Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Manila_Paul View Post
    How that works with the visa situation, I don't know.
    i dont think it makes much difference at all, they would still need a visa to come here
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    Hong Kong is a great place to live with family too.

Yeah but that is the sensible ones! My point was more about the guys who are daft enough to send money and end up being scammed. You are unlikely to get into that position if you're in the UK. If you're doing online dating in the UK and some lady asks for money early in the relationship, alarm bells would/should start to ring but all this seems to go out the window with some guys conversing with girls in the Philippines!
    TBF, I think British women are more subtle, calculating and less direct and are prepared to wait until they've got you firmly in their claws before playing the money card. I do agree though that some guys can let their guard down somewhat when it comes to Filipina women.

Yeah, that is a fair point but there are still so many hassles in comparison.

The main point remains: why put yourself through it all when there are Pinays everywhere? Places where there is no interfering family, where they are in employment and have already shown the ability to adjust to a foreign culture, that are easier and safer to visit, where it will be easier to obtain a spouse/fiance visa, where the scammers are bound to fewer and further between etc etc?
    Valid point although I reckon most guys automatically think of the Philippines when it comes to Pinays which is logical I know I did!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i dont think it makes much difference at all, they would still need a visa to come here
    Yes, they would need a visa to work but Hong Kong immigration law is quite strict. The employer usually has to show they've tried and not been able to recruit a Hong Kong native or prove that the worker has some sort of special skill. Which doesn't really apply to bar and shop work. And unemployment is still relatively high in HK. I would guess a lot of it is cash in hand and off the books and such workers are easier to recruit among the (possibly terminated) domestic helpers already in HK.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Valid point although I reckon most guys automatically think of the Philippines when it comes to Pinays which is logical I know I did!
    Yeah, exactly. All I was basically saying to the original poster was: don't forget the OFWs. There are Filipina gems in every corner of the globe! It doesn't have to be the Philippines or nothing.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Hong Kong is a great place to live with family too.

Obviously know Victoria Harbour but where is the latter?

Banned
    So we have established OFW's are the best bet. You state that they get a Sunday off every blue moon. All the guys require now is the 20 years to court them. Goodness me why is life through the eyes of a twenty something western male so simplistic. If only it was. No offence intended ok.

All the guys require now is the 20 years to court them
    Different rules mate,OFW's (even indonesian muslims)were usually a bit more liberated once away from the maria clara ideals of Pinas Pinays working overseas are a little more open from those living under the ever watchful eye of parents or older siblings,thats a fact whether they are working in Honkers singapore the middle-east or even here in the UK,they are a lot more approachable,in pinas local reputation means a lot,once no ones watching things can often change.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Graham,I once had an indonesian girlfriend I met at the exact spot your top pic is taken,TST near the clock,the overhead walkway looking over to the islandThat place is wall to wall pinays on a sunday though not as many as the tens of thousands who flock to central

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Banned
    Point taken Tawi but, Im sure glad I met my wife where she was born and grew up, i met most of her cousins and all her close family. i wanted to meet them, for sure, what they are and stand for, my wife Jane will be the same. Imagine meeting your future wife in a cafe in Hammersmith, just her, no family to relate to. Just my opinion ok But, im glad we took route, we took.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manila_ Paul
    Obviously know Victoria Harbour but where is the latter?
    The second pic is the beach at Pui O, on Lantau Island
    where we lived...about 300 yards back from where the kids were paddling.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Graham,I once had an indonesian girlfriend I met at the exact spot your top pic is taken,TST near the clock,the overhead walkway looking over to the islandThat place is wall to wall pinays on a sunday though not as many as the tens of thousands who flock to central
    Yep, lots meet in Kowloon Park too, and of course Central on HK Island.

Before I brought the family over from the Phils to live on Lantau, I had an apt. off Nathan Road TST for about a year.
    Was a married man, so had to be a good boy though.

I had an apt. off Nathan Road
    I had one in Wanchai for a while near Southorn basketball courts,I was unmarried and if those walls could speak they would make a kalbo guys hair curl Happy days huh

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Im sure glad I met my wife where she was born and grew up, i met most of her cousins and all her close family. i wanted to meet them, for sure, what they are and stand for
    Likewise ... it's more natural, somehow ... and it makes sense ... !

