Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    bruneicop

We have had some people try to contact the Brit embassy but they cannot give us any facts as it would breach the "data protection act"
    If a Brit has problems abroad,the last place I would suggest to go is the BRITISH EMBASSY.. Others may disagree.
    Thanks for the pledge.. If you want to make any pledge count please join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philip...eams1/messages

where he has a poll operating..Its really just a token of support to indicate if we can move forward or not.
    Cheers,
    fred.

Quote Originally Posted by bruneicop View Post

Does the UK, press understand what is going on? Where is his home town, can we write to his local papers get them on the case as well?
    He's from Swindon...There was some local press coverage, which you can find on the net.
    Another Brit David Scott, who found himself briefly in Jail & then on the run on Adultery charges, was from Swindon too (why are they all from Swindon?)...He had quite a lot of help from his MP of the time, Anne Snellgrove, there was a fair bit of local TV coverage. She helped him secure some type of temporary visa, for his gf & child...Though obviously they weren't still in jail.
    David Scott made some noise about Kevin Taylors plight, as he is/was a member here, but it seems to have gone quiet?
    I think maybe we need to contact the local BBC, so people don't forget him.

Well done Fred for getting the ball rolling. ...things sound terrible for them.

Thanks Sim..
    Need help though!!
    mails to whoever!!
    Getting a bit stressful to be honest...Im not used to all this work!!
    Think I need a brandy!

Regarding Charlene herself,wasnt her first husband the american doctor?I think unless I am very much mistaken she had dual-nationality Her dad works abroad and is quite well off,I have sent an e-mail off to someone for a little info but they are taking their time getting back to me.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Regarding Charlene herself,wasnt her first husband the american doctor?I think unless I am very much mistaken she had dual-nationality Her dad works abroad and is quite well off,I have sent an e-mail off to someone for a little info but they are taking their time getting back to me.
    Keep sending them Tawi..
    Eventually you will hit pay dirt!!

A friend passed me his mobile tonight in a bar after I told him the story..It was a Filipino fella asking about the Taylors details..
    Seems this fella is a Government big wig..
    Tuesday he said..
    Lets see.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Thanks Sim..
    Need help though!!
    mails to whoever!!
    Getting a bit stressful to be honest...Im not used to all this work!!
    Think I need a brandy!
    I'm working on an e-mail to my local BBC TV station, which covers Swindon...Will send it off this weekend.

how bad is mr taylors health

maybe trying to get some help and advice in this country first and then trying to get a recommended lawyer in the philipines to help out, before we start spending any cash.

there must be organizations which can help considering his bad health
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Fred, here is a link to Charlene's Blog...... you may have seen it.

http://taylorsqualifiedworkers.blogspot.com/

There does seem to be a lot of support on a forum based in Cebu...
    Still scary stuff indeed.

Have contacted:-
    BBC Points West
    ITV West Country Tonight
    + local Swindon/Wiltshire papers

Better go national next.

Well done Sim..
    I love the law of averages..
    The more people that know..the better chance something might occur!
    All we need is ONE sympathetic millionaire and we can get them out with a single bribe!! Cut through all that red tape!!
    Joke lang!

Had a reporter from local ITV call me this morning...He may want to come & speak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Had a reporter from local ITV call me this morning...He may want to come & speak to me.
    well done sim, you might as well kill 2 birds with one stone, and tell him about how unjust it is for a Brit to bring their wife to the Uk compared to a European
    we get to see you on tv , don't over do the make up
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Sim..Keep us informed and if you need more info just ask.. Although,our info is still rather limited !!
    well done mate!!
    If he does come round Keep her diary open on your computer and get him to read Kevins letters etc..

A new Yahoo group purely devoted to helping Kevin and Charlene has been set up here as the amount of responses were simply flooding the other groups! The new consolidated group..

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Help_Kevin_Taylor

You can join easily and instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Sim..Keep us informed and if you need more info just ask.. Although,our info is still rather limited !!
    well done mate!!
    If he does come round Keep her diary open on your computer and get him to read Kevins letters etc..

I wrote a longish email, with links to her blog (Kevins letters) Charlenes original thread on here & this thread that you started...I think they are trying to contact his parents in Swindon?

I got a feeling they dont want to be contacted Sim..Got a Facebook message from his brother saying they have been bled dry..I assume he means by Filipino lawyers..

Just found this...I also contacted them.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/n...n_Philippines/

Looks like we've made a small dent mate..

Keep fighting for Kevin, imprisoned without trial in Philippines
    11:20am Tuesday 1st February 2011

Print
    Email
    Comments(1)

THE mother of a man who has been imprisoned without trial in the Philippines for almost two years has spoken of her heartbreak.

Marie Taylor’s comments come as members of the Cebu BritClub, an online group for Brits in the Philippines, launched an online campaign to try and help free 45-year-old Kevin Taylor.

Mrs Taylor, of Stratton, said the father-of-three had been forced to endure horrific conditions since he was thrown in the San Mateo Municipal Jail, in Rizal, in May 2009.

