Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Visa for step daughter

Hi,

I am engaged and getting married in March to my long time fiancee of 3 years. I am a British citizen but my fiancee has a daughter. As soon as we are married I would like to apply for them to join me in the UK. Her visa is not a problem but its the step daughter's one that I am thinking will be a problem. The daughter has just turned 6 and I have known her since she was born. My fiancee lives alone in a house that i rent for her there. I send her money for rent, upkeep, school fees for the daughter. She is in full responsibility of the daughter and the girl's daughter does not provide anything at the moment as I do. He has other women with children and just had a baby with my fiancee when she was 19 as she is now 25. Therefore he has nothing to do with her and the daughter and they have never been married.

What is the best way to go about this. I would not like the father to know of the visa application as I do not know what he will say as I have never met him.

hello tl234 welcome here

Is the man (ex of your fiance) named in the birth certificate?
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

welcome to the forum tl234...
    you'll get more questions and answers soon

Trusted Member
    This situation could become very problematic.

As asked above...is the father's name on the birth certificate ?

Regardless of his philandering, he has rights too.

I have brought a stepdaughter and stepson to England, but their father was not recorded on the birth certificate.

That was 14 years ago, and I believe the regulations have been tightened up since then as a result of 'human trafficking'.

This needs handling very carefully, and if it looks like your intended will have to leave the daughter behind (even if she says she can cope with that), I would very seriously consider NOT getting married and bringing her here.

She WOULD miss the child terribly, and that could destroy your relationship.

the mother has legal custody until the child is at least 7yrs old, the only problem is does she have 'sole responsibility' and as other have said is the father named on the child birth cert, if so the embassy might want to contact the father..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    i would agree grahamw48. a friend of mine got his wife to uk from rp in 2005 and she has 2 kids from a previous filipino partner and he spent 1000s trying to get them a visa, but refused 3times. his wife got depressed here because she missed her kids, so my friend sold his house and moved to rp wer they now live. he was lucky that he had the money to do that. its like wise for me as wen i was living in rp,with my wife and 2 young kids, i missed my 2 teenage kids here in uk from my previous wife, and spent a lot of money on flights returning to uk to visit them for mostly 1week periods wen i could, that got me into a bit of debt..

Trusted Member
    Well mate, 'normal' people like you and me do have VERY strong ties to our children,and Filipinas are no different even though they may say "oh my mother will take care of them and I can visit with them sometime", in the real world tears will soon start to flow, and it's not going to be a bus ride anymore.

Been there done it bought the tee-shirt.

That's what my ex thought, and it didn't help that she didn't tell me she had TWO kids not one until we'd been married and in the UK for 6 months.

You really have to take off the rose-coloured specs when considering entering into a relationship with someone already with kids.

Ultimately it worked out for my kids, and I have custody of the youngest (ours), but it did finish our marriage in the end because of that initial broken trust concerning her children.

ALL the facts out and on display, all the paperwork sorted and approved is the only way to approach the OP's situation.

why were they refused 3 times ??
    like any visa you need to minimise the chances of refusal and do some research.
    i got my stepdaughter to the uk with my misses, and then got a settlement visa for my stepson just a few months b4 he was 18.

yes its not so straight forward for some people, but appealing against the decision, going to live in the phils or even going to live in another EU country and applying for a family permit for them could be options.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    why were they refused 3 times ??
    like any visa you need to minimise the chances of refusal and do some research.
    i got my stepdaughter to the uk with my misses, and then got a settlement visa for my stepson just a few months b4 he was 18.

yes its not so straight forward for some people, but appealing against the decision, going to live in the phils or even going to live in another EU country and applying for a family permit for them could be options.
    i dont no the details why they got refused, made mistake in my previous thread, 1 of his wifes children has an american father, and from what i have been told by other friends here, that was 1 of the problems but i dont no any true details if thats 1 of the reason for refusal..

Quote Originally Posted by tl234 View Post
    What is the best way to go about this? I would not like the father to know of the visa application as I do not know what he will say as I have never met him.
    Hmm ... I cannot, in all honesty, add to what has been said so far; however, I can you to our friendly site and express the hope that your problem will somehow be overcome.

Thread Information