Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

The UK Fiancee Visa Process Guide

The UK Fiancée Visa application can change, so please ensure you get the latest information from the UK Border Agency and only use this as an additional guide.

The UK fiancé visa is issued to applicants who wish to marry a British citizen or a permanent resident. The visa lasts for 6 months and during that period the applicant and sponsor must marry as per the conditions of the visa. Failure to marry will require the fiancée to return to the country of origin prior to the visa lapsing.

If for any reason the wedding is cancelled due to medical reasons, family death, etc, and the wedding would have to be after the visa expiry date, please contact the UK Border Agency explaining in detail why it has been cancelled, give them the new marriage date with proof, also proof of the reason for cancellation, and ask for a visa extension to cover the new date. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LET THE VISA LAPSE, YOU WILL THEN BE CLASSED AS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT AND MAY BE DEPORTED. This may also effect to re-enter the UK in the future.

Once you are in the UK, the applicant can’t access public funds (Benefits, Rent, etc), and is not allowed to take employment.

The fiancé visa holder can use the National Health Service (NHS) without charge (except prescriptions and dental). Additionally, the fiancé may attend courses and learning programmes.

Important: Evidence should be in the original if possible or a certified copy (stamped by a solicitor/lawyer). Please ensure when sending originals you keep copies yourself. Also if posting original documents to the Philippines use a secure delivery service such as UPS/FEDEX/Etc. Yes it costs a bit, but it’ll cost a lot more in time and money if the normal postal service loses them whether they are signed for or not, as the Philippine postal service is not secure.

All evidence submitted will be returned to the applicant.

Identification

The applicant must present a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining until its expiry, and at least one full empty page where the visa can be affixed.

If the passport is not issued in the country where the application is entered, it should include evidence that the applicant is actually resident in that country. If the applicant is unable to establish citizenship or normal residence in the country where the application is entered, the application will be declined except for extraordinary circumstances. The only exception to this rule is when the Foreign Office instructs a consulate to process applications from another country.

The applicant's passport has to be issued by an entity accepted by the UK as a legitimate sovereign government.

Biometrics

The applicant has to provide evidence of biometric enrolment. This means recording one's photograph and fingerprints at an authorised biometric enrolment centre. Further details can be found here
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/biometricvisa/

Sponsor's Identification

This usually means the sponsor's passport. If the passport itself cannot be presented, then a notarized copy of the portrait page should be made by a UK authorized solicitor or notary.

Evidence that the applicant and sponsor have actually physically met each other .

This would include evidence of travel, such as passport stamps, boarding passes, ticket receipts, etc. Photographs of you both together and correspondence showing the relationship is ongoing and current. IE. Phone calls, SMS, IM’s, Chat, etc

Sponsor's Letter

If the sponsor is not accompanying the applicant, a letter must be provided, explaining his/her awareness and support of the application. You can get ideas for this from this post
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/29695-Fiancée-Visa-Application-–-Cover-Letter-Example

Financial Standing

The application must be supported by evidence that proves the applicant will not require public funds. Generally this takes the form of the sponsor/applicant (or co-sponsor) providing:

· Salary slips for at least the previous 3 months, preferably 6 months; AND
    · Bank statements for at least the previous 6 months; AND
    · The sponsor's (co-sponsor's) employment contract (if the sponsor is not independently wealthy). A letter of the employer will suffice; AND
    · The sponsor's (co-sponsor's) most recent P60.

If the sponsor (co-sponsor) is self-employed, owns his own company, or if the sponsor (co-sponsor) is unemployed, then the employment contract and P60 can be substituted with certified copies of the previous 2 years' tax returns accompanied by a notarized version of his/her business accounts.

If the sponsor (co-sponsor) is retired, then a statement from his pension scheme will do.

If there are disproportionate deposits and withdrawals in the bank statements, they must be explained in the sponsor's letter, in fact explain as much as you can about the transactions.

Some consulates will not accept bank statements printed out from e-banking accounts because they are so easily forged. Original statements can usually be obtained from the bank upon request, otherwise have a solicitor verify them.

Accommodation

If the sponsor owns his home, he should include a certified copy of the deed showing this, or other proof of home ownership. If the sponsor has a mortgage, the appropriate entry from the Land Registry should be provided, this is available online for a fee if you do not have it, and the mortgage payments should appear in the bank statements.

