Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Saint Andrew's Day

Today ... November 30 ... the world over, "Jocks" [traditionally] commemorate their patron saint.

Respected Member
    Happy St. Andrews day Arthur and any other Scot's on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Happy St. Andrews day Arthur and any other Scot's on the forum
    Thanks, Ian ... you know, I'm ashamed to admit it was more than halfway through the afternoon before the significance of the date dawned on me!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Thanks, Ian ... you know, I'm ashamed to admit it was more than halfway through the afternoon before the significance of the date dawned on me!
    The sad thing about the UK today is that none of us (Scots, English or Welsh) are encouraged to celebrate our national Saint's days. Being patriotic gets frowned upon as being nationalistic or racist, whereas our Irish friends always celebrate in style.
    At least you can still go for it at Hogmanay and Burns Night

this country doesn't have a Winston churchill day, to remind everyone he was a great inspiration to the British people in this countries darkest times (no i dont mean when the power workers went on strike scouser keith ...)
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

some of the schools here in edinburgh where going to be closed for st andrews day, but with the snow all schools here have been closed.

"Background to the St. Andrew's Day Bank Holiday

The Scottish Government passed the St Andrew's Day Holiday (Scotland) Bill on the Eve of St. Andrew's Day in 2006 following much debate about whether St. Andrew's day should be made a national holiday.

In what was seen a compromise solution the Bill added a bank holiday on 30th November or the Monday after, if St. Andrew's Day falls on a weekend, but employers are not obliged to give their employees time off. They can choose to mark the St Andrew's Day or not."
    content from http://www.edinburghguide.com/events/standrewsday

not really much of a bank holiday if they can choose to have the day off or not as i am sure most employers will not bother having it as a bank holiday.

Thread Information