Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Facebook Newbie (Moderated Posts) mandy's Avatar

Smile Newbie

Hi i'm Mandy from the Uk...and it looks like I'm gonna be needing alot of help from you guys in the near future..

Hi Mandy, welcome to the forum
    Tell us more...

Quote Originally Posted by mandy View Post
    Hi i'm Mandy from the Uk...and it looks like I'm gonna be needing alot of help from you guys in the near future..
    Mandy ... ; my daughter-in-law is also called Mandy!

Hi Terpe....I'm currently in a long distance relationship with the sweetest guy from the Philippines..it started out as friendship on fb back in May 2010..and by August our feelings had grown for each other so much so that I ended the relationship i was in..as we admitted the feelings we had for each other and moved on to being in a relationship together,now he wants to come to the UK to visit me,we have no idea where to start with visa's and which ones to apply for..also he has a sister who already lives here and he will be asking for her advice as what to do..all the relationships on here seem to be guys from the UK with girls from the Philippines..so i'm feeling a bit lost lol..

Hello Arthur..your daughter in law has a great name heheheeee

Hi Mandy..Wecome BTW..
    Doesn't sound like you have met him yet..
    Tell him you want to meet him there in the R.P first in person before worrying about his UK visit visas and stuff!!
    See what his reaction is..

Hahaha...I appreciate what your saying Fred,and he's said i'm always welcome to visit and meet his family and friends,but there is no way I would travel out there to meet up for the first time,do you understand what I mean,and my friends and family wouldn't allow it either...he defo has to come here first..

Trusted Member
    I think it will make it difficult for him to get a visa if you haven't even met in person, and what about meeting his family ?

Surely you would want to do this (and learn something about his background and culture) if you're serious about the guy.

Family is VERY important to Filipinos, and they are very proud of their country and people.

If you visit, it's not exactly Afghanistan you know.

Hello Graham...hmmmm yes i understand that family is very important,and he says thats one of the things he loves about me...as my family is very close and important to me also...still...travelling across the world on my own is a very scarey thought..although if its gonna make it difficult for him to come and meet my family,maybe I should reconsider...thanks for your advice

Mandy..
    Glad you appreciate what I was trying to say and Im glad he and his family would be ready to make you welcome sometime in the future.. (plus a chaperone or three, I suspect!!)
    I would have thought it would be pretty tough helping him get any kind of UK visa but Im no expert.. There are however lots of people on this site that will be able to provide better guidance than I....So stick around...
    Cheers,
    Fred.

Mandy... Where does he live in the Philippines??

Thank you Fred...any help would be most appreciated,we didn't plan and wasn't looking for a relationship,but as the months have passed we have become very close,and would just like to meet up and see what happens..also he was married but his ex left over a year ago now,and I also know they cannot get divorced so he would like to get his divorce in the UK if its allowed...

North Greenhills..San Juan city..

Hi Mandy ...You're not the first doing it the other way around, there are a handful, but they don't post here much?

I think you will struggle to get a tourist visa for him, may even be impossible, as you haven't met? They are always a lottery anyway, whoever you are.
    Other women here, have gone to visit boyfriends in the Philippines.

Take time to read up on here & ask lots of questions, then weigh it all up...A trip over there, could be a great adventure.

Its starting to sound like I'm gonna have to be the one to visit him first...thank you everybody for all your advice...

Mandy.. we have some apartment units about 15/20 mins away from there.. If you do decide you wanna visit and need a safe place to stay give me a shout.. (depends on availability of course)
    Fred.

www.apartmentinphilippines.blogspot.com

Oh wow Thank you Fred...I will keep you posted on what we decide to to...and I will defo consider your kind offer...Thank you again

Hi Mandy! Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think it will make it difficult for him to get a visa if you haven't even met in person, and what about meeting his family?
    I agree. When I applied for a tourist visa to visit my boyfriend in the UK, I got both an email and a phone call from the Border Agency verifying that I had met him in person and that I could prove it. After I sent them pictures of us fishing together in Arkansas and him pushing my wheelchair in the Philippines, it only took them 12 minutes to stamp and mail my passport back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Mandy..
    Glad you appreciate what I was trying to say and Im glad he and his family would be ready to make you welcome sometime in the future.. (plus a chaperone or three, I suspect!!)
    Haha! I don't know if Filipinos get chaperoned. Filipinas do, but there's a double standard that's actually in Mandy's favour.

