Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

School Doesn’t Like to Refund Tuition Fee, Help Please.

I badly need advice on what to do. I would be very grateful with all your responses.
    Here’s my short story. My cousin paid a year tuition fee costing 2,500 GBP a week before she finally decided to leave London, and that was three weeks before her student visa expired. Her school director made a verbal agreement that she’ll refund the money with 100 deductions before she goes home, but on April 1 the day of collection the director said it can’t be refunded yet so she has to wait. She then signed a Request Form payable under my name so I’m the one responsible for the refund then. Two weeks after she left dated April 3, I rang the school director and she said no other students can use the confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS ) reference number they provided for my cousins’ visa extension which wasn’t use in the first place because my cousin withdrew her application. The school director said it’ll be there lost if they’ll refund the money, because the CAS number can’t be used any longer by other students. It’s non transferable. I told my cousin about this and she rang the school director. She was shocked the director changed her mind because when my cousin was still here in London the director promised she’ll give back the money. The director never told her she can’t refund the money when she was still here, and was only told when she left the country. If she was told she can’t refund the money, my cousin could have not left and continued the application instead. Now, my cousin and I are having problem if we can still take the money back. What should we do? Please help. Thanks.

Respected Member
    It depends on the terms of the contract and even then if it is an unfair term then it may not be enforceable.

Best thing to do is visit the Citizens Advice Bureau or check if your local university has a free Law Clinic.

Neither of those will charge for advice.

Alternatively, a lot of High Street solicitors will provide half an hour of free advice.

Yep, I agree on what Scouse said. Better seek for legal advice.

If she paid by credit card she may have some redress, but it sounds like a very small learning establishment if she is able to talk directly to the school director.Could be a case for more direct action, picket the place with a placard if you are up for it, going through the courts takes too long in your case. Is it just a scam college?

The school didn't provide any contracts www.londontrainingcollege.com located in a small building in Willesden is a small learning establishment. The only thing my cousin signed is the Refund Request Form saying 100 gbp will be deducted before refunding. I will try to go to the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau and see what I can get. Will post the update soon.
    IGOR Ethnic Tribal Creations
    Tribal Jeweleries, Ethnic Attires, Home Decors, Accessories...

Thread Information