Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi everyone just a question... Is it right that i planned to take the exam a1 at hopkins by January 2012 if we plan to apply for spousal visa by March 2012??? Is it too early or just right? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lykayu01 View Post
    Hi everyone just a question... Is it right that i planned to take the exam a1 at hopkins by January 2012 if we plan to apply for spousal visa by March 2012??? Is it too early or just right? Thanks!!!
    That's absolutely fine lykayu

Its all confusing to me. Which test does my wife have to take guys to come here?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Its all confusing to me. Which test does my wife have to take guys to come here?
    It certainly is confusing. As there appears to be several test types and several test providers.

If your wife is near Manila then Hopkins in Makati and the TOEIC test is fine. I say that as my wife took it there and it worked well. But if, as I suspect, your wife is from another island then it will possibly be a different test center and probably a different test.
    Last edited by lastlid; 24th October 2011 at 10:29. Reason: Spelling correction.

Andy
    see the English language page and then review the UKBA List of Approved English Language Tests

You'll probably need to start by reviewing the links/websites of those providers who have test centers in the area near to where you your wife.
    Once you find a test centre then you can decide which of the tests being offered is most suitable.

Happy reading

we are in the bizarre situation as follows - fiancee took english test at EMD in Manila end March - applied and got fiancee visa end May, married in uk last week, supposed to be filing flr this week but it seems we cannot as they have removed emd from the list.
    We had both assumed that as we had passed a recognised test which had been through ukba approval process in past 6 months, this would be fine for flr within fiancee visa timeframe (6 months of visa issuance) - which we had until now been happy to comply with.
    After several calls to Croydon PEO we have had to give up our appt while my wife is registered to take two tests this week in the hope that one of them can get us the results before her visa runs out on Nov 22. We are now scheduled to go to Belfast (!) on Nov 11, so hope we can get the test results back by then.
    In my opinion this is outrageous behaviour by UKBA - I am tracking my costs, and intend to sit down with my solicitor when it is all over and challenge the validity of their process.
    The whole thing stinks. rather than enjoying and settling into married life we have to rush round just becuase UKBA change the goalposts as some of their 'selected' testers arent giving them enough kickbacks.

Banned
    I agree. It is a complete farce with the language tests. They should waive those that took and passed the tests prior to the changes in June / July. The whole language test thing is fraught with insaneness from many angles.

There was a lady on this site who has a degree in English (from the Philippines) and still had to take the language test for her visa. How stupid.

Ok thanks for the advice guys. My wife will probably take the test in davao so I will do some research.

Ok thanks favor the advice guys. My wife will probably take the test in davao so I will do some research.
    hello andy, if you dont mind, do you have an idea where in davao to take a english test?

Sorry for the delay answering yanghwa bust at work. My wife has a choice of davao and cagayan. I will give you the link to where they take the tests in davao. http://www.britishcouncil.org/philip...ts-profile.pdf. Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay answering yanghwa bust at work. My wife has a choice of davao and cagayan. I will give you the link to where they take the tests in davao. http://www.britishcouncil.org/philip...ts-profile.pdf. Hope this helps.
    thank you very much andy22, God Bless.......

No worries yanghwa I hope everything goes well for you.

Me too im planning to take the exam by on next year. i hope someone will post about there experience taking up the exam in Makati and some clue about the exams.

Banned
    My wife took hers in Makati. What do you need to know?

If you can, do the one day workshop first, which gives you experience of the actual test. It costs just a little more but is worth it. Also, they give you some practice papers to do.

On the other hand you can also get some practice papers from the internet. Is it Hopkins Makati that you are taking the test with?

Quote Originally Posted by tboy555 View Post
    we are in the bizarre situation as follows - fiancee took english test at EMD in Manila end March - applied and got fiancee visa end May, married in uk last week, supposed to be filing flr this week but it seems we cannot as they have removed emd from the list.
    We had both assumed that as we had passed a recognised test which had been through ukba approval process in past 6 months, this would be fine for flr within fiancee visa timeframe (6 months of visa issuance) - which we had until now been happy to comply with.
    After several calls to Croydon PEO we have had to give up our appt while my wife is registered to take two tests this week in the hope that one of them can get us the results before her visa runs out on Nov 22. We are now scheduled to go to Belfast (!) on Nov 11, so hope we can get the test results back by then.
    In my opinion this is outrageous behaviour by UKBA - I am tracking my costs, and intend to sit down with my solicitor when it is all over and challenge the validity of their process.
    The whole thing stinks. rather than enjoying and settling into married life we have to rush round just becuase UKBA change the goalposts as some of their 'selected' testers arent giving them enough kickbacks.
    same situation also to mine, i took the exam last 17 of april 2011 in cagayan de oro city and got my passed results after 15 working days. and suddenly they changed the validity of the english exam. so i need to take the exam again by on next year.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    My wife took hers in Makati. What do you need to know?

