Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commission on filipino overseas (registered)

Filipino emigrants or those leaving the country to settle permanently abroad are required to register with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas. Part of its registration requirements is attendance in the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) to prepare them for settlement overseas.
    http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?opti...tpage&Itemid=1
    http://www.cfo.gov.ph/images/stories/mapmanila.jpg
    Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue
    corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway)
    Manila, Philippines 1007
    E-mail: info@cfo.gov.ph

This is how i do it and hope this also helps some future applicants:

1. attend a one-on-one guidance counselling and bring all your
    necessary documents (in front of la salle taft manila),you can get your certificate the same day.

* make sure you know some personal details of your husband/fiance
    like his mothers maiden name,the month and date he visited the philippines...if your partner is divorced or annuled make sure you are also prepared for answer as they will interrogate you a little.

*bring a picture of you and your husband/fiance.

*photocopy of your documents.

*dont forget to check your first certificate before you leave the office.

2. Wait for the visa to come out and once its out u can visit the PRISM office for registration.

*bring Identification card,pasport,visa,first certificate(guidance counselling),and registration form
    *photocopy of all your documents
    *dont forget to check your CFO sticker and certificate before you leave the office.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

very useful to future applicants
    when are u leaving mari?

No news yet of our application dear...emma and steeve got theirs... so think they prioritise fiancee visa!
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

ui there is this emma and my next step before she can leave the phils

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    QUOTE: * make sure you know some personal details of your husband/fiance
    like his mothers maiden name,the month and date he visited the philippines...if your partner is divorced or annuled make sure you are also prepared for answer as they will interrogate you a little.

Don't worry too much about knowing the correct answers. The person questioning you does not know the answer either so you can say anything you choose.

It is unfortunate that a system which was (I believe) set up to assist citizens who move abroad, so that they know what to expect, their rights and how they might protect themselves is also a kind of 'punishment' on the applicants. If I were asked in my country many of the questions, which are asked, I would tell them it is none of their business. In many countries to treat citizens in that way would be a violation of their human rights.

Respected Member
    Ate Mari Thanks for this Info

@ Marlyn dont worry to much you can get your Visa soon

Good Post Mari

I had already my CFO certificate last year (in requirements for my travel in UK as previously fiancee visa holder), now I am married here in Phil I was told to amend the CFO certificate and pay 400 pesos, coz I need it for amending my passport(gonna expire soon) into my married name.
    This information I got from inquiry over the phone talking to the one officer of CFO. So let see if this will happen in real
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Respected Member
    johncar, unfortunately we can be just as bad. In trying to renew my B1/B2+C1D visa the states they want to know absolutely everything and interrogate you on it all... Not nice!

congrats mari and good post

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    johncar, unfortunately we can be just as bad. In trying to renew my B1/B2+C1D visa the states they want to know absolutely everything and interrogate you on it all... Not nice!
    But the point I was making is that the interviewers do not know the answers, so if they ask what school their husband went to they can say Oxford University, even if it was just the local elementary school. They have no way of knowing if the interviewee gave the right answer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post

Don't worry too much about knowing the correct answers. The person questioning you does not know the answer either so you can say anything you choose.

It is unfortunate that a system which was (I believe) set up to assist citizens who move abroad, so that they know what to expect, their rights and how they might protect themselves is also a kind of 'punishment' on the applicants. If I were asked in my country many of the questions, which are asked, I would tell them it is none of their business. In many countries to treat citizens in that way would be a violation of their human rights.
    Its legal requirement so i supposed an applicant should supply correct information..
    and Its a protection for us filipinos to prevent human trafficking / abuse and not about human rights.

Its less intrusive than applying for a visa,so do it right people

A BIG , Mari ... for posting this extremely useful and important information for the benefit of others about to embark on a new lifestyle in the UK and elsewhere.

And all the very best for your fights on Wednesday 23rd ... have a safe and enjoyable journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    And all the very best for your fights on Wednesday 23rd ... have a safe and enjoyable journey.
    Thanks a lot sir art,bless you ...advance happy fathers day to u

Happy trip sis!
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn&kenny View Post
    Happy trip sis!
    thank u sis hope u get your visa soon

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Its legal requirement so i supposed an applicant should supply correct information..
    and Its a protection for us filipinos to prevent human trafficking / abuse and not about human rights.

