Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

IMMIGRANTS who want to marry Brits will be forced to take an English lang test First

this was talked about a long time ago by the then labour gov, looks like the Tories are going to introduce it..

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/politics/201...crackdown.html
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

They only need to be able to say YES!!!
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Shouldn't really be an issue for Filipina's seeing as they all speak fluent American/English

Shouldn't really be an issue for Filipina's seeing as they all speak fluent American/English

Perhaps its my slang that most of them cant understand?
    In all seriousness though,there are many here that cant speak any English..American or otherwise!

new rule again
    Thanks Joe
    another one from here
    http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco...sh-requirement

"From autumn 2010, they will need to demonstrate a basic command of English which allows them to cope with everyday life before they are granted a visa."

So it's started now or when?

Any updates where to take the test

I hope I won't failed coz I was influenced by a brummie accent
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

A1 Standard ....its been mentioned here in the press here that is the spoken english standard of a 7 year old .....dont fink any of us need to worry !!

no worries here I throw away to Joe
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAHnew View Post
    no worries here I throw away to Joe
    its the same rule leah

i think it said on the news the labour party were going to introduce it next year, but the CON-DEM gov will do it within the next 90 days , i'm sure it will take a lot of time to organise and cost a bit to take , it cannot be included in the visa fee, that would be to expect that ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10270797.stm
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

they also need to have an english lang test to all the husbands coz i keep correcting on my husbands spelling and his grammer leaves little to be desired..he's always teaching our little daughter slang ..the other day she turn around and said' wot???to me and i shouted its not wot?? its what? i mean..pardon??((u know what i mean))
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    Why outside EU again?
    It is some part of EU that can't speak english.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    I think this proposal is ridiculous.

Many British people have an extremely poor command of the language both spoken and written. Also, as all EU citizen have an absolute right to live where they like, and as there must be many who have no English at all, why should spouses of British citizens be discriminated against ?

We live in Spain. My wife's application for a visa to live here was simple, cheap and straightforward, she was accepted as my wife and thus she has an absolute right to live here.

When we enquired about a visa for her to visit Ireland, because I was British, it was free and could be applied for by post.

My wife has applied for Spanish Nationality and there is no law, which says she needs to be able to speak any Spanish. A much more 'citizen friendly' country !

PS. My mother was born in Northern Ireland. That means I am Irish by right. I am just in the process of applying for an Irish Passport; it's free for over 65 year olds. Also the certificate I will need when my wife renews her Residence Cert, the Irish Consulate will charge us 20 euros for it ; The British Consul charged us 300 euros last time.

No prizes for guessing why I now prefer to Irish than British.

Banned
    Given that a few people spoil it for the rest of us by marrying for money and then divorcing once the ILR has been granted, it is fair to say something needed to be done.

But this could be resolved with a simple interview. do both people speak a common language? If so, fair enough. so long as they wish to marry one another is it really anyones business but their own?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    they also need to have an english lang test to all the husbands coz i keep correcting on my husbands spelling and his grammer leaves little to be desired..he's always teaching our little daughter slang ..the other day she turn around and said' wot???to me and i shouted its not wot?? its what? i mean..pardon??((u know what i mean))
    Yes, I'm always asking Jane 'how do you spell'.

It beats getting out the dictionary we got for Jane to use

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Given that a few people spoil it for the rest of us by marrying for money and then divorcing once the ILR has been granted, it is fair to say something needed to be done.

But this could be resolved with a simple interview. do both people speak a common language? If so, fair enough. so long as they wish to marry one another is it really anyones business but their own?
    If the proposal is to prevent abuse, then that's what they should tackle. It's simple, change the law to say that if a person is believed to have obtained nationality by fraud or dishonesty, or maybe even saying that if within a set period, say 10 years, they no longer qualify, they will be expelled, and actually do it !

The problem with UK is that they seldom tackle to problem with a solution, which achieves that. They pussy foot around afraid to upset one set or another. Afraid that they will be taken to The European Court of Human Rights. Well they should tell any outside body that the laws made by UK are a matter for UK and only UK. Either that or lets sign up to be a province of the country Europe and be governed by Brussels.

(sorry I think I am dreaming)

Banned
    I agree John.

I applude the change from 3 to 5 years, should of been 7 years

Heard some MP say it was to help them integrate into British life & to avoid them feeling isolated.

It is true? many immigrants don't have any intention of trying to integrate.

I think in this case, hardly any of us are likely to be affected....we'll have to wait & see?

