Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I love The Highlands ...
    ... so do I ... except in my case, I'm talking about the Scottish Highlands ... and *Perth, in particular ... although, strictly-speaking, The 'Fair City' (as it's known) - apart from apparently losing its former city status following Local Government Reorganisation in 1975 - is more centrally located ... and is commonly referred to as being [only] the "Gateway to the Highlands".

An odd choice for someone who is technically a 'Lowlander' (having been born in Glasgow) ... but I've stayed *here - in the same house - for nearly 43 years and quite honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else now ... especially at my age.

thread, Ian ... my sincere aplogies!!!

Dumaguete, why because I don't like over populated places like Manila and Cebu.
    Dumagete is the fastest growing town in the Fils. Compact, got airport,shipping/pier,lovely boulevard with resto's, bars and very Friendly and polite Filipinos. (City of Gentle People)
    Excellent place,perdices street is tricycle central nowadays,I remember it 20 years ago,I am there most years.
    I dont intend to retire to Pinas,but if I had to it would be south-mindanao somewhere,zambo,cotabato,maybe Davao?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Nooo....you'll hate it.

(Both Puerta Galera, Mindoro).
    White Beach, Graham? I was in Or Mdo for a week last Aug, Elaine's family are from Mansalay in the South East of the island. We spent 3 days at White Beach, Puerto Galera and had a great time. Everything looks a bit dated, and like it's seen better days, but it has a charm about it and we'd happily go back again - in fact we may go back for a few days later this year
    Compared to Boracay and Panglao everything is cheap, the only slight downer is that it seems to be a magnet for transgender bar workers. Every bar along White Beach was packed with Tranny bar girl/boys Elaine and I had a good laugh with some of them, but after a while the campness and drama becomes a bit tiresome

edit: not bar boy/girls in the way we associate with Ph, I meant bar servers/waitresses

Arthur, i love perth i think its beutiful last time i was there for 2 days the second day up early to spend the day at the hermatage awsome stunning, hugged a tree or two, but seriously i had a fantastic day, loved it,

Hermatage, Perth

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Arthur, i love perth i think its beutiful last time i was there for 2 days the second day up early to spend the day at the hermatage awsome stunning, hugged a tree or two, but seriously i had a fantastic day, loved it,

Hermatage, Perth

Marvellous photographs, Stewart ... thanks so much for sharing!

your welcome, Arthur

Respected Member
    Fantastic photo's Imagine, it looks stunning there, just a shame Scotland's so far north :( my body needs tropical sunshine

thanks englishman, yes its cold here near the bloo toon, this little north east corner , the colds painful on my bones,
    some beutiful beaches rattray and scotstown, if only they had that tropical sun,instead you get sand blasted lol: . i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot

Respected Member
    thanks englishman, yes its cold here near the bloo toon, tis little north east corner ,the colds painful on my bones,
    i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot
    I never complain about it being too hot in the tropics, I make the most of it when I'm there. Coming from a cold, grey and damp island in the North East Atlantic sunshine is a rarity

this little north east corner
    When I was a kid we used to get packed off to Caithness for the summer holidays,my cousin still has a croft just west of Thurso,scotland would be great if it only had slightly warmer weather.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot
    Learn this Stewart...too mainit...pronounced like you read it ma-in-it...means too hot (though it could be bisayan & not tagalog?)

Nice photo's

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Excellent place,perdices street is tricycle central nowadays,I remember it 20 years ago,I am there most years.
    I dont intend to retire to Pinas,but if I had to it would be south-mindanao somewhere,zambo,cotabato,maybe Davao?
    Is it safe, Zambo,cotabato?. Yeah perdices street in midday chokes but the boulevard makes up for that.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Learn this Stewart...too mainit...pronounced like you read it ma-in-it...means too hot (though it could be bisayan & not tagalog?)

Nice photo's
    It is Tagalog.

And of course 'malamig'...cold.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    It is Tagalog.

And of course 'malamig'...cold.
    Thanks for the confirmation ...I always like to say "It's too mainit innit" when over there.

Nice photo's
    or u can say.."sobrang init" (sob-rang i-nit)

Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    or u can say.."sobrang init" (sob-rang i-nit)
    Thanks gparry I'll practice that.

