Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

depys that you did not know you had

another moan coming , the last few days i have had 2 phone calls saying i owe tesco credit card, the last bill i had from them was dec 07 they say, so why is it now i owe this, the story is dec 07 i paid what was the bill and then every month the statement came nil owed, may 08 i moved from that house but kept the same phone number and transfered all my mail for 1 year, i went round to the old house to colect the mail if there was any for the next few months as well, i have not the credit card now and i did call to cancell too, cannot remember when though,so sincer dec07 till now dec10 no calls at all then now i owe just over £5, i asked how can it be and they said call this number and they will explain, but i refused to call and told them so, i am not calling a 0845 number for something that has taken 3 years , any thoughts on this, i hate the thought of crap calls saying i owe

Steve,
    As far as I know, if you cancelled the card nothing was owed. The card cannot be cancelled if a debt remains.
    On the other hand, better to sort it out one way or the other.
    Debts can grow with all sorts of charges if not sorted. Although £5 seems so small, it can impact on your credit rating.
    Sometimes I can be a worrier. Me, I would phone or call and put an end to it.

Trusted Member
    I can sympathise Steve, no matter how small an amount it is. You need a statement in writing giving details of what they claim you owe. I wonder if it is not in fact Tescos but some debt collectiing agency to which they have sold on debts. Maybe you could enquire at the "Help" desk in your nearest store where they might have a freephone.
    I had a Debenhams card and cancelled it over a year ago. Santander have started sending monthly statements telling me I'm in credit (about £3.60). My local store let me use their freephone and I was given an address to claim a cheque for what they owe me. Of course they haven't done this. It's the principle, not the money. Why should they get away with it ? Tempting to threaten legal action and await their response - probably nothing ...again !

Banned
    wrong wording Sorry! :-)

thanks lads and just looked at my spelling again , lucky you all know what i ment to ask, and Alan get steve to write that letter too

Banned
    Steve It could be card protection insurance. I remember having to opt out when I first got the card in question. It was in the 'small print' and of course, they will never point it out to you, its a major money maker

i dont take out any insurance on cards but whats bugging me is why no contact after dec07, thats when i last paid they say, till now when i was still at the old address till may 08 and had all my post redirected for 1 year

Thread Information