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    So we have established OFW's are the best bet. You state that they get a Sunday off every blue moon. All the guys require now is the 20 years to court them. Goodness me why is life through the eyes of a twenty something western male so simplistic. If only it was. No offence intended ok.
    None taken but you really need to read what I've said properly. I don't state anywhere that they get a 'Sunday off every blue moon'. I said they get every Sunday off full stop (and the 13 public holidays). Or to be more accurate, they must get a 24 hour uninterrupted break every week *by law*. Nearly always Sunday but some get Saturday instead (which is unpopular for obvious reasons!)

That doesn't mean they can *only* go out on that day off though and they have to work non-stop the rest of the time! Some very harsh Chinese families may keep them working late in the evening but this isn't typical. This is one major downside though. They work hard long hours but then that isn't really any different to a large percentage of the working women in the Philippines. And either way, we're talking about Long Distance Relationships here and not a traditional courting arrangement. In my view, it is no a brainer if you're starting out. You can meet the family (much ) later on, as the relationship progresses, if you want. Which I would have thought was the traditional courting arrangement anyway. You get to know the girl first and *then* meet her family. At least you have that option with dating OFWs. In PH, the vast majority already live with and are very close to their families, so you usually have little choice in the matter.

This is not to knock anyone who has gone the Philippines route and it has worked - it is advice for those considering dating a Filipina for the first time and especially for those who've already had hassle in the Philippines and think this it is the only option. There is nothing simplistic about this. I'm talking from personal experience dating Filipinas in Hong Kong. For sure, if you live and work there it is easier but if you're planning a LDR and are only going to meet for a short time in person before marrying anyway, finding someone in HK, Singapore, or wherever, is a far better bet than the Philippines.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    The second pic is the beach at Pui O, on Lantau Island
    where we lived...about 300 yards back from where the kids were paddling.
    Very nice. I lived on Lamma when I was in HK. A pain in the **** to commute from but was made up for the by the beautiful beaches nearby.

Banned
    Hi corjoh,

You could also cool things down and not send any money for six months and see if she is still interested then.

Take time with this lady, I can see a lot of red flags especially with her numerous online activities.

Be very careful

Trusted Member
    Very nice. I lived on Lamma when I was in HK. A pain in the **** to commute from but was made up for the by the beautiful beaches nearby.
    Oh yes, Lamma is nice too.

Used to take me a couple of hours to get to work from my place, but well worth it.

I loved Hong Kong, and to me it really had everything. Had I been single I'd still be there now, but the kids needed to go to school in the UK, so that was our next move.

finding someone in HK, Singapore, or wherever, is a far better bet than the Philippines.
    if you live in the uk, i cant see what the difference will be, maybe not being able to get your end away on the first date and having to take the family out instead

meeting the wifes family for the first time and showing your intention towards your intended maybe old fashioned, i remember it well...we took my mother inlaw to jerrys grill and she had the squid and she said we looked good together
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    if you live in the uk, i cant see what the difference will be, maybe not being able to get your end away on the first date and having to take the family out instead
    Usually not much chance of that in HK for a while either! I remember going on a first date in HK and moving in for a peck on the cheek at the end. When I opened my eyes she was halfway down the road waving goodbye! Very sweet though.

I think the main benefit of somewhere like HK or Singapore is, is that if you're planning to marry and go back to the UK, the OFWs have already shown ability to settle well in a foreign country. In fact, they've already shown ability to live and look after a family in a foreign country. So if you're planning to start a family, this is another plus point. Everything can be right with a girl in the Philippines but this could let you down. It doesn't mean they will *definitely* settle in the UK, and girls from the Philippines definitely won't, but you give yourself a very good chance with OFWs.

Really, it just the case of dating a Filipina but without the many hassles of the Philippines itself. Hell, why do you think so many Filipinas are so keen to go to places like Hong Kong in the first place? HK and Singapore are two of the safest cities in the world and being ex-British colonies, you'll feel very at home. Plus, you get a 6 month tourist visa on entry in HK. None of this 21 days business and then renewing. There is no reason why you can't meet the family later on. Or you can even take some of them over on holiday for a week or two. It is possible given you'll save yourself money on flights to HK instead of the Philippines anyway. This would also make you look really good in the eyes family who might not have seen their daughter for a while. Filipinos get 14 days in HK without needing a visa.

By the way, I freely admit I'm batting for the OFWs here because they deserve a shot at happiness and most don't even really get that shot. There are virtually no Filipino guys around and the local guys usually aren't interested. They've got a strong sense of duty because they're often the eldest in the family and are sending nearly all their money back home to send their younger brothers and sisters through school etc. You'd find it very hard to go wrong with them, in my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information