Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

English Language Test

From 29th Nov applicants for settlement visas need to pass an English Language Test. The VFS website doesnt seem to have much details about this. Can anyone tell me :-

1. Does the test have to be passed BEFORE the application for settlement is made?
    2. Is the test oral or oral and written?
    3. The VFS website links to another website Hopkind Int'l Partners Inc - this seems to be the exclusive tester but on their website there are a number of different tests and I could find no mention of tests for UK visas
    4. Any idea of the cost of the test?

Any other info would be useful.

Cheers
    Alfie

Alfie

Here's a post I made recently:-

You can play with a practice test here:-
    http://www.pearsonpte.com/PTEAcademi...m=practicetest

From the UKBA website:-

"In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening)
    at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which
    is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at
    level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills."

Guidance for Applicants on English Language Requirements is here:-
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/...angrequirement
    This is a very interesting FAQ document, well worth the few minutes of reading to both new visa applicants and UK based FLR and ILR applicants.

Wikipedia has a very good description of the different levels here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_..._for_Languages

Hope this helps

Here's the link for the full thread:-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....t-English-Test

Here is another useful page all about the English Test - I would suggest to take the test and/or course in the Philippines wherever practicable as it costs less than taking it in the UK.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/se...language-life/

Hi Alfie,

I just took the IELTS exam through the British Council here in the Philippines. It is located in Emerald Ave. Ortigas. They have a website and you can call them to inquire. I took my exam last October 30, 2010. The exams has 4 parts: first is the speaking test which is done prior to the exam date or after. Second, they have the written exam which comprises of Listening, Reading and Writing skills.

Hope this helps. Don't worry too much the passing band for a spouse is 4 which is equivalent to A1. I got a 7 band score so you should be okay. I did not go to a review center, just studied on my own.

Goodluck to you!

Mickaela, can i ask how long this course was for and what was the cost?
    Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by posthome View Post
    Hi, We are authorised by the UKBA to offer you the A1 test on demand in our centre in Cebu City. The cost is 7960 Pesos. We also offer a 5 day review course for 12,500 Pesos following which you can take the test for only 3980 Pesos.

Give us a call on blah blah blah for help or just a chat.

Theodolite Training Group UK Incorporated 'The new British English language school'
    Hello posthome,
    Just want to ask, is it necessary to take the review course if the one who'll take the test is a college graduate? It's just that the fee for the course is expensive enough for a 5 day. And if you can read through this site, not all foreign husbands are rich. They still have to save for the visa fee. Or do you have any reading materials (for sale) so they can just do their review at home? Hope you understand what i mean.
    Thank you.

Banned
    Hi, We are authorised by the UKBA to offer you the A1 test on demand in our centre in Cebu City. The cost is 7960 Pesos. We also offer a 5 day review course for 12,500 Pesos following which you can take the test for only 3980 Pesos.

Give us a call on blah bla blah for help or just a chat.

Theodolite Training Group UK Incorporated 'The new British English language school'
    I'd be wary of this outfit - probably a bunch of con artists who if they are a "UK" operation can no longer operate here due to the crackdown on bogus colleges

posthome;264735]Hi, We are authorised by the UKBA to offer you the A1 test on demand in our centre in Cebu City. The cost is 7960 Pesos. We also offer a 5 day review course for 12,500 Pesos following which you can take the test for only 3980 Pesos.

Give us a call on blah blah blah for help or just a chat.

Please take the time to post in the introduction section of this forum and perhaps participate in other threads before posting your adverts to our members AFTER ASKING PERMISSION FROM ADMIN!!!
    As far as I am concerned your posts so far although on topic can only be described as spam and that is the reason they have been deleted..

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josieyam65 View Post
    Hello posthome,
    Just want to ask, is it necessary to take the review course if the one who'll take the test is a college graduate? It's just that the fee for the course is expensive enough for a 5 day. And if you can read through this site, not all foreign husbands are rich. They still have to save for the visa fee. Or do you have any reading materials (for sale) so they can just do their review at home? Hope you understand what i mean.
    Thank you.
    Hi, Inspite of what you may read elsewhere, we are not a bunch of 'con artists' and have been training students in a number of subject areas in the UK for over 20 years. I happen to have moved to the Philippines with my asawa and decided to help those guys who would like to learn English without having to pay a fortune in fees, or get 'ripped off' by scam schools who offer no more than an attendance certificate.

As far as your own comment is concerned, I would suggest, looking at your posting, that you would have little difficulty in achieving at least an A1 grade. The test is not difficult, but takes a little care and thought in answering the questions.

Hope this helps

Peter

Hi, I apologise if you thought that my posts were spam as I was only replying to threads already started by your members. It would appear that there is a lot of confusion about the new A1 test and I was trying to offer some advice.

