Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

cooking for parents in law

hello everyone
    here in uk now for 2 weeks, enjoying the place, been sight seeing.
    now i'm planning to cook filipino dish for my parents in law but i couldn't make up my mind what to cook, mum in law is a bit picky, she don't like spicy foods as well..she usually prepares roast dinner, salad and fish and chips..i've been suggesting for adobo and some other dishes that i normally cook in phil but hubby says they wont like it..hmmm don't really know what to cook ..any suggestions guys?

thank you

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    My folks love the wifes kilawin. Try pancit canton, I would 've thought they'd go for chicken or beef adobo. Or try bbq some whole fich up now the weather is better. TRy minodo (don't think thats the right spelling)
    It's been emontional

Stick to a fry up

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    My folks love the wifes kilawin. Try pancit canton, I would 've thought they'd go for chicken or beef adobo. Or try bbq some whole fich up now the weather is better. TRy minodo (don't think thats the right spelling)
    thanks for the quick reply subseastu
    i've been telling that foods to my hubby but he always say his parents wont like that sort of foods, huhu..hmm i'm still gonna try cook chicken adobo on friday though, menudo is one of my faves but hubby reckon his parents wont like it

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    Stick to a fry up
    thanks for the rep pete..i love fried ulams, easy to prepare, especially driedfish maybe i should let them try

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    i think that you should try to stick to plain food, old people don't like trying new things, maybe you should try to cook adobo but also give them an option if they dont like it, get some sausage rolls and quiche just in case.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Hi all,
    If you want traditional Filipino food then it has to be "Balut"

Only joking I would not wish that on anyone!

Mick.

Banned
    Spag Bol

try tomato beef curry its like your doing a mechado or afritada they call it casserole meron nga lang bayleaves at curry powder mild lang lagay mo or yung medium! goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by DavidArt View Post
    try tomato beef curry its like your doing a mechado or afritada they call it casserole meron nga lang bayleaves at curry powder mild lang lagay mo or yung medium! goodluck
    hello davidart thanks for the rep. would love to make curry as its my hubby and dad in law's fave but my mum in law don't like curry

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Hi all,
    If you want traditional Filipino food then it has to be "Balut"

Only joking I would not wish that on anyone!

Mick.
    ohhh balut yay

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    i think that you should try to stick to plain food, old people don't like trying new things, maybe you should try to cook adobo but also give them an option if they dont like it, get some sausage rolls and quiche just in case.
    ty for the rep maria..im gonna try to cook adobo for them on friday, see if they gonna like.

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    yeah adobo seem to be the safest choice, and chopsuey too
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

After 24 yrs together I still rarely eat filipino food,our sons eat some but mostly their with me on their taste.Dee will cook something for herself most nights and if the eldest is home he will have a bit of both.
    In the Philippines I eat more big macs during our holiday than I eat all year here.There used to be an Aussie butcher in AC that did the best steaks I have ever tasted but sadly he passed away and I think the shop closed. There was a English cafe in Nepo mall AC and also an English bakers 1 road back from the main strip in Borocay.

Sorry lost the plot a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    After 24 yrs together I still rarely eat filipino food,our sons eat some but mostly their with me on their taste.Dee will cook something for herself most nights and if the eldest is home he will have a bit of both.
    In the Philippines I eat more big macs during our holiday than I eat all year here.There used to be an Aussie butcher in AC that did the best steaks I have ever tasted but sadly he passed away and I think the shop closed. There was a English cafe in Nepo mall AC and also an English bakers 1 road back from the main strip in Borocay.

Sorry lost the plot a bit
    its ok
    i think its just our tastes, of what kind of food we've grown to like. we try different food but we still prefers the food that we eat growing up.

Respected Member
    My mother likes the filipino fish dishes, so why not bake a tilapia?

Or you could do a desert, something like cassava cake. That's really popular in our house!

Why dont you involve them in the decision making process? That way you can tell them all your favourite dishes , how hot they are, is there anything similar in uk (for example pancit canton is like special noodles dish from chinese take away etc).
    As has been said already, old un's tend to be very unadventurous in food, or at least the ones i know are hehehe so you may end up in the chippy

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    My mother likes the filipino fish dishes, so why not bake a tilapia?

Or you could do a desert, something like cassava cake. That's really popular in our house!
    hello jamsey tanx for the reply
    we just had our dinner, i prepared braised fish with tomato sauce and they love it, told me to do it again
    will try making baked tilapia next time and cassava cake.

Quote Originally Posted by complex View Post
    hello jamsey tanx for the reply
    we just had our dinner, i prepared braised fish with tomato sauce and they love it, told me to do it again
    will try making baked tilapia next time and cassava cake.
    Well Done complex
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

u may want to try mechado as they love meat with sauce ....i've cooked prawn last time sauted with butter, garlic and sprite a little bit of sugar, salt and pepper. they love it

Glad it went well - we always cook my parents sinigang (following advice from the forum we use salmon when its on offer! and savoy cabbage) and chuck in a couple of chilli's for luck!!! They love it. Adobo always a good basic - first filippino food my daughter liked, but also bihon (fried rather than soup) goes down well with the parents (not daughter!) - dreaming of having a BBQ with Bangus........

Quote Originally Posted by justchecking View Post
    Glad it went well - we always cook my parents sinigang (following advice from the forum we use salmon when its on offer! and savoy cabbage) and chuck in a couple of chilli's for luck!!! They love it. Adobo always a good basic - first filippino food my daughter liked, but also bihon (fried rather than soup) goes down well with the parents (not daughter!) - dreaming of having a BBQ with Bangus........
    ohhh speaking of bangus...i miss inihaw na bangus with ginger, tomato and onion inside..yummy

Banned
    Try chopsuey/stir fry. Buy stir fry sauce at Morrisons. Also try beef loin steak.
    Ibabad mo sa lemon, sibuyas, paminta at toyo magdamag. Then fry it!

wait until they come round and cook them dried fish joke, why not ask them what kind of food they like and come up with a simple selection of filipina dishes for them to try, all the above mentioned seem ok and leche flan always goes down well...sarap!!
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

maraming salamat everyone for the reply, very much appreciated i'm gonna follow ur suggestions,will make a list of stuffs needed

Thread Information