If you can, do the one day workshop first, which gives you experience of the actual test. It costs just a little more but is worth it. Also, they give you some practice papers to do.

On the other hand you can also get some practice papers from the internet. Is it Hopkins Makati that you are taking the test with?
    i strongly agree with lastlid as i will take my examination by DEC15 @ Hopkins Makati ;') Goodluck to me also to everyone ;')

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi everyone! it's been a while since my last post here. I had to come home here in the Phils. to take a new English test, since my previous one became invalid due to the changes in the UKBA policies. Anyway, i took an IELTS last Oct. 22, 2011,got the results Nov. 4..I passed! and so delighted to get a 7.5! My husband will be here Dec. 25, and we're looking forward to go back to UK together.

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Hi everyone! it's been a while since my last post here. I had to come home here in the Phils. to take a new English test, since my previous one became invalid due to the changes in the UKBA policies. Anyway, i took an IELTS last Oct. 22, 2011,got the results Nov. 4..I passed! and so delighted to get a 7.5! My husband will be here Dec. 25, and we're looking forward to go back to UK together.
    Congratulations on passing. Good score too.
    Why didn't you take the test in UK?

I took IELTS under the British council...and i got 7.5! I'm really happy because i had come home just to get this certificate. I applied for FLR 2 weeks after the UKBA changed their accredited test and test providers. The appointment i got with the test providers in UK were really late.But now i'm looking forward to be with my husband again.

thanks! yes it was indeed a blessing to get a 7.5, i was praying to get at least 5.
    I tried to get appointments from several test providers..but the earliest i got was nov. 11,2011..my visa would expire sept.23. We try to make an appeal but we were advised to just take the exam here and apply for a spouse visa after.

Very glad I found this thread! We were going to start the online visa app tomorrow but from what I've read it has to be completed within 10 days & it can take a couple of weeks to get the English test certificate.

Thanks for the heads up! Guess we need to wait a little longer.

Rosa.

Hi Rosa thats why you have joined the best filipino uk forum around so many knowlegable members on here just keep searching & you will find all the info you need for a succesfull visa application --

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

It appears that in January this year the required test requirements changed..

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...lish-tests.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
    It appears that in January this year the required test requirements changed..

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...lish-tests.pdf
    The requirements themselves did not change and UKBA still require a pass at level A1

The changes were with to approved providers and associated test centres.
    A couple of members got caught out by the changes in between applying for FLR from Fiance visa. Very worry "glitch" that was.

Hi I am confuse pls help me what english language i am going to take for spouse visa IELTS or TOIEC?...do i need to enroll in a review center?.and what english language mostly required in applying for a job there in UK..i'll appreciate if you reply..thanks..cheers

UKBA requires applicants to pass ANY English Language test that meets or exceeds the A1 level of the European Common framework.
    There are a number of different tests that can be taken, and a number of Approved Providers and test-centres but whichever one is chosen it must be shown here on the UKBA approved listing

The UKBA further states that,
    "In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.
    You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills. The minimum standard that you must meet is in speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. "

Please take time to review and understand this link "English language requirement"

Most of the various English tests are quite expensive. In the region of about P7000 - P8500

You really need to find a test centre that offers an appropriate approved test, at reasonable cost, close to where you live. Many of these test centres also arrange review classes for those whose self-confidence needs a boost.

My wife lives in Cebu and we plan to take her English test at Hopkins in Manila as the test centre at Cebu is not getting good reports. We got married last month, does my wife need to provide any proof that she is married and any anyone just book an appointment, will she need to show marriage certificate? If not what sort of ID will she need to show?
    We are just in the process of changing her name on her documents, ie.. Postal ID, Driving License and then passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    My wife lives in Cebu and we plan to take her English test at Hopkins in Manila as the test centre at Cebu is not getting good reports. We got married last month, does my wife need to provide any proof that she is married and any anyone just book an appointment, will she need to show marriage certificate? If not what sort of ID will she need to show?
    We are just in the process of changing her name on her documents, ie.. Postal ID, Driving License and then passport.
    Rory, basically it make no difference which name is used. However, I've seen it stated here somewhere that the name on the English Language certificate must be the same as that in the passport. Most people use the passport as ID.

Not got her passport yet and was thinking of getting the english test sorted out as soon as possible, will any ID do?

Will Driving License be ok?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information