Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Settlement Visa and right to work

My wifes settlement Visa just says 'no entitlement to public funds' and doesnt say anything about her right to work here...although i am sure she does have the right to work here.

After getting a nice little part time job offer for her locally, we apllied for and obtained a NI number and card on supplying copies of her passport and Visa.

It seems the NI card alone is not proof enough of her right to work here but the passport is needed as well. However, the guidlines i have read for employers are just so complicated it gives me little confidence that any potential employer will understand she has the right to be employed.

Why cant the UK border agency simply state it on the Visa....it might make life a lot simpler for everyone! Meanwhile my wife is worried that she wont be able to work.

Anybody else had this problem? The guidlines i have seen online just seem to show outof date documents and no examples like her UK entry clearance stamp.

Banned
    Hi,

Your wife can work as soon as she has her NI number.
    My wife got work through an agency asap without problem

Best of luck

if you married outside the UK and your wife has a settlement visa, your wife can work soon as she lands in the UK, but as mrshark says it could be wiser to get a NI number first or she will probably be paying too much tax and the chances of getting a job from an employer might increase if she already has one.

if your wife came on a fiancée visa, she cannot work til your married and she has FLR.

yes i had a few problems when my misses got a job working for the NHS, they wanted to see my passport to

you shouldn't really have a problem, some people have a few problems if their settlement visa is expiring soon and they haven't got ILR yet, (employer might be worried they will not get ILR and they face possibility of a £10k fine) but i think most people don't really have a problem.

the employer can check with UKBA that your wife has the right to work online.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Just to add many employers will now make a note of when Visas are due to run out and like they do with Driving licences for company car drivers insist on seeing and making copies etc.

A few years back the Wife had yet to get her NI number when she started work but she was working in a shop where nearly everyone was on a visa of some form or another so all au fait with.

There is normally a contact number from memory which the employer can ring if any questions.

But keeping copies of the Passport info page and the Visa stamp page is normal.

In fact if you were start a new Job its likely you will be ask for Id such as a Passport which has often from personal experiences been a bigger issue for indigenous people than many on Visas who have the paperwork to hand and often have more awareness on the subject.

Good luck to your Wife on her new job
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

There is normally a contact number from memory which the employer can ring if any questions.

But keeping copies of the Passport info page and the Visa stamp page is normal.

In fact if you were start a new Job its likely you will be ask for Id such as a Passport which has often from personal experiences been a bigger issue for indigenous people than many on Visas who have the paperwork to hand and often have more awareness on the subject.

Good luck to your Wife on her new job
    I'm sure there is a telephone number your future employer can call, but if the employer visits http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...05&r.t=BLTTOOL web site, it lists what documents are required to enable someone to be employed legally in the UK.

the job i'm in now, i had worked with the manager more than 15yrs ago, and they still asked to see i had a right to work in the UK , well with the risk of a £10k fine, better to be safe than sorry
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information