Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Who would or could live a life this?

At the weekend I'm off to a remote island. There's no hotel or resorts and the best chance of accomodation is a hut on the beach. Electricity is scare on the island, there's one small school, only a few very small shops and just getting a bite to eat might not be easy.

Who could live all year round in a place like this?

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    it will drive me nuts, no facebook... hmmmm my answer is a big NO
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    it will drive me nuts, no facebook... hmmmm my answer is a big NO
    Ah yeh, the only way we communicate with each these days, on our artificial farms... Good ol facebook

i love it! my hubby and i took a drive to the country side a month ago and i asked is that tree a dog wood??? and he said is dog wood even a tree and i said yes, i have that on farmville
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Banned
    Dog wood Must be real if its on Farmville facebook apps are the real world now

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Dog wood Must be real if its on Farmville facebook apps are the real world now
    dogwood is a tree

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    dogwood is a tree
    Ganun More associated with a flower ...

http://www.google.com.ph/images?q=do...N&hl=tl&tab=wi

Banned
    Anyways, getting back on subject here Who could live on a remote island, no electricity, no FB etc, the way we did only a 100 years or so ago

There was a member who mentioned he was up for it..?

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Can't stand facebook myself can't see whats wrong with good ol fashioned text and email.

Where is this island then? Sounds very interesting. I some times look at all the c*ap I seem to have gathered over the years and in a buddhist moment wish I had a much simplier life, then I snap out of it, open my americain style fridge, grab a beer, then sit down in front of my stupidly big telly!!

I think a whole year maybe difficult cinsidering food could be difficult to come by. But it be good to get to a simplier life I think. Good luck to you, be interested if you post some pics afterwards if thats possible?
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Think it could be an absolute dream. As long as you had lots of good books.

Banned
    If others can why can't I?
    Let's try!

Banned
    At the weekend I'm off to a remote island. There's no hotel or resorts and the best chance of accomodation is a hut on the beach. Electricity is scare on the island, there's one small school, only a few very small shops and just getting a bite to eat might not be easy.

My wife grew up on such an island.
    The nearest hospital is 3 hours by boat and impossible to get to when there are big waves.
    Her father took someone to the mainland and the person died en route.

We all think we have problems, and then we realise how difficult it is for some people in the Philippines and in other countries.

Spending time with just a kerosene lamp and a few books is relaxing, a constantly chatty wife makes a quiet room into a busy place.
    Without the noise polution of modern life, all other sounds of nature is amplified and appealing

living on a desserted island would be like being a scout again and i always liked camping and modern life does my head in, so getting away from it all would be easy for me, unless theres a 5 star hotel there my wife wouldnt be interested

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Can't stand facebook text and email.
    i cant stand all 3, my wife will arrange to meet someone by facebook then 50 upto the minute texts, me.... i phone whoever and say lets meet at 2pm on saturday
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

A suitable post for my 2000th I could and would given half a chance my fishing skills would no doughbt improve to as well as language ...unless your saying there is no one else there?

How long are you staying? if your still there in 12 weeks I may well join you as I think its time to find a new Island to live on
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Count me in Triple, would love to try it.
    My only worry would be, that I've become a bit of an internet addict.

As for most modcons, I don't have them here, so I'm hardly likely to miss them? I suppose I take it for granted, that I can get food easily from a supermarket?

well i would be up for it , yes be hard but tv crap talking i miss and lets face it some of us on here can remember making our own fun all them years ago with your mates no computers mobile phones just the countryside and fresh air,when i first started getting serious with emma i use to joke about starting a new life just like mr christian from mutiny on the bounty so if theres room for a comunity on this island iam fore it

Sounds like this little island is getting busy already

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Sounds like this little island is getting busy already
    Well there are another 7000 +

I lived on an island near Leyte once with no power..Loved every minute.. There was a local cinema that was basically a betamax and large TV run by a generator..5 Pesos per flick,so used to go there to catch up with modern life..
    There was a mountain near by with natural 40 ft water slides leading to large mountain swimming pools.. People that lived up there used to barter banana`s and coconuts in exchange for rice at the mountain base..
    I got a special birthday invite from perfect strangers one day..They had sent some men on a boat to pick up ice from the mainland to put in my Tanduay.. Problem was they had no ice box so the large 10kg block they started with arrived as about 1/2 a kilo..We had to polish off the bottle while we could..Talk about stress!!!
    Some of the nicest people I ever met lived there and I truly hope that like me, none of them have yet discovered Facebook!!

not bother about using candles for lighting....well at least someone can provide me a fan

so a bunch of guys with one lady on a island

Banned
    So you're all in then I'm sure if we all chip in we could get broadband there

A few pics if you're not already tempted -

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=talikud+island

very interested in a trip report triple just booked my ticket again and think changing Islands is a great idea
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Looks lovely...Have you met Mindanao Bob yet Triple? I know he & his wife sell land, on nearby Samal Island.

Live simple ...Live free!!
    i think i will survive for ONE day
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Live simple ...Live free!!
    i think i will survive for ONE day
    really, that long

strange that the filipinas cant go without all there mod cons

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    really, that long

modern convenience
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    very interested in a trip report triple just booked my ticket again and think changing Islands is a great idea
    I'll let you know how i get on. I'd love to stay a few days, really poke around inland, but the missus has just got a job so needs to be back on the mainland for monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Looks lovely...Have you met Mindanao Bob yet Triple? I know he & his wife sell land, on nearby Samal Island.
    Never seen him From reading his site you get the impression he's the most famous expat here, but I've never bumped into him. I guess he's a busy guy with all those businesses.

Banned
    Jane and I stayed on the Island of Catudanes in a place called Puraran.

This was in a Nipa hut in a group of 5 huts on the beach all facing the ocean.
    We got many pics, Jane may post them on here one day soon, I think not!!
    It was fantastic...

Over the weeks we stayed there, many western types came for a couple of days and left.
    Like Fred said there is a desert Island spirit going on that bonds fellow tourist unlike the normal holiday resort where you wouldn't bother talking to a fellow guest.

The brown outs (2/3 times daily) were a pain at first but, you did get used to them, even the resident Tukoo that slept with us that woke us up without fail at 3am.

This is what we are aiming to go back to when we retire from the UK.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    really, that long

Mine can Bornabirth
    We are cowboys at heart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information