In this situation it would perhaps be better if I were to leave the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I'd be wary of this outfit - probably a bunch of con artists who if they are a "UK" operation can no longer operate here due to the crackdown on bogus colleges
    Please be very careful about what you say about our college. We have been training students in the UK for over 20 years and continue to do so. We have opened an English language school here in the Philippines because my asawa is a Filipino and we now live here for most of the year.

We are certainly authorised by the UK Border Agency to offer the A1 test after very rigorous evaluation of our qualifications and experience.

You are always very welcome to contact LCCI, EDI, or the UK Border Agency for confirmation of our accreditation, and we are also registered as a UK Learning Provider.

I take great offence at the suggestions you have made.

Posthome..

We welcome and value your advice and comments here on this forum just as long as it is free to the members requiring it..
    The advice that you were offering before came as a service with a telephone number and a price..
    Perhaps if you stick around and get to know the people on this forum for a month or two you may have a few wishing to contact you directly via email or PM (Private message).. Unfortunately as you still have newbie and restricted access,the PM system is unavailable to you until your post count is up..
    Hope you understand my position..

Cheers,
    Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Posthome..

We welcome and value your advice and comments here on this forum just as long as it is free to the members requiring it..
    The advice that you were offering before came as a service with a telephone number and a price..
    Perhaps if you stick around and get to know the people on this forum for a month or two you may have a few wishing to contact you directly via email or PM (Private message).. Unfortunately as you still have newbie and restricted access,the PM system is unavailable to you until your post count is up..
    Hope you understand my position..

Cheers,
    Fred.
    The advice being offered was free, and my website is used by hundreds of people asking for advice for which I never charge a fee. The prices quoted are for the courses we run and the test fee, which is entirely different from offering advice.

my asawa is a Filipino ...
    ... as are the asawas of more than ninety percent of our membership [mine included]; in which case, you'll be only too well aware that we've all had to go through "hell and high water" - not to mention the considerable expense involved - in order to bring our chosen, lawfully-wedded partners to the UK.

Consequent upon the introduction of compulsory English Language Testing for non-European spouses, we are naturally going to be on our guard against ANY organisation that might view the new requirement as a business opportunity to capitalise on changes to the System.

Rest assured, that is not implying we doubt your credentials. But throughout the years of its existence, this forum has built-up an enviable track record in guiding literally hundreds of folk towards their goals with the minimum of fuss ... due to expert advice which is freely given at all times.

I believe the A1 Assessment is a very short test (10 mins? corrcted the speaking and listening part is ), and if the applicant can speak and understand basic English, there is no need for any course work , or enrolment in classes.

as its a new test, most people are unsure of what it is, who needs to take it and where it can be taken, etc. thou you are providing a service thats needed by some people on here, your not the only one to provide that service but are the only one to post about your service. there is a fine line btw advertising a service that people need and spamming
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

@joe I agree, this is the first such offer and with the "new" test being in service little over a month it is hard to find info especially for classes in phils. The UKBA site does have a link with addresses in manila!

If "posthomes" thread and link are to be correct then their option to take the course adds another 8000pp to the visa application!
    With the recent increases there and a settlement visa now 54000pp include this English test plus going to VFS from provinces and the collection of all relevant information including dare i say it the exchange rate going against us! we are now close to Ł1000 just to make the application.

My worry is obviously , and if you are correct this is a 10minute test then there is further openings for scams and extortion just to have this requirement...........
    8000pp for 10mins....... pretty good in my book!!

I will be attempting to process Fiancee visa towards end of January so if anyone has any contacts for achieving the English language test requirement in the provinces i would be very grateful for their help.........

sorry the speaking and listening part is 10 mins , but see the sample paper from a EMD course below will give you an idea, and i dont think many filipinas would need to spend money on a course as it is pretty basic. and from the UKBA website, You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills.

http://www.emduk.com/download/A1%20G...%20Booklet.pdf

from UKBA website

What do you need to do?

If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English (see below), you must pass an acceptable English language test with one of our approved test providers.

In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    sorry the speaking and listening part is 10 mins , but see the sample paper below will give you an idea, and i dont think many filipinas would need to spend money on a course as it is pretty basic.

http://www.emduk.com/download/A1%20G...%20Booklet.pdf
    Much Appreciated

no probs
    i think what would help most would be a rough idea of the format of the test, which from the sample paper seems similar to the ILETS test my misses did.

so practising scenarios like that would help

good luck to your g/f

and your right about the scams, i've been told that some places say you need 40hrs tution first

a quick look from VFS site

http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/images/A1level.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    I believe the A1 Assessment is a very short test (10 mins? corrcted the speaking and listening part is ), and if the applicant can speak and understand basic English, there is no need for any course work , or enrolment in classes.

as its a new test, most people are unsure of what it is, who needs to take it and where it can be taken, etc. thou you are providing a service thats needed by some people on here, your not the only one to provide that service but are the only one to post about your service. there is a fine line btw advertising a service that people need and spamming
    Hi

What you say is correct and unfortunately there are people using this new legislation to 'heat up' any discussions. The test is actually in 4 parts, with there still being some uncertainty on the part of the UKBA about which sections are required. The 4 part test takes approximately 3 hours, and as it is an on-line test many of our candidates who are not familiar with computers are encouraged to spend about an hour with one of our teachers showing them how to use the mouse, etc.., so we always suggest that the candidate allows for a 4 hour session.