If the sponsor rents a house or flat, the tenancy agreement should be provided. If the applicant is not a signatory to the tenancy agreement, then a statement from the landlord needs to be supplied that attests to his agreement that the premises can be occupied by an additional person.

Accommodation (sharing)

If the sponsor and the applicant are to live in accommodation with multiple occupants (i.e. Family/friends/etc), the information shown for renters should be provided. Additionally, the applicant and sponsor need to show that they have exclusive access to a bedroom that will be occupied solely by them. A bedroom may be a family room or study which has been converted for exclusive access. The bedroom must be at least 50 square feet in dimension.

Intervening Devotion

If the applicant and sponsor have been separated for a lengthy period of time before the application is submitted (i.e., longer than 3 or 4 months), then evidence of intervening devotion should be included. This would normally take the form of phone records or other forms of electronic communication.

Note: When submitting email, chats, IM logs, it is important to keep in mind that intervening devotion means evidence of contact and not a complete transcript of each and every chat. Examples are enough.

Marital History

If the applicant/sponsor has a prior marriage(s), they must include the divorce certificate(s) (or death certificates in the case of widowers). If divorce certificates cannot be produced, the applicant/sponsor must provide evidence that the divorce would be recognized in the UK as legitimate.

If the sponsor or applicant has been in a relationship "akin to marriage" previously, then documentation needs to be provided that shows that that relationship has permanently broken down.

Movement of Children

If children are to come with the applicant, evidence needs to be given that their movement will not contravene the Hague Convention (or any other treaty which the UK is a party to). This normally takes the form of a sole custody document, or a notarized statement from the other parent.

Applicants/Sponsors : Large difference in ages

UK rules do not state that the applicant and sponsor must be within a certain age differential, but if there is a disproportionate age difference (25+ years), it is possible to be declined on this so ensure you explain the reasons in detail.

Tuberculosis (TB)

You are required to bring an x-ray with you, although whether this is required depends on which airport you land.

Immigration History

If the applicant has an immigration history which reflects unfavourably on the application, such as overstaying, deportation, professional advice needs to be sought.

The Fiancé Visa Checklist

This is a representative checklist that covers most of the requirements, but it should not be taken as authoritative. Some items are not appropriate for every case (divorce certificates for example), and excluding an item does not result in automatic refusal. Similarly, including all items below does not guarantee success.

· Application form (VAF4), photo, and fee). Applications are now preferred to be done online and all supporting documents will be collected
    · Applicant's passport
    · Evidence of sponsor's immigration status in UK (sponsor's passport)
    · Sponsor's birth certificate (if passport not available), Applicant's birth certificate, Dependent children's birth certificate(s)
    · Evidence that the sponsor and applicant have met
    · Letter from the sponsor confirming the application and explaining the grounds of the relationship
    · Divorce/death certificates
    · Evidence of sponsor's employment in UK
    · Sponsor's pay slips (6 months)
    · Sponsor's bank statements (6 months)
    · Evidence of applicant's or sponsor's savings
    · Evidence of sponsor's mortgage or tenancy agreement
    · If rented accommodation, evidence that the landlord gives permission for an additional resident
    · If dependent children are accompanying the applicant, evidence that the accommodation is large enough
    · Evidence of on-going contact
    · If available, applicant's old passport
    · If available, a provisional registry office booking
    · A photocopy of all original documents submitted
    · Biometrics

Additional Information:

Do you intend to work the UK?

This question on the form may seem strange as fiancées are not allowed to work under the terms of the visa. For fiancée visa applicants who intend to work when allowed just answer as follows: “Under the terms of the fiancée visa I am not allowed to work and will not do so. However once I am married, if future visa’s allow me to work I may consider actively seeking work”, and tick the YES box.

When did you first meet your sponsor? When did your relationship begin?

This question refers to the first time you physically met your sponsor in person, and not the first time you made contact. In the ECO's view, people first meet in person and a relationship ensues after that. In the modern view that includes the internet, people will begin a relationship before they actually meet in person. Stick with the traditional view for this series of questions whilst simultaneously not concealing anything of relevance.

Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship like a marriage...?