A legal requirement, I should be grateful if you could quote the actual law which says that. I don't say there is not one but I should like to read it as from what I hear at least some of the interviewers give the impression that they are nasty to interviewees as maybe they are jealous that the person has found a way to travel abroad.

I know the intention of the interview, as I said above, is to explain citizens rights etc when they are abroad but some of the questions , example , what education did your husband receive, until the age of say 16, when the husband has been a senior company executive for many years, does not seen to give any assistance to the applicant.

Another point. My wife went for the interview on the 'Spanish Day' as she was coming to Spain. They told he she would need to attend on the UK day as she was marrying a Brit (albeit that she had no plans to go to UK). When she went to get the exit stamp in her passport they wanted to know why she had done the UK day when she should have done the Spanish one. They were giving her a hard time. Fortunately, I had a copy of an email in which I had questioned with a senior official of CFO re the change of day.

QUOTE: * make sure you know some personal details of your husband/fiance

As a Filipina I won't be acting like that coz it will be more harder they process my concern, whatever they wanted I'll try my best to give them as long as they follow the rule
    I believe if I acted politely I can get what I want in return..
    and If they are being nasty I'll stay calm and defend my right as a FILIPINO
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    well said

A legal requirement, I should be grateful if you could quote the actual law which says that. I don't say there is not one but I should like to read it as from what I hear at least some of the interviewers give the impression that they are nasty to interviewees as maybe they are jealous that the person has found a way to travel abroad.
    I hope it helps
    http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?opti...=270&Itemid=23
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

A legal requirement, I should be grateful if you could quote the actual law which says that.

Legal Mandate

The work of CFO is guided by the following laws and executive and administrative orders:
    Batas Pambansa Bilang 79. An Act Creating the Commission on Filipinos Overseas and for Other Purposes (June 16, 1980)
    Executive Order No. 728. Retaining The Commission on Filipinos Overseas Under the Office of the President as a Critical Agency, Designating the Members of the Commission and Providing for the Organizational Guidelines of the Secretariat of the Commission (September 12, 1981)
    Executive Order No. 938. Establishing the Overseas Offices of the Commission on Filipinos Overseas Pursuant to Section 4 of Batas Pambansa Blg. 79 (March 2, 1984)
    Executive Order No. 498. Institutionalizing the Presidential Awards For Filipino Individuals And Organizations Overseas (December 19, 1991)
    Administrative Order No. 242. Further Reconstituting the Exchange Visitors Program Committee and Redefining its Functions (January 17, 1996)
    Executive Order No. 346. Amending Executive Orders No. 728 and 938, Redefining the Organizational Structure, Functional Thrusts and Providing for the Operational Guidelines of the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (June 14, 1996)
    Executive Order No. 252. Establishing the Inter-Agency Committee on Philippine Schools Overseas, Defining its Composition, Structure, and Functions (May 5, 2000)
    Executive Order No. 343. Transferring the Commission on Filipinos Overseas from the Department of Foreign Affairs to the Office of the President (August 5, 2004)
    Executive Order No. 373. Reorganizing the Composition of the Commission on Filipinos Overseas Under the Office of the President (October 18, 2004)
    Executive Order No. 457. Designating the Commission on Filipinos Overseas as the Lead Agency for the Commemoration of the Centennial of Filipino Migration to Hawaii (August 23, 2005)
    Executive Order No. 550. Creating the Presidential Task Force NCLEX and addressing Concerns Arising from the Possible Conduct of NCLEX in the Philippines (July 31, 2006
    Executive Order No. 548. Creating a Task Force Against Illegal Recruitment Under the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (August 1, 2006)
    Executive Order 548-A. Creating the Presidential Task Force Against Human Trafficking (February 9, 2007)

you have a lot to read now mr johncar....
    and for your info,we need this cfo sticker and registration,so we have to do it right

Respected Member
    sars_notd_virus

I have read quite a lot about the functions of CFO and had lengthy exchanges with them, but I do not recall seeing, nor for that matter being told by the senior people I have exchanged mails with, that it was that law.

