Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    or as another wise old hand said to me if you want to make a small fortune bring a big one
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

hi what experience do you have of olongapo thats where my girl comes from we have a house there recently purchased so far i like it there but im not ready to commit completely yet
    ive considered this a starting point but would like to at least buy a piece of land near the sea may in or near san antonio about an hrs drive from olongapo city
    olongapo house or land prices are set to rise over the next yr or more due to a huge shopping mall being built there i did witness the foundations and various concrete pillars being erected there last week
    any knowledge welcomed regards mark

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    are you having a laugh? Central Dumaguete has got to be most crowded place in the Visayas in the daytime. Traffic is terrible.

agree outside is brilliant, a small town like Valencia would be lovely, but you couldn't pay me to live in Dumaguete town.

Quote Originally Posted by callippo View Post
    are you having a laugh? Central Dumaguete has got to be most crowded place in the Visayas in the daytime. Traffic is terrible.

agree outside is brilliant, a small town like Valencia would be lovely, but you couldn't pay me to live in Dumaguete town.
    No one is forcing you .... and that is just your opinion
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Theres only really perdices and the boulevard packed with tricycles unless its changed massively since I was there last november or december(cant remember when I left dumaguete)When I first visited the very early 1990's I remember being offered a house for £2000 just off the Boulevard near Jo's Chicken,it was a tranquil place back then.Could be worse,it could be a hellishly boring place like Bacolod

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    first time I went to Dumaguete was 10 years ago and even in that time it's become a lot more congested. It's not a large city like Bacolod. It's only a quarter of the size and yet it is still the main hub of southern Negros.The small town's infrastructure just can't cope. It eases off somewhat at night time, but in the daytime so many people come in to work downtown that it just clogs up to a ridiculous level. Dumaguete is pretty much like every other city in the Philippines really, where there's this endless and probably ultimately fruitless struggle to upgrade the infrastructure fast enough to keep up with rapidly rising population and the flight from country to city - only more so.

Zebu Zoo.. i mean C.E.B.U.......

I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

siargao 'coz its a nice place, and it's my mum's hometown

But i really want to live in Palawan

i would like to have my own little resort Beach would be nice... then i'll have a little resto there Free english breakfast for the first morning!!! and i'll sell doner kebab / fish& chips at night..

think that be enough for me/hubby to survive there

(lol nice dream thou')

Dont know 'bout my lil daughter thou' she hate the hot weather... love the beach but dont want to get in the water
    Last edited by wrigglybum; 15th June 2011 at 20:33. Reason: wrong spelling
    ...wrigglybum....

Palawan - Puerto Princesa is where my misses family live now

hopefully i'll be taking little joe this year or early next year. take him to the croc farm
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

croc farm

any idea how much to buy a plot of land there be nice to know my self
    ...wrigglybum....

i got married at this hotel

whose crocs kept looking at me , maybe they thought it was lunch time

http://www.asturiashotel.ph/destinations.php
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

hi wrigglybum, land prices are rising around Puerto especially north as we now have a robinsons mall being built about 5km north of the city. If you go north by say another 25km on the highway prices are getter better and of course depends on the plot shape, amount of flat area, forsest or fruit trees, water supply etc. We bought our place in 2006 when land say in our village of San manuel was around 700 per sqm now it is around double that or more for good plot. We have just under 3000sq ft and have a seven bedtroom spanish style villa on it with very large garden, mango trees some buko tree and a decent well. We were lucky to buy it through land bank as a forclosed property about 90% complete for just under 3 million but spend another millon on wall/railings/ air cons/ paintwork and fittings, still a bargain at that time as at 90+ peso to the £. We have had offers of around 11 million but we want to keep it so are now looking for a long term renter. Go to Islandproperties.com and select Palawan for a rough idea but be careful some properties say Puerto but are up to 40km away from the city. If you fall in love with any just PM me and I can try to give some opinion/view on the location etc
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

[QUOTE=wrigglybum;296189]I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

But i really want to leave in Palawan

i would like to have my own little resort Beach would be nice... then i'll have a little resto there Free english breakfast for the first morning!!! and i'll sell doner kebab / fish& chips at night..

