate a production team and presenter to Slovakia for about 3 minutes of footage with two ex employees
    It might seem like a waste of money to you and I, but these public information programmes are very cheap to make. A few years ago I read that it cost about £100K to make a typical half hour sit com or drama show, but public info TV or news shows cost about a 5th of that. Better to waste our cash on flying a few people out to Slovakia than waste it on another unfunny sitcom or talent show

Banned
    I agree with both you and Ded its a scandal alright Words fail me which is not surprising seeing how I only got 40 words under my hat! Thanks .KeithAngel They could spend more on showing less repeats! That's another scandal. Andrew Marr is another, I watched him interview Blair, I thought he was going to drop between Blair's legs, the'sucking' up was that bad.

Banned
    Whilst I agree with you about not spending money on dumbed down TV I can't agree that flights, 5 star hotels, overseas allowances, downtime whilst travelling represent good value to the taxpayer. They should've brought the 2 Slovaks back to Bournemouth where they did the rest of the filming bunged them a couple of hundred £ and put them up in a B & B. Those Inside Out programmes are good regional based stuff and the making of them should remain in the regions it is totally unnecessary to fly people to the other side of Europe - I'm minded to try out a Freedom of Information request to prise the details out of them

Respected Member
    We can complain about our own TV and media coverage, but is it better anywhere else in the world?
    Berlesconi owns the media in Italy and he's the President Most of the developing and arab world countries TV stations are heavily censored by the rulers. The western TV stations and Newspapers are influenced by their owners political views.

Is there really such a thing as a totally free and unbiased press

Respected Member
    Whilst I agree with you about not spending money on dumbed down TV I can't agree that flights, 5 star hotels, overseas allowances, downtime whilst travelling represent good value to the taxpayer. They should've brought the 2 Slovaks back to Bournemouth where they did the rest of the filming bunged them a couple of hundred £ and put them up in a B & B. Those Inside Out programmes are good regional based stuff and the making of them should remain in the regions it is totally unnecessary to fly people to the other side of Europe - I'm minded to try out a Freedom of Information request to prise the details out of them
    Fair comment The Beeb has come in for a lot of criticism over its past spending habits, and they have had to cut back in recent times by axing various departments, radio stations, parts of the World Service....etc. I can't imagine the producers or accountants would authorise stays in 5 star hotels, but it would be interesting to find out how much it cost to get the crew over there. You might be surprised and find that they flew with Ryanair from Stansted, stayed in Formule 1/Accor type motels and dined out at McDonalds and KFC for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Fair comment The Beeb has come in for a lot of criticism over its past spending habits, and they have had to cut back in recent times by axing various departments, radio stations, parts of the World Service....etc. I can't imagine the producers or accountants would authorise stays in 5 star hotels, but it would be interesting to find out how much it cost to get the crew over there. You might be surprised and find that they flew with Ryanair from Stansted, stayed in Formule 1/Accor type motels and dined out at McDonalds and KFC for breakfast, lunch and dinner
    If I do find the time and they co-operate with an FOI request I'll post it and surprises here ! I have a sneaking suspicion that the overseas working allowances alone are more than generous, I smell a trough here

If I do find the time and they co-operate with an FOI request I'll post it and surprises here ! I have a sneaking suspicion that the overseas working allowances alone are more than generous, I smell a trough here
    Wow a new project for you to get your nose in thats great Dead
    Absit invidia

Banned
    A short and sweet get out response from the BBC - the quicker Patten gets in there to sort them out the better

I would like to have a breakdown of costs (flights, travel, allowances, hotels etc) involved in sending a presenter and crew to Slovakia for the item in Inside Out South 7/3/11 which covered dubious employment contracts issued by a Subway Franchise in Bournemouth.

The information you have requested is excluded from the Act because it is held for the purposes
    of ‘journalism, art or literature.’ The BBC is therefore not obliged to provide this information to
    you and will not be doing so on this occasion. Part VI of Schedule 1 to FOIA provides that
    information held by the BBC and the other public service broadcasters is only covered by the Act
    if it is held for ‘purposes other than those of journalism, art or literature”. The BBC is not
    required to supply information held for the purposes of creating the BBC’s output or information
    that supports and is closely associated with these creative activities.

im surprised your not on there ignore list

im sure patten will sort them out good and proper whilst he partakes in a little trough feeding for himself
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Thread Information