Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Aircon

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila

Aircon

So peeps

Just sitting here thinking about aircon as one does. THe last apartment we had out in the phils had the through the wall aircon units which was to put in simpily - sh**e. Noisy, rattles, ugly, never really get the hole in the wall to seal properly etc,

Anyway just wondering what types folk use out there now and what do you think to be the best? Also are there many houses in the phils that have centralised aircon? I think that would be the best, would it not?
    It's been emontional

my toyota has aircon want to use that

Respected Member
    I had nice sleek and trendy Mitsubishi 'through the wall units' in my overseas property. They were about as pleasing to the eye as you can make a wall mounted refridgerator (and let's be honest, they are no worse than having a radiatior or combi boiler stck to your walls back in the UK). Never had a problem with noise or leaks, I guess it is down to how well they are installed and how much you pay for a quieter motor in the unit?

it would be nice to have a centralized aircon at home that is if you're ready to pay a huge monthly electric bill

most houses use the window-type unit (i for one) and got no problem about noise etc.. i think you just have to hire a capable installer and buy a silent-type aircon... there are new and more added features nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Nice of you to offer. I'll be sure to build my house out there round it!! Sure the wife wouldn't mind sitting in a car in the front room to watch the telly. Might be a problem getting it up stairs to the bedroom though thinking about it!!!
    It's been emontional

Sounds like things have come on a bit since we where out there last then. AS mentioned they're not the best looking things but I suppose its no different than a boiler hanging on your wall.
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    So peeps

Just sitting here thinking about aircon as one does. THe last apartment we had out in the phils had the through the wall aircon units which was to put in simpily - sh**e. Noisy, rattles, ugly, never really get the hole in the wall to seal properly etc,

Anyway just wondering what types folk use out there now and what do you think to be the best? Also are there many houses in the phils that have centralised aircon? I think that would be the best, would it not?
    I've got one of the hole in the wall types and it is much like you describe. It was sealed up quite well though. Main problem with it is that it is only a small flat and so you can't escape the small noise that it does make.

We have fitted lots of window type A.C units and all I can ever hear is the fan and when the ref kicks in..No rattles what so ever.. We pay around 13 k for a 1 HP unit..

This year I replaced all the old air-con units with new split-type inverter air-cons
    Very quite and very efficient.
    They do cost a bit more to buy, but cost less to run. I have actually seen savings around 25% on average on the electricity used.

Naa ..set those things to low and they just speed up and dont know when to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    So peeps

Hi! subseastu, just add my opinion here ... i can imagine what you have experience for that things. It is common for some apartment here as long as they put an a/c to the room it would be ok only they know if you complain to them and they fix it for you... Mostly, we live here without a/c as we balance it for our daily day source of income mean something we can tipid or less for the electric city.

If you have a bit richer friends or family all the houses have an a/c as they can afford on it and there type of house is a bit good while a simple apartment or simple living on here just only we can say that it is good to sleep and live than on the street .

Any way, as long as no one bothered you while you sleep or knock on the door at night just sleep good and never mind for the noisy aircon ... but it really need to fix coz it can add your bill for the next month.

A simple living here in the City is good and nothing to worry if you need to be cool just lend some a/c inside the mall with free strolling and place to stay in a while

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Naa ..set those things to low and they just speed up and dont know when to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug_sim View Post
    Hi! subseastu, just add my opinion here ... i can imagine what you have experience for that things. It is common for some apartment here as long as they put an a/c to the room it would be ok only they know if you complain to them and they fix it for you... Mostly, we live here without a/c as we balance it for our daily day source of income mean something we can tipid or less for the electric city.

If you have a bit richer friends or family all the houses have an a/c as they can afford on it and there type of house is a bit good while a simple apartment or simple living on here just only we can say that it is good to sleep and live than on the street .

Any way, as long as no one bothered you while you sleep or knock on the door at night just sleep good and never mind for the noisy aircon ... but it really need to fix coz it can add your bill for the next month.

