Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Married in Philippines, now in UK but wanted EU visa for holiday

Hi All, Would just like to make you aware of the situation I am in who may be about to follow me into the same situation.

Was married earlier in the year in Philippines and applied for UK spose visa, all granted with no issues and now we are in the UK.

Wanted to go on holiday to EU country so started looking for at visas for holiday.

Can't get one because Philippines marriage certificate does not have a apostille seal on it. Was advised Phillippines Embassy could do this. So contacted the Philippines Embassy who have advised that it can't be done in the UK and needs to be done in Manila.

Looks like we are holidaying outside the EU then.

Any suggestions?

Respected Member
    If desperate, how about having it fedex back to someone in Manila to get it sorted out (would cost around 80 quid all in all!), or find someone who is going out on holiday to pass it on to family to sort out.

Who advised you that you need the apostille seal on it, you can apply for a schengen visa for free through any of the member states embassy, I can't understand why this is being made an issue since you've been given residency in the uk

That sounds bad.. Philippine Embassy could not help. I thought thats what they are there for?
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    If desperate, how about having it fedex back to someone in Manila to get it sorted out (would cost around 80 quid all in all!), or find someone who is going out on holiday to pass it on to family to sort out.

Who advised you that you need the apostille seal on it, you can apply for a schengen visa for free through any of the member states embassy, I can't understand why this is being made an issue since you've been given residency in the uk
    Yes thought about sending it but can't really be bothered because it's likely to take ages and sorting payment etc will become marooned in red tape!

Turkey looks more promising for a holiday this year now!

Who advised me - It's on the Greek Embassy website and I checked other EU websites and they are all the same. http://www.greekembassy.org.uk/langu...izensOnly.aspx Towards the bottom:

FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU/EEA/CH CITIZEN

A) For the family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen the visa application procedure is simplified. The following people are defined as family members of an EU citizen:
    ■The spouse;
    ■The partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the UK legislation.
    ■ The direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependant, either of the spouse or partner; or the dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
    ■Please, Provide the original passport (with a valid UK residence permit) and the passport of the EU citizen.
    B) Required documents
    ■ Original passport (with a valid UK residence permit) and the passport of the EU citizen.
    ■ Original certificate that proves the relationship of the applicant with the EU citizen (marriage certificate, other partnership certificate, birth certificate etc., please note that the marriage or the partnership needs to be registered with the competent authorities. Marriages between a Greek citizen and a third country national need to be registered with the relevant Municipality in Greece according to the Greek legislation). In case the marriage certificate has been issued from another country (other than the UK) an apostille stamp is needed or a validation from the relevant Embassy. ■Proof that the applicant is accompanying the EU citizen or is going to join them (flight bookings or hotel accommodation or signed invitation etc).

I know it all sounds crazy... easpecially given that some countries are nearly broke or at the very least desperate for tourism I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by -sillybilly- View Post
    That sounds bad.. Philippine Embassy could not help. I thought thats what they are there for?
    They said it can only be autorised from Manila.

Like all things if we had known we would have done this while in Manila applying for visa.

Just wanted to make others aware because it may be of help to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Filipino View Post
    They said it can only be autorised from Manila.

Like all things if we had known we would have done this while in Manila applying for visa.

Just wanted to make others aware because it may be of help to someone.
    Thanks for the info...now atleast we know what our Embassy can only give and provide.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

This happened to us also ( no apostille seal on MC ) when we applied for a schegen visa for my wife at the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh.

They just asked us pay the £52.80 visa fee ( normally free for a UK spouse ) . I think it just a way for the embassies to get around issuing the visas for free !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stuartfarm View Post
    This happened to us also ( no apostille seal on MC ) when we applied for a schegen visa for my wife at the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh.

They just asked us pay the £52.80 visa fee ( normally free for a UK spouse ) . I think it just a way for the embassies to get around issuing the visas for free !!!!
    Thanks for the update. So we can get a visa if we pay for it then?

another thing that we all go through to be happy

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    another thing that we all go through to be happy
    It's never easy... But worth it though.

Thread Information