Nice photo's
    You mean like as if you are saying it to your Mum?
    Hot here Ma ..Innit?

thanks guys, by the time i get to philipines il be mainit at speaking the language.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    You mean like as if you are saying it to your Mum?
    Hot here Ma ..Innit?
    Yeah! or it ain't half hot mum!

r rainy at the moment though
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    r rainy at the moment though
    but hot rain is cool i love it hen it rains
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    If you are seeking perfection, you will never find it. All I need is somewhere safe to bring up my family, be it here in Swindon or Bicol. What matters most to me is, who you are with. You could be living in a total hell hole but, if you have your soul mate by your side, it will seem like heaven. Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    If you are seeking perfection, you will never find it. All I need is somewhere safe to bring up my family, be it here in Swindon or Bicol. What matters most to me is, who you are with. You could be living in a total hell hole but, if you have your soul mate by your side, it will seem like heaven. Just my thoughts
    Yes, you are so right gWaPito, rich or poor... it all depends on who you have to love and love you.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

i think you have to visit the places many many times before you can say we are home, i hope i have the chance like many have already chose there places , i can dream of them , but rather walk out the back door and think uummmmmmmmmmmmmm yes here is home

Mindanao for us
    I would like to say Camiguin, but Ladybug is too scared of the volcanoes & so am I to a certain extent, from what I've found out...Though Mt. Hibok Hibok hasn't seriously erupted since 1951.

...So I'm going to do what Englishmen said don't do & pick Cagayan de Oro City, where Ladybug lives.
    I like the place & it feels right & I regard it as my 2nd home. It's not too big, a bit polluted, but it has a lot going for it, it's easy to get around.... There are beaches a jeepney ride away, a domestic Airport & an international Airport being built...Camiguin's not far away too.

Ladybug & her 2 sisters who are in America, have just bought a lot & a house is going to be built at some point, for family to stay. Her folks live a 5 hour bus journey away, in Bukidnon Province.
    ...So all we need to do, is buy our own lot & put a house on it...maybe just out of the city?

We think it's a good place to be based & with domestic flights being reasonably cheap, you can explore other Islands, much as you may do when on holiday & which we have done...So that's where you'll find us.

I agree with you. We have just brought another house just outside Batangas City surrounded by open fields and hills, very peaceful yet only a short ride into town and now much quicker to get to Manila on the tollway.

Yeah mate,Zambo and cotabato are as safe as anywhere I guess,been to a lot riskier places and my lucks always held,I could walk through London tomorrow and be mown down by a bus
    Your right about the boulevard at night,very relaxed atmosphere,great place to sit and take stock of the world.

I really enjoy reading all the postings on this thread. What a lot of fantastic places there are.
    I know this thread is aimed primarily between UK and Phils, and I know I already shared our current thinking for Phils.
    But....... given a completely blank page and the opportunity, both Carina and myself would choose Yokohama in Japan as our number one place to live, without any hesitation. Philippines is our realistic paradise though.
    Besides which, given a bit of luck we will be able to spend as much time as we want in Japan, once we are based in Phils. Short flight and a good escape in the hot months.
    Mmm. Best of both worlds really.

Respected Member

...So I'm going to do what Englishmen said don't do & pick Cagayan de Oro City, where Ladybug lives.
    I like the place & it feels right & I regard it as my 2nd home. It's not too big, a bit polluted, but it has a lot going for it, it's easy to get around.... There are beaches a jeepney ride away, a domestic Airport & an international Airport being built...Camiguin's not far away too.

Ladybug & her 2 sisters who are in America, have just bought a lot & a house is going to be built at some point, for family to stay. Her folks live a 5 hour bus journey away, in Bukidnon Province.
    ...So all we need to do, is buy our own lot & put a house on it...maybe just out of the city?

We think it's a good place to be based & with domestic flights being reasonably cheap, you can explore other Islands, much as you may do when on holiday & which we have done...So that's where you'll find us.
    Sounds perfect Sim.
    I haven't ventured down to Mindanao yet, but might give CDO or Davao a try on a future trip.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I really enjoy reading all the postings on this thread. What a lot of fantastic places there are.
    I know this thread is aimed primarily between UK and Phils, and I know I already shared our current thinking for Phils.
    But....... given a completely blank page and the opportunity, both Carina and myself would choose Yokohama in Japan as our number one place to live, without any hesitation. Philippines is our realistic paradise though.
    Besides which, given a bit of luck we will be able to spend as much time as we want in Japan, once we are based in Phils. Short flight and a good escape in the hot months.
    Mmm. Best of both worlds really.
    I'm enjoying reading about all of the wonderful places too Terpe, and Japan is another country I'd love to explore, and of course the Phil's is a perfect base for exploring the region.

I'm not in a position to move to the Phil's for a long time, I'm 43 and my youngest child is 3. Realistically I can't leave the UK until I'm 60 due to my family commitments here, and by then I might not want to leave the UK

It's always been my dream to live near a tropical beach for 6 months of the year when I retire and come back to the UK for the spring and summer. Hopefully health and finances will allow that to happen, but it's still a long way off. In the meantime, I'll just have to go as often as I can and visit all the wonderful places everyone has mentioned.....life isn't so bad really

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information