A simple living here in the City is good and nothing to worry if you need to be cool just lend some a/c inside the mall with free strolling and place to stay in a while
    UNfortunatly I need quiet to sleep. Don't think it'll be very good to take a sleeping bag and bed down in a shopping mall!!!
    It's been emontional

So is centralised aircon that expensive? I know if you built a house and had it installed, then the initial costs would be quite high compared to buying single units for each room but in the long run how would it compare. I'd have thought it'd more efficent and economical because once you've got your house to the deisre temp then its easier to maintain, just like central heating in the uk.
    It's been emontional

Personally I have heard that centralized A/C is far more expensive and not something that would interest me personally for our needs.
    I suppose that many people rent here temporarily and inherit bad design that actually needs the A/C on all day.. This of course counteracts the uninsulated heat sink that IS a Filipino designed structure made of single piled hollow blocks..
    Unshaded Hollow blocks are heat sponges that release heat all day to the interior space and for many hours into the evening .
    In this case, perhaps continual central A/C is the way to go..

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Personally I have heard that centralized A/C is far more expensive and not something that would interest me personally for our needs.
    I suppose that many people rent here temporarily and inherit bad design that actually needs the A/C on all day.. This of course counteracts the uninsulated heat sink that IS a Filipino designed structure made of single piled hollow blocks..
    Unshaded Hollow blocks are heat sponges that release heat all day to the interior space and for many hours into the evening .
    In this case, perhaps continual central A/C is the way to go..
    Very good point Fred.
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Fred's point is exemplified in my house where I've recently had 15,000 php electricity bills, although last months was 10,800 which is much better!

Respected Member
    The place we rent is terrible for overheating as you say Fred single layer of hollow breeze block has a low thermal mass that allows the heat through quite quickly but still retains enough heat to radiate at night so you get the worst of both worlds.

We also unfortunately are on a corner and we get a lot of sun all day plus we would do with the place being painted white to reflect the heat but it's blue and absorbs a lot.

I like the heat most of the time but it does become oppressive.

We talked before about families that close all the windows and run electric fans all night not realising that they are slowly heating the room up.

Next time I am over I am installing an extractor fan above the vent over the kitchen area as that will encourage air flow through the house. A lot of days if there is a bit of a breeze it's great, so I just need an artificial breeze I think but one that physically moves the hot air out of the building rather than just moving it around.

When we built our native style house I was really paranoid about the roof overhang.. We ended up putting a 1.5 meter wide balcony all around the place..The roof ends almost 3 meters from the walls and sunlight doesnt touch them but we still insulated these walls..
    A bit like why Paddy wore 2 condoms...To be sure to be sure!!
    Anyone thinking of having a house built here should really think carefully before just handing over everything to a local architect as they will just assume you can afford the central A/C !!

Respected Member
    We have just installed aircon in our new house in Cebu. It was a "house and lot" package so although we could specify a few improvements we basically took what was on offer. No hollow blocks though, as the walls are all solid conrete, although not a cavity wall. The house was constructed to accept split type aircon units in all the main rooms with the wiring and tubing all in place. We considered having a centralised control but the cost was very high and we will only run the units as we need them. However we have put them into each room, 6 in total. We are on the coast so benefit from a sea breeze which means we don't need aircon on at all during the day, except sometimes in my office. We use the aircon in the living room in the evening, after we close the windows and in the bedroom at night. We have installed Midea units which seem very quiet and efficient. The running costs are as yet unknown as this is very new, we having been here for about a month. Actually our own power line is not yet connected so we are still running on a temporary supply provided, and paid for, by the developers!

Quote Originally Posted by David House View Post
    We have just installed aircon in our new house in Cebu. It was a "house and lot" package so although we could specify a few improvements we basically took what was on offer. No hollow blocks though, as the walls are all solid conrete, although not a cavity wall. The house was constructed to accept split type aircon units in all the main rooms with the wiring and tubing all in place. We considered having a centralised control but the cost was very high and we will only run the units as we need them. However we have put them into each room, 6 in total. We are on the coast so benefit from a sea breeze which means we don't need aircon on at all during the day, except sometimes in my office. We use the aircon in the living room in the evening, after we close the windows and in the bedroom at night. We have installed Midea units which seem very quiet and efficient. The running costs are as yet unknown as this is very new, we having been here for about a month. Actually our own power line is not yet connected so we are still running on a temporary supply provided, and paid for, by the developers!
    Good info David cheers.

I'm assuming that this centralised aircon works on a thermostat control much the same as a central heating system but in reverse obviously
    It's been emontional

Thread Information