Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Manila, Hiroshima, and the Bomb

For us Brits I guess we sometimes forget how the second world war affected Phill and its people Found this post which mentions how badly they were affected. I know my Wifes LOLO mentions hiding from the Japanese in Bamboo trees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/op...p=6&sq=&st=nyt
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Thanks - an interesting article

Its been a long time now but my wife`s nan used to tell me the about the atrocities of the Japanese solders, and on the way to Tarlac I visited the memorial to the Bataan death march. Sadly it wasn`t being well looked after and was overgrown with weeds.

The new generations of Filipinos seem to welcome the Japs and the business they bring, I wonder how history is taught in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    Its been a long time now but my wife`s nan used to tell me the about the atrocities of the Japanese solders, and on the way to Tarlac I visited the memorial to the Bataan death march. Sadly it wasn`t being well looked after and was overgrown with weeds.

The new generations of Filipinos seem to welcome the Japs and the business they bring, I wonder how history is taught in schools.
    Thats sounds like my Wife and her younger Siblings and Cousins they all think Japan is a wonderful place to visit (which it is) and heavily influenced by Japanese Films and anime. They only seem to hear about the war from there oldest relatives rather than from anything they hear at school or university..

I guess its good there is no hatred but shame not to remember and learn from your past.

As if the Japs were not enough for Filipino`s to handle,the Yanks did a lot of damage liberating Manila..In actual fact they devastated the city and killed thousands of locals with blanket shelling and bombing.
    Some Japs were hiding in the Red cross quarters which was a hospital full of Filipino sick n injured.. The yanks flattened it.
    Same type of thing inside Intramuros.
    The devil and the deep blue sea.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    As if the Japs were not enough for Filipino`s to handle,the Yanks did a lot of damage liberating Manila..In actual fact they devastated the city and killed thousands of locals with blanket shelling and bombing.
    Some Japs were hiding in the Red cross quarters which was a hospital full of Filipino sick n injured.. The yanks flattened it.
    Same type of thing inside Intramuros.
    The devil and the deep blue sea.
    Yeah seemed they forgot the locals when both nations fought over Phill

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Yeah seemed they forgot the locals when both nations fought over Phill
    Like the old saying, when the British bomb the Germans duck, when the Germans bomb the British duck, when the Yanks bomb everyone ducks

I know my Wifes LOLO mentions hiding from the Japanese in Bamboo trees.
    many countries suffered at the hands of the japanese and germans

the Baltic states suffered in a simliar way to the phils being invaded by the japs then the americans, but invaded by the nazi's and then the Russians.

my mom use to tell me , she remembered when she was at school the nazi fighters planes flying over her school in lithuania, and that was it, the country was invaded, and the germans burning all the lithunaian school books and replacing them with german ones, my mom ended up speaking perfect german

i think by the ended of WW2, one out of three who lived in the baltics were dead by the end of WW2
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    many countries suffered at the hands of the japanese and germans

the Baltic states suffered in a simliar way to the phils being invaded by the japs then the americans, but invaded by the nazi's and then the Russians.

my mom use to tell me , she remembered when she was at school the nazi fighters planes flying over her school in lithuania, and that was it, the country was invaded, and the germans burning all the lithunaian school books and replacing them with german ones, my mom ended up speaking perfect german

i think by the ended of WW2, one out of three who lived in the baltics were dead by the end of WW2
    Yes the Eastern front was a horrfic war and puts the loses England had to endure bvery much in the shade again very little is known of in the Uk I have read and listen to a few historians on the goings on there and very hard to take in what actually happened the figures are jsut so big

Yes the Eastern front was a horrfic war and puts the loses England had to endure bvery much in the shade again very little is known of in the Uk I have read and listen to a few historians on the goings on there and very hard to take in what actually happened the figures are jsut so big
    It was known by the older generations, incredible sacrifices, I thought there was about 25 million dead as a result of the war in the east. This country used to run convoys to the Baltic states with huge losses. I was a post war baby but I cant remember ever being taught modern history. We had a Lithuanian teacher who was as hard as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    but I cant remember ever being taught modern history.
    from what i remember from my history school days, we learnt about the Romans and Victorian times

not the sacrifices which went on in WW2 , the excellent TV program 'The world at War' should be compulsory in history lessons.

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

when i was doing my o'grade and higher history at school we had to learn about the first world war, the rise of hitler and the second world war. but that was in the late 80's early 90's. not sure if they still teach it at schools now. we had to watch some of the world at war programs for the class. also watched 'bomer harris' with robert hardy too in the class.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey73 View Post
    when i was doing my o'grade and higher history at school we had to learn about the first world war, the rise of hitler and the second world war. but that was in the late 80's early 90's. not sure if they still teach it at schools now. we had to watch some of the world at war programs for the class. also watched 'bomer harris' with robert hardy too in the class.
    An inspirational quote from the great man

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a dozen other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind." - Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey73 View Post
    Same here, remember being taught about how we defeated the evil nazis. Nothing on our own colonization of other countries though

My nan once told me how she was a pupil at school one day during the way in London. The Nazis had avoided radar detection and were flying low over the buildings. She said at one point a Nazi pilot's face could be seen as he flew round the school's bell tower. I think the school did not get damaged, but she said it was a scene of panic.

When I was in Minsk, my friend took me too their national war museum. She translated a lot of the text for me. Came away feeling a little angry, but also saw that there was still hatred towards the Germans from my time in Belarus. I also went to the Khatyn memorial in Belarus, which certainly gave time for thought. Below are some links to the Khatyn massacre in Belarus:

http://khatyn.by/en/ Memorial homepage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatyn_massacre Wiki page.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Same here, remember being taught about how we defeated the evil nazis. Nothing on our own colonization of other countries though
    We were taught about the discovery/trading/colonisation of far flung lands by various European nations.

Under the last Govt I think colonisation appeared back on the curriculum as part of Apology and Hand Wringing Studies

Thread Information