She added that his health was starting to deterioate including failing eyesight.

“Kevin has to sleep on the floor on a piece of cardboard because there is no bed. It is demoralising,” said the 67-year-old, who is married to Gerald, 70.

“If a Filipino was arrested here he would be treated humanely. Over there they do not treat prisoners like they do a dog.

“We phone him once a week and he says he stinks because he is not able to wash or change his clothes and he is very, very low. It is not a happy situation.”

Kevin and his partner Charlene Tambago were arrested for offences relating to illegal recruitment but since their arrest almost two years ago the pair still have not gone to trial with hearing being repeatedly deferred.

“There has been a hearing every month for the past two years,” said Mrs Taylor.

“There was one last week but it was deferred. Last time the complainants didn’t turn up, so it was postponed again. Another hearing is due on Thursday or Friday this week.”

And she fears if her son’s case goes to trial and he is sentenced, the time he has already spent in jail will not count and he will have to start his sentence from scratch enduring even more years of hardship.

“We have had no help from anyone. We have had one letter from our MP Justin Tomlinson when he first came into office saying he would do what he could but we have not heard a thing from him. I am disappointed,” she said.

However, she said that the group Prisoners Abroad has been fantastic and goes to see him as often as possible.

The latest offer of help has come in the shape of Harry Plant, of Durham, who is a member of the Cebu BritClub.

He became aware of Kevin’s plight earlier this month and has posted messages on the club’s online forum asking for more information and trying to rally up the troops to help - whether that is by helping with legal represention, food, money, clothes or medical supplies.

“It has snowballed over the last few days and I felt we should contact the local paper the Swindon Advertiser to see what you know,” said Harry.

“Let’s find out whether our proposed involvement would be welcome or advisable.”

The Free Kevin Taylor campaign is now online. To find out more log on to http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Help_Kevin_Taylor/

All down to you Fred you kicked it all off.

I might have kicked the ball Sim but a couple of talented players are off and running with it!!
    Your one of them!! Appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Fred.

Harry Plant has a house in cebu went to his house blessing in 08 he is tenacious but in the UK at the moment
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

That's a lotta money for a lawyer! I can't afford to send anything but I'll help spread the word.

Well Done Fred

Joined the group on Yahoo & Made a pledge as its least I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterUK View Post
    Well Done Fred

Joined the group on Yahoo & Made a pledge as its least I can do.
    They will appreciate the support Pete..
    They are aware of the support as one of our members is in contact with his parents.

Dontpushme
    That's a lotta money for a lawyer! I can't afford to send anything but I'll help spread the word.
    That is probably worth more than money.. Cheers.

quick update..

One of the members of the yahoo group.. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...aylor/messages
    went and visited Kev and Charlene!
    Here`s what he discovered..

So after following the news about Kevin since about 2 weeks back I decided there was enough sitting on our hands being done and did muster the courage to go pay him a visit.
    I say muster the courage because I could have very well ended up detained myself, or that was on my mind anyway.

So, arrived in Manila just before noon and the 1 st challenge had been to find a taxi willing to go all the way to San mateo, but I think good karma allowed me to get a taxi with a guy who knew where the jail was and was willing to wait for me whilst I did chat with Kevin and Charlene.

So we pick-up some burgers and jollibee chicken as I recall Charlene writing that it's kevin's choice of outside food (would be mine too if I was detained)

We then reach the jail and I'm sceptical as it looks nothing like a jail (I was expecting something like we see in the movies) dang, it even has karenderia at the front and signs for iron works all over the gate.

Anyhow, I walk over to the gate and the wardens welcome me inside, the feeling is not of penitential mood but much more relax, inmates already shouting kevin's name by then as they all have view on the gate.

The wardens take my ID and cellphone and ask me to sign the blotter.
    No search, no patting down, no metal detectors, it's now confirmed, I have the face of a saint ;-)

I now enter the central court where many inmates are having their visitors, all eyes on me of course.
    Again, the feeling is not as I'd have imagined being in a jail, many wives are there to visit (some husbands too, there are 22 females and 196 males there) kids playing around, everyone eating as it's lunchtime.

- Kevin's condition:
    First time I met him so it's not easy to tell, but from the few pictures of him online it's obvious he lost weight, he said he actually went down to 62kg in the 1st year, but is now 70kg.
    It's confirmed that he lost 1 eye from diabetes and the 2nd one looks kinda veiled with White glaze.
    He never see a doc although he did see the jail nurse occasionally.
    He does look weak and somewhat much older than his real age.
    His spirit seems quite okay but might have to do with getting a 1st visit by a foreigner in nearly 2 years, also my visit allowed him to see Charlene, it's obvious those two are dearly in love!

-Charlene's condition:
    She was limping heavily when we went up to the lady's visitor bench, she later told both me and Kevin that she was made to do 200 crunches by the guards, reason being that "someone" sent a complaint to the head warden and this was her punishment, Kevin did feel very upset about this obviously, they also mentioned that she gets harassed a lot and receive suggestive Love letters from other inmates and constantly subjected to "words" that Kevin doesn't understand.
    She does also suffer from diabetes and needs insulin on a daily bases.

