Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Encouragement needed!

I now have to decide whether to bring my Philipino over here and marry him, or accept that we will probably not meet again as he is 74 and I'm no spring chicken. After reading the thread about the cost of courting a Philipina, I feel quite depressed! Has anyone done it on less? The Government gives me a tiny £111 a week! Luckily I have some savings and a house I rent out which is giving me income at the moment but won't once interest rates rise.

Having always been looked after financially by the men in my life, it's quite terrifying to think I will be the sole provider.

Respected Member
    Nothing to lose, and everything to gain! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Nothing to lose, and everything to gain! :-)
    A large heap of money by the sound of it!

Respected Member
    Well, if he's the one you love, and you'd rather be with him then alone, its worth taking a risk. But really, only you know the full situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Well, if he's the one you love, and you'd rather be with him then alone, its worth taking a risk. But really, only you know the full situation.
    Only joking. Of course I'd rather have him than the money. But it's very difficult when you've reached an age when you don't work, so have no means of improving your financial situation. Also it's very odd to think of myself as the sole provider. It challenges everything I was brought up to believe!

Thanks for the encouragement, though.

We only live once, why not just make ourself happy, as simple as that (IMO) come on lets enjoy life

Banned
    Is the only option for him to go to the UK? What you receive each month may seem like very little, but I'm sure it would go a lot further if you were to marry and live in the Phils.

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Is the only option for him to go to the UK? What you receive each month may seem like very little, but I'm sure it would go a lot further if you were to marry and live in the Phils.
    Yes, have you thought of this one,living in the phil or stay there for like a year then visit UK then go back phil again

Quote Originally Posted by September View Post
    Yes, have you thought of this one,living in the phil or stay there for like a year then visit UK then go back phil again
    I've thought of it, but ruled it out for various reasons. Thanks for the suggestion though.

We only live once ...
    ... oooh ... I hope not ...

why not just make ourself happy, as simple as that (IMO) come on lets enjoy life
    ... but, you're right ... ... we SHOULD make the most of the one we've got!

Hi Rose seeing Arthurs post reminded me of his inspirational story whilst not exactly the same I commend you to read part of his story here

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=11873
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Hi Rose seeing Arthurs post reminded me of his inspirational story whilst not exactly the same I commend you to read part of his story here

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=11873
    for your commendation, Keith. So there you are, Rose ... YOUR recommended reading for today ... and WE [Myrna & I] got there in the end!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    for your commendation, Keith. So there you are, Rose ... YOUR recommended reading for today ... and WE [Myrna & I] got there in the end!!
    Thanks, I've read it and it is indeed inspirational. I hadn't even got to the point of wondering if the authorities would think I could support a husband or not, but now that I am thinking about it, they might well think I can't, although having checked the benefits situation, I wouldn't be entitled to pension credit or anything else if we were married (at least not for a few years). As Arthur pointed out in his own story, you have to pay a large sum to find out. I see they've just put the visa fee up to £644.

One thing I don't understand. On the fiance visa application, they ask for the applicant's financial circumstances, not mine. As he has virtually nothing, does that present another problem?

Rose to me Arthur was expressing the same concerns but there must have come a moment where he though br it nothing ventured nothing gained and sure enough overcame any objections in his own mind and as you see is happily married

Now maybe thats not you (I may be reading Arthur wrong to) but if you want something enough you can have it get him here if its what you both want and get him half a dozen paper rounds potman jobs etc untill he can keep you in the manner youve become acustomed to lol
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Rose to me Arthur was expressing the same concerns but there must have come a moment where he though br it nothing ventured nothing gained and sure enough overcame any objections in his own mind and as you see is happily married

Now maybe thats not you (I may be reading Arthur wrong to) but if you want something enough you can have it get him here if its what you both want and get him half a dozen paper rounds potman jobs etc untill he can keep you in the manner youve become acustomed to lol
    I can deal with the objections in my own mind (fear is an illusion after all), but I don't have control over Immigration who may well have their own objections.

I wouldn't dream of making him work, I want him to have a happy life free from worry.

My original question was whether it can be done for less than the costs listed on one of the threads, but nobody's answered that!

Im not reading that thread rose so I cant be sure what your refering to clearly the visa costs if your in UK and depending the route you decide on cant be avoided if you already have met and established a relationship and hopefully can document it you either go there and marry and apply for the spouse visa or the fiance here route some of those costs a variable each will come up with a different final result by all means post any that your not sure of and you will get different opinions from folk who have been there or have some advice to offer
    Absit invidia

Rose - just to note your query on your partners finances - my husband arrived last week (I smile all the way home from work knowing he's there.....!) on his application we took the advice from this forum of honesty - i was concerned that he earnt nothing legally and saved nothing so had no financial evidence - we wrote that he was a susbsitence farmer with occassional daily wage labour, we put n/a for the taxable income bit, and stated he gave half his money (unspecified) to his family and spent all the rest on food - so it was clear he had little resources of his own......the application was successful based on my finances, I support our daughter already and was concerned about this too - however he is here now......

Quote Originally Posted by justchecking View Post
    Rose - just to note your query on your partners finances - my husband arrived last week (I smile all the way home from work knowing he's there.....!) on his application we took the advice from this forum of honesty - i was concerned that he earnt nothing legally and saved nothing so had no financial evidence - we wrote that he was a susbsitence farmer with occassional daily wage labour, we put n/a for the taxable income bit, and stated he gave half his money (unspecified) to his family and spent all the rest on food - so it was clear he had little resources of his own......the application was successful based on my finances, I support our daughter already and was concerned about this too - however he is here now......
    Yet another inspiring story of what CAN be achieved with honesty and determination ... in the face of [seemingly] impossible odds ... so GO FOR IT, Rose - you both deserve every chance of happiness!!

Banned
    i think, the home office is more concerned that the relationship is staged/fake... which in your case isn't... just supply as many proof of relationship as you can and honesty on your financial circumstances... and take the plunge...

anyway, if you are already married there is a greater chance for the visa getting approved than applying for a fiancee visa... right folks?

Quote Originally Posted by English Rose View Post
    I've thought of it, but ruled it out for various reasons. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Hi English Rose.

If I'm not mistaken you did cite on another thread that you were put off by the the high temps in Phils? Whilst temps of 35 C can be too much, there are cooler places like the mountainous Baguio City where temps range generally between 15 C and 25 C.

You might also want to research settling in Europe somewhere. I've heard it said elsewhere that obtaining visas in Belgium is far easier provided you can obtain proof of living together for a certain period of time.

Just thoughts...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    anyway, if you are already married there is a greater chance for the visa getting approved than applying for a fiancee visa... right folks?
    Absolutely, Florge ...

Thread Information