Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Newbie (still here in) SG - need Advice

Hi Everyone!

'Found this site very interesting and helpful
    im currently working here in Singapore and was offered an internal mobility opportunity by my company to work in Glasgow, Scotland.

Im very excited and happy about this, but really quite unsure of how much should I receive as a salary in a month to live a comfortable life in Glasgow. By cmfortable I meant, nice one bedroom flat near the office (will be in the City area - Aurora bldg.), occassional travelling, some savings and ofcourse, remittance to family in Manila.
    At the moment Singapore has been very good to me that's why Im really doublet, triple thinking about this move.
    Also, I've been reading many negative articles about safety in Glasgow. How true are these?
    My hubby will also move with me. Papers will be handled by my company but not sure of the permit/entry pass he'll get. Thinking it will be sort of a dependant visa. Will he be able to get employed in Glasgow with that pass too?
    Sorry for my never ending questions.. really need true-to-life answers to these.
    Again Many thanks Pipz!

havent the company told you how much you will be earning and what job will you be doing?, you should also ask them about your hubby and process the visa at the same time, even you if need to do it yourself.

glasgow will be fine but cold
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Dependant visa holder are allow to work as soon as in the UK.

And if your company is going to do all your paperworks (visa and flight), they should also provide your accommodations, inform you about your job and salary range.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Thanks for replying guys.
    Yeap, company is doing all paperworks and yeap i'll get free 1mo. accommodation in a serviced apartmnt + relocation allowance + they will also shoulder moving expenses. They are offering GBP40k/annum. My dillema is, im earning almost as much here in Singapore with all the perks of living in the most liveable city in Asia, 28th in the world. But the offer will get me to see and feel the UK. Is it worth the switch? Is 40k enough? Job will be the same by the way. Is safety an issue? Hubby and i are both Pinoys. Anybody living an office life care to comment/ advise? Thanks so much!
    Much!

Thanks for replying bornatbirth and sillybilly
    Yeah, paying for flights, paper works, 1 mo accommodation ( while looking for my place), relocation expense (movers & all) + some cash allowance.
    I'll be doing the same thing, just changing office location from sg to glasgow.
    My dilemma is, m quite not sure of the adjustmnt in the salary. The offered 40k/yr. If i am to deduct the UK tax and nat insurane, it will be almost the same as what im receiving here in SG( net of tax).
    Im very excited to work and live in the UK. But as you probably already know, Singapore is a 1st world city(1st in Asia and 28th in the world's most liveable city).almost zero crime rate and very near Manila. Glasgow in the other hand... I honestly dont know, but I'm not liking what I've been reading about the city.
    So, is it really worth the switch?
    Anyone living the office life in Glasgow?

sorry, ist paragraph not clear... Yep company shouldering all of those..

Banned
    I live in Scotland and been there for about three times. It's a huge city and most populated city in Scotland. It's nice to be there.
    Just need to adjust with their accent and you'll be fine.
    You survived in the Philippines so you'll be ok

Quote Originally Posted by fromsg View Post
    Thanks for replying bornatbirth and sillybilly
    Yeah, paying for flights, paper works, 1 mo accommodation ( while looking for my place), relocation expense (movers & all) + some cash allowance.
    I'll be doing the same thing, just changing office location from sg to glasgow.
    My dilemma is, m quite not sure of the adjustmnt in the salary. The offered 40k/yr. If i am to deduct the UK tax and nat insurane, it will be almost the same as what im receiving here in SG( net of tax).
    Im very excited to work and live in the UK. But as you probably already know, Singapore is a 1st world city(1st in Asia and 28th in the world's most liveable city).almost zero crime rate and very near Manila. Glasgow in the other hand... I honestly dont know, but I'm not liking what I've been reading about the city.
    So, is it really worth the switch?
    Anyone living the office life in Glasgow?

Glasgow is in Europe and Singapore is in Asia

Living in the UK is very expensive but it is a privilege for you to live in the UK for work. People are dying and would love to kiss as soon as they step on the ground in the UK.

But actually life in the UK is pretty difficult, you have to pay double for everything, bits by bits. Have you heard about having a tv licence and yes you have to pay, the house rent, separate from the council tax, your tv cable, electricity, water, gas, food, car, road tax, car insurance, life insurance....and much more!

