Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

New Prostate Cancer Tests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12610972

Much is made about various screening and tests for women, but something that all men over 40 should be aware of.

I speak from recent experience of this, as I was suffering from a stress related prostate condition for just over a year. Although I went for the PSA tests and lots of other tests (thanks to my company Health Insurance) I was still worried that I might have cancer and they hadn't found it. The stress of this and other stresses in my personal life caused me to lose over two stones in weight during this period.

Whether it's testicular cancer, prostate cancer or bowel/colon/stomach cancer, they are all serious illnesses which kill many men each year because they are too embarrassed to go to the local GP's for a check up. I'm sure our resident Doc can confirm that if these illnesses are caught early the survival rates are very high.

Gentlemen, don't be shy, and although the tests can be a bit intrusive and uncomfortable they are worth it

I endure the examination once a year and I think my Doctor suffers more nerves than me, mind you he is in his late seventies and his hands are not as steady. As you say its very important for us men to get over the embarrassment, grit your teeth, I do that anyway during the examination , and look after ourselves. The first time I had it my Doctor was a young African woman who I had great trust in and she put me at ease and relaxed.

My older brother had it and luckily it was caught early and dealt with, so even more reason why I`m on my guard. (thats what the Doc does when its finished)

Trusted Member
    There are already several threads to do with screening which can be searched for, or easily found on this section of the forum.
    I'm well aware that the forum deals with many issues apart from health. I also don't wish always to be identified with bad news. But the the truth is that screening picks up conditions at an early, treatable stage Let's not be embarrassed - this is the Health section, not the Humour section, and it's about helpful advice.
    Ian's quite right, his link reminds us that PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) is not reliable for a diagnosis of cancer - other conditions can cause it to be raised. Proof of cancer, and how aggressive it is, requires examination by the pathologist of needle core biopsies - not only painful to the patient, but time-consuming to interpret. So we await with interest further trials of other possible markers of cancer.
    I've said before, the UK doesn't have a good record of cancer treatment compared to similar countries.
    * More understanding leading to healthier lifestyle and prevention is one factor.
    * Screening is another. We have breast and cervical cancer screening, and now bowel cancer screening for males and females, which are known to be effective. But there are others, like testicular examination ( by self or partner). (Screening is also not just about cancer - cholesterol, blood pressure, and other simple blood tests to detect anaemia or alcohol abuse for example.)
    As Ian says, don't be shy Don't also be cynical
    I'm not suggesting or trying to threaten any members - moderation is the key, whether it's exercise, alcohol consumption, eating red meat or other sources of fat, or even occasional smoking Just be aware of any changes like weight, bowel movements, aches, pains, and swellings A health checkup every so often will pick up "silent" conditions like high blood pressure, and take advantage of relevant screening tests. They're mostly free when you need them in the UK ! Not so in the Philippines sadly.

Trusted Member
    Twice in recent weeks the BBC Health section has run stories on prostate cancer, both from the USA ( www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13430219 and www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13518537).
    This cancer is the commonest in UK males ( 1/4 new cancer diagnoses ; 37,000 / year with 10,000 / year dying from it). However 3/5 can expect to survive 10 years (+) from diagnosis. The chances of getting it increase with age (very low risk under 50), family history (5-10%), and there's wide ethnic variability (commoner in African blacks). In the Philippines as few as 4,000 new cases are diagnosed each year ( lung cancer being 3 times as commonly diagnosed).
    There are no proven modifiable risk factors. Not surprisingly, growth of the cancer is dependent on male hormones, so that is often the first line of treatment. Radiotherapy and surgery are other options.
    Previous studies have shown no link between coffee and prostate cancer, but this latest one (in the respected Journal of the National Cancer Institute for May 17 2011) followed about 50,000 males over 20 years. It concluded that men who drank 6 (+) cups a day cut their risk of cancer by 20% and the most aggressive type of cancer by 60%. The link appears to be unconnected with caffeine, but due to other compounds in coffee. However, men should not increase coffee intake based on this research - further studies are needed and large amounts of caffeine may have negative effects on health.
    The other study looked at the outcomes of 1,455 men with "localised" prostate cancer, and concluded that power walking at least 3 hours a week can "halve how much their cancer will grow and spread". Once again, further studies are needed, and anyone with cancer should be careful before starting vigorous exercise.

