Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Thumbs up BA Chairman slams redundant security checks

10 out of 10 for common sense Mr Broughton Nice to see you back in the day job after flogging the Scousers to another bunch of Yanks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...rman-says.html

Martin Broughton criticised “redundant” airport checks and said Britain should stop “kowtowing” to American demands for increased security.

Dosen't bother me, I'd rather have the extra checks. It's hardly an inconvenience, to have to take your shoes off.

I don't mind the checks either. You'd only be sitting waiting to get on the plane with the extra 2 minutes you'd have if they cut the checks down.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    I agree with Broughton - it is way over the top with little consistency, it varies from airport to airport, country to country. Who picks up the tab ? - the travelling public, yet another example of us ar$e licking Uncle Sam. I'd rather see money spent on executing terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    It's hardly an inconvenience, to have to take your shoes off.
    It can be a bit of a "tie", though ... if your shoes are lace-ups!!

I have no problem with the checks, taking off shoes or taking laptop out of bag. Its actually nice to give my feet a bit of air before the 12 hour flight!!

Although i do have a problem that they (USA) expect everyone else to do these checks but not carry them out themselves on their internal flights. I'm sure the terrorists on 9/11 were actually on internal flights.

But I am happy to do whatever so long as I can travel to the Philippines safely, or to anywhere else in the world.

They've always done all those checks on the internal flights I've used over the last few years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    They've always done all those checks on the internal flights I've used over the last few years.
    I last went to the USA in 2008 and don't remember all the 100ml liquid nonsense also laptop was checked but no concern over shoes and belts. Looks like the UK Govt might revise things http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11638825

They don't check liquids in the US internal flights, but then I've never had the needs to take them on.... I take an empty flask and buy coffee air-side..... and the liquid rule was decided to be scrapped last year but will take 2 years to go through the legal systems

Always have had to take off shoes and the laptop on the internal US flights, I suppose it depends on the airport. If you fly from say Reno to Vegas I doubt they'll have such high security as the risk is lower anyway..... but the main target is transatlantic flights.

If I'm flying from Manchester to the US, then the security is different if I'm going Manchester to Asia.

Personally, I have no problems with the security checks.
    But then if Martin Broughton believes some checks are no longer relevant/needed then
    they should be reviewed.

Banned
    They don't check liquids in the US internal flights, but then I've never had the needs to take them on.... I take an empty flask and buy coffee air-side..... and the liquid rule was decided to be scrapped last year but will take 2 years to go through the legal systems
    Great isn't it - took 5 minutes to implement it but two years to scrap

Always have had to take off shoes and the laptop on the internal US flights, I suppose it depends on the airport. If you fly from say Reno to Vegas I doubt they'll have such high security as the risk is lower anyway..... but the main target is transatlantic flights.

If I'm flying from Manchester to the US, then the security is different if I'm going Manchester to Asia.
    Flawed logic - clued up individuals go for soft targets. A plane being blasted out of the sky over the Atlantic is just as horrifying as it happening over the Indian Ocean

...but it makes a bigger point over the Atlantic and that's what the terrorists look for.

Thread Information