To date I would say approximately 60% of our candidates require some assistance with the use of computers.

The actual test is relatively straight forward and I would suggest that there is no need for any review course unless the candidate is really unsure of the basic rules of the English language.

Hi

What you say is correct and unfortunately there are people using this new legislation to 'heat up' any discussions. The test is actually in 4 parts, with there still being some uncertainty on the part of the UKBA about which sections are required. The 4 part test takes approximately 3 hours, and as it is an on-line test many of our candidates who are not familiar with computers are encouraged to spend about an hour with one of our teachers showing them how to use the mouse, etc.., so we always suggest that the candidate allows for a 4 hour session.

To date I would say approximately 60% of our candidates require some assistance with the use of computers.

The actual test is relatively straight forward and I would suggest that there is no need for any review course unless the candidate is really unsure of the basic rules of the English language.
    well i'm sure that info will help some people on here ,

well from the ukba website it says

'you will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills'
    (as I would have thought the reading skills will demonstrated in the 'life in the uk' test)

I'm not sure how long this test will survive before someone challenges it in court ( as with the minimum age being 21 for spouse visa's.)

Red face hello..

ahmm..im new into this page..how much does it cost for that english test and where can i take the exam if i am here in manila?..ty..:icon:

@karenKeith firstly Welcome to the Forum

Please read this separate link...

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....807#post265632

Rgds

Banned

Unable to Verify THEODOLITE TRAINING as a Recognised Test Provider

Please be very careful about what you say about our college. We have been training students in the UK for over 20 years and continue to do so. We have opened an English language school here in the Philippines because my asawa is a Filipino and we now live here for most of the year.

We are certainly authorised by the UK Border Agency to offer the A1 test after very rigorous evaluation of our qualifications and experience.

You are always very welcome to contact LCCI, EDI, or the UK Border Agency for confirmation of our accreditation, and we are also registered as a UK Learning Provider.

I take great offence at the suggestions you have made.

I would like to verify the bona-fide of your organisation before my partner takes the A1 test with you.

I have contacted the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) and EDI but have been unable to determine any accreditation for THEODOLITE TRAINING GROUP. I have also contacted the UK Border Agency (UKBA) who can provide no details for you either. I have also consulted the register of UK Learning Providers - UKRLP (by phone and their website) and they have no record of THEODOLITE TRAINING GROUP, either now or historically.

You also claim to be a a recognsed training provider in the UK for 20 years but you simply state that you are situated on the 'south coast', no address is given. Your UK phone number is not a landline but an internet number.

I have also checked with Companies House and there is certainly no company with the name THEODOLITE TRAINING GROUP now, or in the past 20 years. On one website, you claim that THEODOLITE TRAINING GROUP UK is 'incorporated' but it has certainly never been incorporated in the UK.

Please provide contacts at LCCI/EDI/UKBA/UKRLP who can verify your claims.

Howerd

Banned

Concerns About Theodolite Training

I have made enquiries about Theodolite Training Group UK Inc. with uhe UKBA. I am informed they are NOT accredited UKBA training providers.

Banned

Carmen Jones confirms that Theodolite Training Group is NOT Accredited by UKBA

Confirmation received from Carmen Jones of the UKBA that the Theodolite Training Group UK Inc. is NOT an accredited provider of the A1 English Test.

yes i had a quick check of the register when he first came on here, and couldn't find the name on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Howerd View Post
    Confirmation received from Carmen Jones of the UKBA that the Theodolite Training Group UK Inc. is NOT an accredited provider of the A1 English Test.
    Please give me the courtesy of letting me have the telephone number or email address of 'Carmen Jones' as this is completely untrue.

We have been authorised to offer the ELSA A1 English test for UK visa applicants for some weeks now and are listed as such on the UKBA website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...s-partners.pdf

EDI for whom we are a registered training centre in Cebu are also listed on the VFS website http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/images/2010...A1_Testing.pdf

We would always welcome anyone who doubts our integrity or credibility to visit our offices in Cebu City at any time, so that we can show you the documentary proof of our status as an A1 test provider.

It has taken my asawa and I many months of hard work and perseverence establishing our training centre here in Cebu, and we are both extremely proud of the services we provide

Theodolite Training Group UK Incorporated

Please let's draw a line under this topic by adding that the vast majority of our candidates have been referred to us directly by the UK embassy in Manila, and only a very few have actually taken the test with us as a result of visiting our website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information