(lol nice dream thou')
    we all should keep our dreams open, mine are and we are nearly there too

Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    hi wrigglybum, land prices are rising around Puerto especially north as we now have a robinsons mall being built about 5km north of the city. If you go north by say another 25km on the highway prices are getter better and of course depends on the plot shape, amount of flat area, forsest or fruit trees, water supply etc. We bought our place in 2006 when land say in our village of San manuel was around 700 per sqm now it is around double that or more for good plot. We have just under 3000sq ft and have a seven bedtroom spanish style villa on it with very large garden, mango trees some buko tree and a decent well. We were lucky to buy it through land bank as a forclosed property about 90% complete for just under 3 million but spend another millon on wall/railings/ air cons/ paintwork and fittings, still a bargain at that time as at 90+ peso to the £. We have had offers of around 11 million but we want to keep it so are now looking for a long term renter. Go to Islandproperties.com and select Palawan for a rough idea but be careful some properties say Puerto but are up to 40km away from the city. If you fall in love with any just PM me and I can try to give some opinion/view on the location etc
    Thanks for the info scott&ligaya
    hmmm i got to work hard on to that
    ...wrigglybum....

Respected Member
    Tagaytay for me. Cool air,a range of reasonable restaurants and hotels.Accessible to Manila and nearby malls in Dasmarinas.Downsides are the high rise developments that are mushrooming and the increasing traffic,especially during holy week.Lots of expats especially Koreans but the Brits outnumber the Germans 5 to 1.The mayor is very foreigner friendly and hosted a free bbq to expats last month.Even the U.S ambassador turned up.

Respected Member
    Metro Tagaytay for me. We spend our weekends there,the climate is cool and pleasant.There are a good range of quality hotels and restaurants and a Robinsons mall. The mayor is very foreigner-friendly and recently hosted a bbq for over 100 expats and families,even the US ambassador attended. There is a good expat community and Brits outnumber all other expat nationalities(except for the Koreans who do not integrate)Its an easy drive to the beaches of Batangas and for any bikers its the open road experience around rural Cavite and Batangas
    Downsides are the growing traffic congestion,increasing population and high-rise buildings being constructed....oh and the city is also situated on the east valley fault line and a few kms from the active volcano Taal but all in a very pleasant place

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrigglybum View Post
    I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

But i really want to live in Palawan

(lol nice dream thou')

Dont know 'bout my lil daughter thou' she hate the hot weather... love the beach but dont want to get in the water
    Palawan's a great choice, and is high on my list of priorities of places I'd like to settle, I'm going back again this year, but to the Northern end around El Nido and Coron this time. Puerto Princesa is nice and clean for a Filipino City, but it seems like it's a bit of a trek if you want a decent beach. The islands in Honda Bay are really nice (Especially Pandan Island), but a bit of a hassle to get to if you fancy a spur of the moment trip to the beach. If you do open that English Fish n Chip shop, I'll be a regular customer Not sure about the Donner Kebabs though

I'll pick Baybay, Leyte since I've been living here for 10 years....it's accessible to ports and airports, cities and provinces....I love looking at the majestic mountain where sun rises and walk to the beach and watch the sun sets between the Camotes Islands.....so peaceful, so serene.....the air is not polluted, cool breeze from the mountain and warm air from the sea.....when the weather is too hot, the cold streams can take the heat by taking a quick dip or soak for hours. We go hiking and follow the trails near the streams, the last stop is always the falls. Most of all, I love the university environment.

Much that I love it here, I still miss the sound of the waves crashing to the shore. I miss the sight of the foam of the waves, miss the salty tang of the sea air, miss the lagoons, miss the fine white sand. I miss my native land Eastern Samar. I miss the turbulent sea during December down to February. The sea here in Baybay is too quiet for me. I miss digging my toes into the fine white sand. I miss the thrill being in the boat and all you sea is the expanse of the sea and the Pacific Ocean. I may not know how to swim but it never deterred me going to islands. I love the untouched look of the area, no tourist, no resorts, just me and the islands. I miss the tuna, and fish that can only be caught in the ocean. I miss lots of sea foods that I took for granted while I was still in Eastern Samar.

I cant choose which one coz I love both Eastern Samar and Baybay, Leyte. I love the solitude they offer, and that's what I'm always after.
    love makes life worth living

I must say that I am a big fan of Butuan City. It good fun and secure. I have had some good times there I can tell you!

the majestic mountain of Baybay

my favorite Ando Island

Canigao Island

Lake Danao, Ormoc
    love makes life worth living

Cebu City is nice. There's a lot to discover in this place. You could travel to the North or South of Cebu and there are a lot to see esp. the beaches. Cebu is also near many different islands like Bohol, Dumaguete, etc. Food is not expensive in Cebu unlike in the capital Manila.