But mind you a lot of people survive!
    Thats just a few of the bills that you have to deduct from your wages.

But its entirely up to you my love.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Quote Originally Posted by -sillybilly- View Post
    Glasgow is in Europe and Singapore is in Asia

Living in the UK is very expensive but it is a privilege for you to live in the UK for work. People are dying and would love to kiss as soon as they step on the ground in the UK.

But actually life in the UK is pretty difficult, you have to pay double for everything, bits by bits. Have you heard about having a tv licence and yes you have to pay, the house rent, separate from the council tax, your tv cable, electricity, water, gas, food, car, road tax, car insurance, life insurance....and much more!

But mind you a lot of people survive!
    Thats just a few of the bills that you have to deduct from your wages.

But its entirely up to you my love.
    its not that bad

you will be earning 40k and you will be well off, are there plans for your husband to work?

i would stay in singapore if i was you, unless you have a reason for coming to the uk as you already put a very good case to stay there
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Banned
    Glasgow in the other hand... I honestly dont know, but I'm not liking what I've been reading about the city.
    Fear not Glasgow was once a European Capital of Culture but then again recently so were Liverpool and Romanias Sibiu

I would stay put,Glasgow tends to get lots of cold rainy weather,you will have great trouble understanding the language (it's not your normal English lol)

I would think in winter months you would regret the move It can be a very depressing place on a cold sunday afternoon.

Pity Edinburgh wasent on offer much nicer and the dialect is far easier to understand

Thanks to all!! Please keep those views, opinions, suggestions and advice coming.. I would like to weight this really carefully. I think communication in the ofc will be understandable bcoz the team is very diverse. Got indians, greek, new grads fr glasgow, some fr London and Singapore too...
    Is winter really really cold? Do we need a car?
    Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    I would stay put,Glasgow tends to get lots of cold rainy weather,you will have great trouble understanding the language (it's not your normal English lol)

I would think in winter months you would regret the move It can be a very depressing place on a cold sunday afternoon.
    Nonsense! The weather's no worse there than ANYWHERE else in the UK ... ok, I'M biased, being Glaswegian by birth. And sure - in common with most other British Cities - it has its own "peculiar" dialect [k/a 'parlance'] ... but it tends to be that bit slower - and hence, a darn sight easier to understand - than many English accents, according to my Filipina missus!

Thanks Little Arthur so what do you think? Okay to go? and 40k is decent enough to live well enough to have some "little" perks in life? Hubby and I both love to travel...

Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    Pity Edinburgh wasent on offer much nicer and the dialect is far easier to understand
    Edinburgh's Princes Street ... dominated by its panoramic vista of the world-famous Castle (as well as being the City's focal point for its Annual Festival) ... certainly attracts millions of foreign tourists each year. But 'Auld Reekie's' northeastern coastal location means it is invariably far more prone to exposure to the elements than its western rival ... AND, likewise, its citizens are, generally speaking, considered to be less sociable and warm-hearted than the "natives" of Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Glasgow was once a European Capital of Culture ...
    ... and DESERVEDLY so! It is also known affectionately as 'That Dear Green Place'. Kinda "speaks" for itself, DOESN'T it!?

Thanks Little Arthur so what do you think? Okay to go? and 40k is decent enough to live well enough to have some "little" perks in life?
    MY pleasure! So what DO I think?

Well ... for a start ... £40k p.a. is almost four times the salary I was earning on retiring early from full-time work in the 1990s. Even supposing your husband was unable to find a job in HIS particular field of expertise STRAIGHTAWAY, that amount is still significantly higher than the so-called national average, and more than adequate for BOTH of you to live comfortably in Glasgow ... where house prices are comparably lower than those in Edinburgh, for example.

to the filipino/uk forum, Pipz

Hubby and I both love to travel...
    Glasgow International Airport - Scotland's largest - is situated approximately 10 miles southwest of the City Centre ... and serves most European - as well as American and other worldwide - destinations ... although, it is usually necessary to travel to the likes of Manchester, Birmingham and/or London for connecting flights to the Far East [including Singapore & The Philippines]. Otherwise, no problem!

Thread Information