Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Article: A Filipino Wedding - What To Expect

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Interesting article.....Maris and I are to be legally married in the UK this August , but followed up by a celebrationary wedding in Tagaytay, Manila overlooking the Volcano. Yes I am covering all costs, 50 guests, a very nice venue, with all the trimmings. We are flying in Maris's auntie from Oz, and papang and brother from Siargao, and generally relatives from around Manila. The following day we are flying to Davao to visit and celebrate with family in the province.Its a hectic schedule as we are there for 2 weeks, but it will be just the kind of wedding Maris wants and deserves!
    Here have a look
    http://ph.88db.com/ph/views/photoDet...OmClvM4jYy5A==

Thanks boss you have convinced me Hong Kong wedding at disneyland I guess the costs you mention explain why so many Filipinas arnt married Jhean wanted a double wedding with her cousin but apparently thats bad luck My fall back is on top of the Crown Regency Tower easy to get shot of uninvited guests with doggy bags or Siquijor its quiet there in the mountains
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    im getting married in march next year in manila, we met on internet in 07 i visted her in 08 october , it a very nice place , looking orwards to going back there they are very nice people

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky1979 View Post
    im getting married in march next year in manila, we met on internet in 07 i visted her in 08 october , it a very nice place , looking orwards to going back there they are very nice people
    Curiously enough, I also met MY Filipina sweetheart online in 2007 (September in OUR case) ... and WE were married in the Phils [albeit in Davao del Norte Province, Mindanao] during my second visit 15 months later. She's now living with me in Perth, Scotland.

I see you've already contributed to the forum - on other threads - and have pleasure in bidding you to this friendly site.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky View Post
    Interesting article.....Maris and I are to be legally married in the UK this August , but followed up by a celebrationary wedding in Tagaytay, Manila overlooking the Volcano. Yes I am covering all costs.
    Hi Cheeky. I am thinking of the same. My Maristela is coming to the UK on 1 September and we hope to marry latter this year before going back the Phil to celebrate with her family. Where are you planning your wedding in Tagaytay? Maristela looked at a couple of sites there as it is not too far from Manila but if you have a recommendation I would be interested to hear it.

LV

Respected Member
    Don't forget

The Unity Coins

In a wedding, an arrhae (wedding coins or arras as it’s known here in the Philippines) traditionally symbolizes the groom’s ability of to support his bride and confirms his position as the breadwinner of their future family. The thirteen (13) arras coins represents wealth and prosperity for each month of the year with an extra to spare assuring luck for the newlyweds and their future family the whole year through and beyond.

The ritual of the arras, where the groom would pass the coins to his bride, has always been an integral part of every Catholic Filipino wedding. This symbolic rite was influenced by the Spaniards centuries ago as they brought Christianity here in the Philippines. Similar arras rituals are still practiced today in Spain and Mexico. For us Filipinos, the arrhae gave way to the addition of another little boy in the wedding party — the Coin Bearer! Just like the Ring Bearer, this role is usually reserved for a favorite nephew or a good friend’s son.

But while the traditional arrhae have come to only symbolize material wealth with the man pledging support for his wife, today’s couples face married life together in a more mutually-supportive way than ever before. This has been the guiding inspiration for the Unity Coins — the 21st century update of the traditional wedding arrhae. The coins bear symbolisms that affirms the wedding vows as each coin represents one of the thirteen universal tenets of an enduring marriage.

• Never clear the table while somebody is still eating or that person will never get married.
    • A bachelor or a spinster who agrees to be a ninong/ninang in a wedding will never be married.
    • Brides shouldn’t try on her wedding dress before the wedding day or it will not push through.
    • Knives and other sharp, pointed objects are said to be bad choices for wedding gifts as giving them will lead to a broken marriage.
    • Giving an arinola (chamberpot) as a wedding gift is believed to bring good luck to the giver and the newlyweds.
    • Soon-to-weds are said to be accident-prone especially as their altar date draws near; thus, they must avoid traveling and taking long drives before their wedding day. (Does that mean you can’t drive to Antipolo and pray for a good voyage for your honeymoon?)
    • The groom who sits down before his bride does during the wedding ceremony will be ‘under-the-saya’ (henpecked husband).
    • If a bride’s monthly period falls on the wedding day, the couple will be blessed with a lot of children.
    • Couples must offer eggs to Sta. Clara to pray that the wedding day would be rain-free.
    • A downpour during the wedding brings prosperity and marital bliss!
    • The spouse on whose side the wedding candle is lit last will be a submissve partner.
    • If the flame dies out on one of the wedding candles, it means the spouse, on whose side the unlit candle belongs to will die ahead of the other.
    • Throwing rice confetti at the newlyweds will bring them prosperity all their lives.
    • The groom must arrive at the church before the bride to avoid bad luck.
    • It is considered bad luck for siblings to marry within the same year.
    • In the vernacular, this is known as “sukob” or sharing one’s luck with somebody else.
    • Accidentally breaking something during the reception (be it a plate or a goblet) brings good luck to the newlyweds.
    • The bride should ”accidentally’ step on the groom’s foot while walking towards the altar if she wants him to agree with her every whim.
    • A bride who wears pearls on her wedding will be a miserable since these gems are considered ‘tears’ of the oysters.
    • A bride who wears pearls on her wedding will never become a miserable wife as the pearls will served as a foil for bad luck and and represent the tears she could have shed if she hasn’t worn any on the wedding day.
    • An unmarried woman who follows the footsteps (literally) of the newlyweds will marry soon.
    • The more food at the reception , the bountiful the blessings the marriage will receive.
    • Dropping the wedding ring, the veil or a coin in the arrhae during the ceremony spells unhappiness for the couple

Thread Information