I do have a bit of experence regards living in Dumaguete.......I was married in Dgte in 1984 and have been coming here every year since........Been permanently here for 10 years.......I'm afraid I've had enough......I use to live in Lipayo Dauin 12 km south of the city along side of the resorts in the bay.

Moved into the city for work and my partner's work for the last 3 years.....The city has a population of about 120,000 residents and swells to over 400,000 during the day as people come in from the provinces for work and school, hence why the city is packed with pedicabs.

Yes it use to be the "City of Gentle People by the bay" not anymore.......as locals come here from other islands to settle......The crime rate here is out of control as well as the drug problem.....An 75 year old Australian was shot dead in Valencia 2 days ago and one of the cities Attorney's was also killed a few weeks ago. This is not the
    1st time Atty's have been murdered its 4 in the least 2 years.....one was murdered by his carpenter his body was found in the concrete septic tank.....All for money....There is 2 gangs in the city the Crips and the Bloods always at each others throats and have ties with the Siliman University students......The infill structure of the City has improved over the years but struggles to keep pace with the growth....Now that the old mayor Pedices has gone, he didn't want growth or change.

The young Vice Mayor is a personal friend and one of my Att's and part of my corporation is trying to encourage investment and growth....Its the corruption in all levels of Gov't that's the problem and always will be he states.....

Don't get me wrong we have made good money here....But its time to slow done and enjoy the Visaya's.....Its time to hit the bigger city of Cebu....I will keep one appartment in Dgte and my residence will be in the hills of cebu looking over the city,Mactan and Bohol island......We both need some of the nicer things in life now such as good restuarants, mall shopping and imported food products as Cebu offers.

All in all I would not live in any other country but my beloved Philippines and its wonderful people.....This just my insight to Dumaguete which is just like any other city once you look under the surface and work and live in this city....

Koala

Trusted Member
    Thanks for the input.

A most interesting post from someone 'on the ground'.

Well Koala, your experience of living in the Philippines is far more extensive than mine.
    It's sad that you find Dumaguete no longer suits you.

Personally I find there's always plenty of negative publicity relating to the potential dangers of Philippines living and an overall lack of safety and security especially for 'foreigners'. Plenty of places here in UK I would avoid living in at all costs for the very same reasons. Signs of the times I guess..... shame.

Crime and danger lurk everywhere. Certainly in most of the places I have lived, including Japan which is meant to be one of the safest places. Plenty of very nasty teen gangs there, often competing with each other for vacancies within the Yakuza.

The American styled 'wanna-be' groups calling themselves Crips and Bloods are allegedly present in a number of places in the Philippines.
    Until your post I'd never really heard about any activity in Dumaguete, but I certainly did hear about some activity in Cebu and increasingly now in Angeles.
    I hope Cebu suits your expectations, it has a reputation of being a relatively safe city, especially for 'foreigners'.

I've always enjoyed my stays in Cebu and found it a great place for imported foods of all kinds. It's a good base for exploring loads of other places too, with it's good transportation links.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views and experience and good luck for your future plans.

Respected Member
    I've a reasonable amount of experience living here (nearly 6 years in three seperate locations) and I've thought long and hard about this question. My (VERY PERSONAL) minimum needs would be (in no order) satellite TV (anywhere) Internet capable of email/browsing (not 50Gb downloads) a town/city within 30 minutes driving with a SM/Robinsons etc. for a weekly shop and within a 2 hour drive/ferry of Cebu/Manila for medical/bi-monthly shopping purposes. Oh and no more than 5 minutes from a beach. Turns out where I live in Pangalo Bohol fulfils all these. I worry though that it's becoming over developed and we will have to move or look to retire elsewhere. I'll need to get a big map and an old fashioned drawing compass....

Quote Originally Posted by BoholoX View Post
    I'll need to get a big map and an old fashioned drawing compass....
    All good points to consider.
    I have found although that my "list" doesn't change so much, the ranking/priorities does change.
    Top of my list now is location within easy reach of a quality hospital/medical facility.
    Happens to most I guess.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information