Respected Member
    Hi Mandy, welcome to the forums! There are lots of really nice and helpful people here so im sure you will get the advice and help you wanted.

Phils isnt such a scary place to visit, I felt very safe there, yes i know im a guy, but I think if you take sensible precautions like any holiday and first date you would be ok!

Tourist visa's are hard to get i believe, they are worried about overstayers and want lots of evidence on why the applicant would return to the Philippines.

Another option could be to fly your Bf to a country that he doesnt require a visa and meet part way. But if your serious for each other i think Grahams advice about meeting the family is the best.
    good luck whatever you decide hope you keep us posted with your progress!
    Also i would advise Everyone that there are very professional scammers in the Philippines that can be very convincing. I would advise everyone in a LDR to read the thread "gone silent"

Hello Mandy welcome to the forum
    one way that your boyfriend might get a visit visa is that he applies for a visitors visa to see his sister as she lives over here and if he gets it and he is here you can both then meet and then if all goes well you could then go over and visit him and his family.
    As life is to live so love is to give

hell0 Mandy .. welc0me ...

Mandy,
    I can see you have a sound thinking on this. Well done.
    We can provide all the help needed for your B/F to apply his visa.

I notice that he has a sister here in UK, so I guess his visa application would be based on that.
    Brother and sister connection for visitor visa is generally OK, but still depends on some key issues.
    Mandy, is his sister known to you?
    Better to work together on this one.
    Is the sister married to UK national? Does his sister work? What type of accommodation
    does she have?
    Could she support her brother during his stay?

Does your B/F have employment in Phils? Does he own any property?
    The important issue is to convince the ECO that he has strong enough ties to Philipppines to be sure he will return on time.

Anyway, suggest you and your B/F and his sister consider these issue and make a plan for his visit.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and support,I think applying for a visa to visit his sister is a really good idea,and yes i have been in contact with her,but only by letter,she lives on an American base in Cambs with her husband who is in the American Airforce,and she teaches there,also my bf does have his own property and his own business,in fact he has two if you include his hobby as a breeder,plus other property that was left to his family by his father who recently passed away and is to be sold...I don't really want to go into his private life in too much detail without his permission,but his family is quite well known in the Philippines...I will talk to him later and see what he thinks to the advice you all have given me...thanks again to you all,and I hope we can sort something out...Bless you all...Mandy

Mandy, from your latest information I would suggest going ahead with visa to visit his sister is the optimum solution all round.

Hi Mandy. Welcome to the Forum.
    Good luck in what ever you decide but a trip for you to Phils is a great adventure
    I am sure you would enjoy it very much

I would love to come and visit the Philippines..from what my bf has told me it sounds like a very beautiful and friendly place...and he has assured me I will be made to feel very welcome...and thank you Terpe i also agree with you..and hi Alan

hi mandy. welcome.. Its great to find western ladies in relationship with a pinoy. It's rare

Hi Mindanao well it looks like I'm going to the Philippines...my baby wants me there... will keep you all posted coz I'm not going yet...got lots to sort out with work n stuff

Hi Mandy

Welcome to the Forum. I'm a female Brit member too, living in Cambridgeshire not far from the American Base that you have mentioned; in fact I travel past it every day, what a small world!

I can appreciate that you feel apprehensive about travelling to the Philippines on your own for a first date. I've actually been there four times and always taken someone with me as I've never felt safe enough to make the trip alone. (Happy to go to Hong Kong on my own as it's a lot safer). The Filipino people are a friendly and lovely nation who are always smiling but please do remember that the Philippines is a third world country with it's associated risks which are higher for a female European on her own.

Lancashire Lad has suggested that you could both meet part way and I think that's a sound idea but your boyfriend coming here to the UK is even better.

Oops ..... just noticed you are now intending to go to the Philippines, best of luck, I hope that you both fulfill each others expectations and have a very happy future together

Trusted Member
    Actually Hong Kong would probably be an ideal place to meet, if the boyfriend can't get a UK visa.

Usually much easier for Filipinos to enter Hong Kong, and it's a great (and safe) place for a Western lady to visit....lots of shops !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information