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Why outside EU again?
    My translators not working.... what did Penny say?????
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

I think" eu" is spelled "ewe"
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

how many still dont speak english after being here for years, i dont think its our wifes who need to worry but all the other immigrants who never learn and cant be bothered too, most filipinas are always willing to learn and hard working

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Yes, I'm always asking Jane 'how do you spell'.

It beats getting out the dictionary we got for Jane to use
    me too, its far quicker to ask the wife
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Why outside EU again?
    MY sentiments entirely, Penny ... that's what infuriates ME! It's so blatantly unfair ... yet the UK is apparently FORCED to go along with the ruling that allows so many Europeans - who have absolutely NO knowledge of the English language whatsoever - to come here freely ... simply because Britain is a member of the EU.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    how many still dont speak english after being here for years, i dont think its our wifes who need to worry but all the other immigrants who never learn and cant be bothered too, most filipinas are always willing to learn and hard working

me too, its far quicker to ask the wife

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    MY sentiments entirely, Penny ... that's what infuriates ME! It's so blatantly unfair ... yet the UK is apparently FORCED to go along with the ruling that allows so many Europeans - who have absolutely NO knowledge of the English language whatsoever - to come here freely ... simply because Britain is a member of the EU.
    Arthur it works the other way too.

Very few Brits, even those who have lived in Spain for years (15, 20 +) can hardly order a beer in Spanish. I know I have been a voluntary interpreter for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Arthur it works the other way too.

Very few Brits, even those who have lived in Spain for years (15, 20 +) can hardly order a beer in Spanish. I know I have been a voluntary interpreter for 15 years.
    Oh, I KNOW that, John ... indeed I'm willing to wager by far the majority of Brits [myself included] haven't bothered trying to learn a foreign language - other than the most basic words or phrases likely to be useful when holidaying abroad - in stark contrast to the vast numbers of people from many, many of the world's countries who've at least made SOME effort to speak English ...

... however, laying aside the language criteria, it seems ludicrous that, while successive British Governments have been content to pander to just about every law dreamt up by the EU, they're quite prepared to "stand alone" on immigration issues. Hence the exhorbitant visa fees incurred to bring OUR lawfully-wedded spouses to the UK ... whereas it's free of charge for citizens of EVERY other country within the 'Union'. HERE, those applying for *ILR - for which there was NO financial outlay prior to 2003 - are being particularly badly hit ... with steep rises in cost, each year since! By your own admission, John, you've found it altogether much cheaper living in Spain - from *THAT angle at least.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    can hardly order a beer in Spanish. I know I have been a voluntary interpreter for 15 years.
    you have been ordering beers for over fifteen years for them, are you a barfly
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    I think" eu" is spelled "ewe"
    ... YOU may well be spot-on there, Keith ... many's the true word(s) spoken in jest! Consider the innumerable occasions OUR politcal leaders have followed the dictates of their European "shepherds" like a flock of sheep ... except in matters that REALLY count!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    you have been ordering beers for over fifteen years for them, are you a barfly
    Sorry if you misunderstood, I was making a serious comment and did not think it necessary to add, 'At police stations, medical centres etc.'

For the most part Spain has not seen it necessary to provide information and services in just about any language, which may be used by the multitude of people who have come to live, or even holiday, in Spain.

Respected Member
    ... however, laying aside the language criteria, it seems ludicrous that, while successive British Governments have been content to pander and surrender: to just about every law dreamt up by the EU, they're quite prepared to "stand alone" on immigration issues. Hence the exorbitant visa fees incurred to bring OUR lawfully-wedded spouses to the UK ... whereas it's free of charge for citizens of EVERY other country within the 'Union'. HERE, those applying for *ILR - for which there was NO financial outlay prior to 2003 - are being particularly badly hit ... with steep rises in cost, each year since! By your own admission, John, you've found it altogether much cheaper living in Spain - from *THAT angle at least.
    Hi Arthur, not exactly free but I take your point.

When I asked in the Spanish embassy in Manila if it would be possible for my wife to live with me in Spain they looked at me as if I were stupid, and said, "She is your wife, where else would she live but with you in Spain ? "

Banned
    You've got my point Arth and what I also want to say is, most british are hard to speak other language. But they can come freely anywhere in the world.

Are they really special people on earth?

Dios mio!
    Hao fangh!

Respected Member
    There is some confussion here !

Some are saying Britain does not go along with EU Directives whilst others are complaining that Britain is forced to do so.

I guess it depends which side, of which argument, one is on, as both maybe true and also maybe false !

Thread Information