- the kids and Charlene's family:
    Kids are SAFE!!!
    They have been split to several members of the family, both of Kevin's biological children are with Charlene's sister, children of Charlene are with her previous in-laws,
    Now this is where it gets weird, Charlene's sister does not visit anymore, Charlene's family have now said they don't want anything to do with criminals,
    The eldest of Charlene's daughter used to visit but it was motivated by money, every-time Kevin's dad would send cash this daughter would do the groceries for say 1500 php and keep the 500 change, sad way to treat a mother right?
    Their last visit from the daughter was January 2, last visit from the sister: a year ago!
    (anyone in contact with the sister, please just observe status quo/silence, they aren't in speaking terms but she still has Kevin's 2 kids, Kevin said they will sort things out when they get released, for now it's the best situation one could expect, better than adoption!)

-Their needs:
    Boredom is the main enemy, bibles are in Tagalog and the only English book available is Harry Potter, Kevin read that 10 times already.So,
    1) BOOKS: loads of them!
    2) Clothes: shorts, underwears, and Yellow colour T-Shirts only, they are only allowed bright yellow tops.(XL and L sizes)
    3) Razors, shaving foam, soap, toothpaste, shampoo....all the stuff needed to keep clean on a daily basis
    4) ideally Kevin would need to see a doctor, cost for this (doc+transport) has been placed at 3000Php
    5) Charlene did mention that Kevin could use ointment named Caladril as he sleeps on plywood in a nasty cell and gets rashes.

those are basic stuff that would be highly appreciated by both of them.

from my side i did ask if giving him a piece of foam for bedding would be fine and he said yes, they will just have to bribe a guard to smuggle it in.

the food is appalling as you can imagine but for those who can afford their own groceries they are actually entitled to cook their own food, so the way it works there is that when Kevin's dad send money they cook and feed selected inmates, then they get food from those inmates, on a rotation basis if you like, depending on who's got money.

Charlene mentioned Prisoners abroad, but contrary to what i thought they don't actually go visit there in person, they just send cash through LBC. (money donations can be given to them that way, but will have to be a trickle as Kevin said that the money has to be counted by the wardens and within 5 minutes the whole jail knows how much he has with him, with loans and "fees" being submitted to him non-stop)

last September 20th the other staff got out of jail, on bail, when i questioned the fact that their offense is non bailable Kevin said the staff did forward a request to the judge and it was granted.

that's about it really.

from my side i will be planning another visit to Kevin next week, possibly Thursday, and that will be my last trip to see him (i hope) as I'm not coming back to Philippines for the next year or so.

i was one of the first to pledge money to help him, then when i saw that there was a lot of talk but no action i went ahead and did it, without drumming it up beforehand.

i could have never been cheeky enough to say that i would go if peoples paid my flight, 2 night hotel expenses and bribe money like some have done on here, i think that's sick to make those type of offer, either you help or you don't, but disguising help to Kevin and Charlene as a "free weekend in manila all expenses paid" is just disgusting.

i couldn't care less if they are guilty of the crime, my motivation was fueled by empathy, i just got a daughter 2 weeks ago and trying to put myself in Kevin's shoes for a moment just riped me apart, anyone with the slightest amount of empathy would have done just like i did today.

Now, i'm not a rich man, if i was i would have helped more, so if anyone who did pledge a few weeks back or would like to contribute to this week and next week's expenses all are welcome.

if you don't want or can't send money, you can send a book, a pair of slippers, even just 1 piece of razor or soap.

i know we can get things collected somewhere here in Cebu and i'll gladly bring those to Kevin.

my expenses for today were:
    - 1206 Php for the taxi fare (receipt shows 1006 but had to add 200 for the driver to agree going that far and wait at the jail, which seems fair enough)
    - 585 Php for the food

i expect much of the same for next week, so donations will be appreciated, thanks

David
    (Kevin did see the funny side about the Frenchman helping out the Englishman, we all know the cross-channel poking is just friendly banter, we're all brothers, especially in hard time!)

A message from Kevs Dad..

HELLO DAVID WELL THATS THE BEST NEWS WE HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 20 MONTHS THANK YOU FOR THIS VISIT FROM A COMPLETE STRANGER THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND GOODWILL
    GERALD

Good Stuff Chaps sorry been so busy recently will try and join up the Yahoo groups then see what I can help do from there.

maybe a balikbayan Box could be sent over from Flilip Uk contents collected and sent over? I know it will take a while to collect and send but may help those who cant contribute much money wise?

Have a facebook and twitter page been created yet? the more publicty the better as you say.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Oh BTW.. David is making one more visit to San Mateo on Thursday before leaving the R.P..
    Any donations can be sent by Western Union to David Miras
    collected at the Ayala Mall branch of Cebu City or by skype credit
    (Cash would be better as he can get them what they need whilst in Manila)
    check http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...aylor/messages for more details.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information