Another timely, and EXCELLENT thread - and one that is ESSENTIAL reading for those of us of the male gender who've already reached the age of 50 and/or above!!!!!

when i have my 6 month visa last november, my father used to have that illness just this december.. the stone became bigger and bigger ... and i was in uk with my husband... my sisters send me the ctscans and cystoscopies etc.. and its really getting bigger and bigger... so its like i was having a marathon bringing a very very big cross in my back..

Then this march, he had the operation... with the the chemotheraphy.. 1 chemo sessions per week was areally really huge big amount.. as in very expensive...

Everyday ,and everyday nght while i was in the uk, i cant sleep, maybe i can sleep but only 2 hours or sometimes less.. and every night with that, i keep on asking GOD... why its like this, when everything seems alright, another problem comes... my husband want to ask me are u alright but i dont want him to worry too...he knows whats going too but doesnt want him to be worried...
    Then,i i went home this may 2011,pack my bags for heathrow flight, tears in eyes while looking at my husband waiving at me when i enter the boarding area. its like i dont want to go home, so after i was scanned in heathrow, i look outside my husband was not there anymore , he needs to go too for his train schedule.
    when i arrive in cebu, i saw my father , hug him so close.. and i said how are u... he said .. he is fine.. i can really see he lose weight but as usual he eats like a dinosaur.. lol...
    When we eat together , i saw a big fruit in our table.. i ask what is that greeny thing?. my mom and father said that what the doctor advise to eat to your father so that he can save chemo sessions.. and the doctor said that, thats what most cancer people eat too in america and even the patients in the hospital were eating that oen too.. and because i dont want to argue about it... i did try to search it online.. and guess what, it will really act as natural chemo in the body..

may 17, we went to the doctor , he do some cyctoscopy again and walaaaaaa.... its gone..
    my mind became at ease at the moment.. its like the cross that im carrying was gone...

but since it cannot be taken for granted..i still want him to be check every now and then. and hoping that erything will be very fine... coz i love my parents so much.. dont want them to see struggling the pain...

i know miracles do happen to people who believes in him and people who stays on for better or for worst.. ..

Thanks to my loving husband too... i miss our racing and roulette routine .. hahahaha... be back soon..

And by the way , the fruit that i mentioned was a normal fruit here,.. its called GUYABANO... i dont know whats the english term though.. i hope that word will not be included in my english test since i dont know the english term... hahahhaha.....
    thats all folks...

for sharing with us, Kate; hopefully your father's health will be restored in the fullness of time ... and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your immediate family.

thank you arthur....

God is good all the time..

Trusted Member
    Welcome again to the forum Kate, please accept my sympathy and best wishes for your father. I'm sure, like Arthur, other members feel the same.

As you know, the guyabano fruit tree grows widely in the Philippines, and other tropical countries. It's known as graviola in Brazil and elsewhere; the English name is sour sop. The fruit and also extracts of leaves and bark have been used for years in many parts of the world as a remedy for a large number of ailments including cancers. One of the chemicals extracted from the bark is an alkaloid. Plant alkaloids, and other plant derivatives, are used in cancer treatment, as they have been proved to work by published "double blind" clinical trials. This means patients given such drugs do better than those who haven't. Unfortunately so far there is no such evidence that any extract from guyabano is effective, and no agent has been extracted which can also be synthesised ( made artificially). Of course it's a delicious fruit and contains vitamin C, so it won't do any harm. Drugs which are of proven use for this cancer stop cancer cells dividing by antagonising or acting against male hormones.
    Your father must have had cancer which was "advanced", or had spread beyond the prostate, to need surgery and chemotherapy. It's reassuring that cystoscopy (examining the bladder and area around the prostate) shows "it's gone". Hopefully his treatment has been effective. Prostate cancer can have rather unpredictable "behaviour", however, so he would be wise to have regular check ups.
    I do understand the added worry of the cost of treatment in Cebu or elsewhere in the Philippines. Our National Health Service is not perfect, but we are so lucky in this country to have it !

thank you doc..
    yes , its not too easy if fils will be sick in the philippines coz no insurance and if theres is one... they are too slow to process... its like they want the patient to crawl in the graveyard lol ...
    but anyways, my father is strong.. thankyou everyone...
    so live life to the fullest pipzzz....

What inspirational news about your father, Kate. I am so glad that he has made a remarkable recovery that was induced by eating a special fruit.

Thread Information