Thanks for the direct lift from the web page but as you said, 'Its the law that the questions MUST be answered,' please humour me and point to the specific reference, which I assume you were relying on, when you said it.

Thanks

sars_notd_virus

I have read quite a lot about the functions of CFO and had lengthy exchanges with them, but I do not recall seeing, nor for that matter being told by the senior people I have exchanged mails with, that it was that law.

Thanks for the direct lift from the web page but as you said, 'Its the law that the questions MUST be answered,' please humour me and point to the specific reference, which I assume you were relying on, when you said it.

Thanks
    http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=85378

whats you problem ? stop being so pedantic, Mari is trying to help others, If you have a diffrent opinion on the facts just say so, dont attack her.

Respected Member
    Notavirusalso. Sorry but you seem not to have read the whole thread.

My first post was :-

"Don't worry too much about knowing the correct answers. The person questioning you does not know the answer either so you can say anything you choose."

That was intended to inform interviewees that they did not have to get worried that they may not know every intimate detail of their spouse's life history.

It was this simple remark, intended to be helpful, which was criticised. I accept that I should have just ignored that 'unhelpful comment' on my post

congratulations, mari!

See you soon here in England, hehehe!

"Don't worry too much about knowing the correct answers. The person questioning you does not know the answer either so you can say anything you choose."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't know the answer just blag it. Give them a plausible answer (any answer) without too much hesitation and you'll sail through it. Most of the questions they ask have no bearing on anything, if they did then they would know the correct answers before they asked the questions.

Notavirusalso. Sorry but you seem not to have read the whole thread.

My first post was :-

That was intended to inform interviewees that they did not have to get worried that they may not know every intimate detail of their spouse's life history.

It was this simple remark, intended to be helpful, which was criticised. I accept that I should have just ignored that 'unhelpful comment' on my post

John..
    Dont worry..You are definitely not alone with that opinion. To me the whole thing is a pointless exercise run by those that really couldnt care less about their so called fellow Kababayans.. Like anything here in the P.I,its just another fund raising exercise.

Glad I was never made to jump through those hoops.

No CFO Certificate, No CFO Sticker...your are not getting your flight mate, no matter how many entry clearance you have.
    Its now the law of the Philippine Immigration and we all have to deal with it.

Here are few the questions they will ask you...

When, where and how did you meet your fiance/husband:

If divorce you need to show them the copy..or atleast a copy from the british embassy of your local CNI.

You need to provide details of your fiance/husband like home address, work address, contact numbers. In case something happened thats why they wonna keep a record.

And if he has been in the Philippines. If yes then show some few photos of you together.

Thats all they will ask..no more other questions. They know its not their business to ask further than that. They know their limitations.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Doesnt really matter what they asked you as long as you have filled out the application form correctly and it matches your answer during your interview...its up to you to make a story.
    The only thing they will ask you more is when you give them a doubtful information.

DFA will not accept your application to get a new passport, renewal or change of name if you do not have a CFO certificate of Guidance and Counselling.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    To me the whole thing is a pointless exercise run by those that really couldnt care less about their so called fellow Kababayans.. Like anything here in the P.I,its just another fund raising exercise.
    Exactly what i thought! just another way of getting money!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oOokhlareeceoOo View Post
    [B]

DFA will not accept your application to get a new passport, renewal or change of name if you do not have a CFO certificate of Guidance and Counselling.
    My wife changed the name on her passport at the P.I. consulate in Madrid without that cert. So maybe the requirement is 'flexible.'

Respected Member
    If we accept that the whole CFO process is to assist and protect Filipinos, then why, when the foreign spouse is in Phil are they are kept waiting outside? Surely, if the interviewer could meet the spouse they could be even more sure that the Filipino is not being exploited. However, I suspect that that would lead to the foreigners questioning why they or the partners should be obliged to answer questions which would probably be prohibited in many countries, including UK, under the various Data Protection Laws.

I am all for the highest level of protection being available for citizens but I strongly object to any form of coercion. Thus the attendance should be voluntary.

If the service was accepted as being useful and important the up-take would be high.

I suspect that at present almost no one would attend if given the choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information