This answer aids the ECO determine if the marriage is a sham or not. In a sham marriage, the two parties typically have no history whatsoever of cohabitation. Cohabitating in this sense means, a holiday or short visit, were you have been together as you would be if you were married (i.e. living/sleeping together). The latter should be mentioned and answered YES.

Extra

Do I need to supply an air ticket with the visa application?

No. But there is no harm in supplying one or two screen prints of the costs on the date the applicant is expected to fly.

Does the wedding need to be booked and proof supplied?

No. But a letter from the church or registry office confirming you have enquired will not harm your application.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Red face

thank you so much for this very helpful information

Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    ntervening Devotion

If the applicant and sponsor have been separated for a lengthy period of time before the application is submitted (i.e., longer than 3 or 4 months), then evidence of intervening devotion should be included. This would normally take the form of phone records or other forms of electronic communication.

Note: When submitting email, chats, IM logs, it is important to keep in mind that intervening devotion means evidence of contact and not a complete transcript of each and every chat. Examples are enough.
    I don't quite get this, coz most couples here sent entire chat logs, resulting to several pages. So do you mean just pick a few? Or can I just print screen my email inbox which shows several email subjects from my fiance?

I'm confused >.<

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The UK Fiancée VisaAdditional Information:

Do you intend to work the UK?

This question on the form may seem strange as fiancées are not allowed to work under the terms of the visa. For fiancée visa applicants who intend to work when allowed just answer as follows: “Under the terms of the fiancée visa I am not allowed to work and will not do so. However once I am married, if future visa’s allow me to work I may consider actively seeking work”, and tick the YES box.

When did you first meet your sponsor? When did your relationship begin?

This question refers to the first time you physically met your sponsor in person, and not the first time you made contact. In the ECO's view, people first meet in person and a relationship ensues after that. In the modern view that includes the internet, people will begin a relationship before they actually meet in person. Stick with the traditional view for this series of questions whilst simultaneously not concealing anything of relevance.

Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship like a marriage...?

This answer aids the ECO determine if the marriage is a sham or not. In a sham marriage, the two parties typically have no history whatsoever of cohabitation. Cohabitating in this sense means, a holiday or short visit, were you have been together as you would be if you were married (i.e. living/sleeping together). The latter should be mentioned and answered YES.

Extra

Do I need to supply an air ticket with the visa application?

No. But there is no harm in supplying one or two screen prints of the costs on the date the applicant is expected to fly.

Does the wedding need to be booked and proof supplied?

No. But a letter from the church or registry office confirming you have enquired will not harm your application.
    Hi, everyone. My question has been probably already answered somewhere but I just cant find my way around the site yet, sorry. :/

Anyways, we are using an agent's service and in filling up the form she just told me to put no to the question 'Do you intend to work the UK?'. And also to the question 'Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship like a marriage...?' she made me answer 'no' too. But the thing is during the three times my fiance was here we were together in a house and lived like we're married. I have read this post before so I have been thinking about it. Would the answers to these question greatly affect their decision? Obviously, I really want my fiancee visa application approved so I want every detail in my application to be perfect.
    Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Respected Member
    Hi
    just check out the healthcare surcharge , links on vfs website we were charged about 600£ you need that registration number at Vfs
    as we discovered to day . see my post on that forum post on surcharge

Respected Member
    At VFS just beware : a carefully organised lever arch file folder with all documents checked by my fiancée was emptied by the VFS assistant over a chair(not desk) prior to her getting to submission desk he thought he was being helpful claiming she didn't need duplicates of Skype logs and emails ,in handing these back he misplaced her photo diary of relationship with the claimed unnecessary Skype logs .
    She then submitted documents but was unaware of omission of photo diary.Bless her she's highly stressed as they (vfs) claimed we had to pay a health service surcharge now,And their website didn't function all the prior weekend to her Monday appointment 13 april.We finally registered surcharge by making a new email address ,
    But our application was prior to april 6 cut off date .
    Any way after numerous complaints they've allowed her to DHL these documents to embassy.
    Beware too the email form on contact gets standard replies.Call them if you need a sensible response.
    We finally got permission to submit photo diary.Yet if they hadn't agreed, it was fresh fiancée submission,wait for 28 days for refund after cancel application then resubmit, and back to manila, plus presumably a big wait for documents back????
    Just sharing our experience

Thread Information