Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

birth certificate no parents names

just a quick one the birth certificate [uk] i have is a copy and only has my details and not my parents details,will there be a problem with getting settlement visa with this?

Quote Originally Posted by axis22 View Post
    just a quick one the birth certificate [uk] i have is a copy and only has my details and not my parents details,will there be a problem with getting settlement visa with this?
    Never heard of that before, is that is what is known as a short birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Never heard of that before, is that is what is known as a short birth certificate.
    Neither have I, to be honest ... and - like you, Iain - I'd been wondering if it's an abbreviated version?

Quote Originally Posted by axis22 View Post
    ... If YOU don't mind, can I inquire if you happened to be adopted as an infant? The reason I ask, is because ... back in the 1960s - whenever a child was being placed for adoption - it was normal practice for the identities of the natural parents to be witheld following a baby's registration ... in the belief [mistaken or otherwise] that it would best serve to protect the interests of all parties concerned - namely, the child him/herself, the birth parents and - not least - the adoptive parents.

More recently, however, changes in the law have allowed "children" in those situations access to this information ... in which case, there would be nothing to prevent you from obtaining it from the Registry Office in the locality nearest to where you were born.

My apologies for asking such a personal question ... but, whatever your individual circumstances, it is worth being adequately prepared ... as I suspect (though I'm not entirely sure) that the British Embassy will seek details of parentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I suspect (though I'm not entirely sure) that the British Embassy will seek details of parentage ...
    ... in the event, I should imagine a certificate bearing the names of adoptive parents, is just as likely to be acceptable. But best to check this out!

might be a short birth certificate...that's what my husband got when we apply for marriage lisence...i guess it be better for u to request for a long birthcertificate

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    From Wikipedia:-

Types of certified copies issued in England and Wales

Each "full" birth certificate issued is actually a certified copy of an entry from the register of births, which is held by the local Register office and at the General Register Office, Southport, pursuant to the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1953. The full certificate is an exact copy of the entry, showing the child's surname, forename(s), date of birth, sex, place of birth, the parent(s) name(s), their address and occupations at the time of registration. Full certificates are required for most legal purposes.[14]

In addition, one can obtain a "short" birth certificate, which is an abstract of the original entry and only includes the surname, forename(s), date of birth, sex, registration district and sub-district in which the birth took place. No fee is chargeable for this certificate at the time of registration. These documents are public records and copies can be purchased upon provision of all relevant information.[14]

Thread Information