Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tesco - Rip off

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    get to morrisons far better than asda
    Nah, you wanna shop at Iceland and get yer ashback.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    do i get a discount if i take a bag of ash from the misses car
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i must be getting old to post about "where do i shop", iceland as got to be the cheapest with the stuff they sell, morrisons tend to have very good offers and do appear to be cheaper than the rest.

hang on, now that im old im going to complain as much as possible
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    You've just admitted it's not a rip-off The only problem is your assumption is incorrect. No one else's fault apart from your own, but as you noticed the price difference then you can now assume correctly on that product. Simples
    Example 24 home brand weetabix cost £1
    Below is 48 " " " " £ 2.48

It is so obvious but, people still buy the 48 pack as well.

The consumer is the stupid ones, not Tesco

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    The consumer is the stupid ones, not Tesco
    Maybe it's something in the food that's dumbing them down

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    The Saturday before last, I bought 2 tins of coconut milk (for the coconut rice cakes that I was making) from Morrisons @ £1.07 which wasn't exactly cheap. A few days later I needed another tin and as I was going to my parents and there was a Sainsburys there, I thought I'd pop in there to get some. It was the same Blue dragon brand, but guess how much? £1.75 for exactly the same thing!! Like hell was I paying that price! You would expect a few pence difference, but nearly 2/3rd's extra?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Maybe it's something in the food that's dumbing them down
    May be the screaming kids, I want, I want, I want

thats why we shop mostly at morrisons, good honest northerners , tesco make me when they put the price it is in morrsions and their own price on the shelf , its always the same price , what they dont tell you is that its BOGOF in morrisons
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    thats why we shop mostly at morrisons, good honest northerners , tesco make me when they put the price it is in morrsions and their own price on the shelf , its always the same price , what they dont tell you is that its BOGOF in morrisons
    I agree. We only shop at tesco because we have a tesco metro around the corner from us and a massive tesco extra in town selling everything and it's open 24/7 apart from 2200hrs sat to 1000hrs sun They even have guys going round washing your car while your shopping, at a £7 cost Well it is here in Swindon.
    As for 'rip off' I'm not sure, they are running a business, if they can turn some people over who can't be bothered to compare then, who can you blame.
    I'm happy with tesco and going by the profits in April this year, so is the rest

Banned
    If only you knew the truth bloggsy; Morrison sold their soul to join the big boys Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. The image that they are a friendly, honest and full of northern values is tosh. They may have a head office in Bradford, but that means nothing in this day and age. And they are not a particulary nice company to work for. Must be those honest, northern values.

I find ASDA and Morrison's cheaper than Tesco and Sainsburys, with Sainsburys being the dearest. Thou i get my petrol from Sainsburys.

If only you knew the truth bloggsy; Morrison sold their soul to join the big boys Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. The image that they are a friendly, honest and full of northern values is tosh. They may have a head office in Bradford, but that means nothing in this day and age. And they are not a particulary nice company to work for. Must be those honest, northern values.
    well rob, seeing nearly everyone on the tills has a little chat with me and the other big boys dont, they are cheaper than the other big boys. have you worked for any of the other big boys ??

I agree. We only shop at tesco because we have a tesco metro around the corner from us and a massive tesco extra in town selling everything and it's open 24/7 apart from 2200hrs sat to 1000hrs sun They even have guys going round washing your car while your shopping, at a £7 cost Well it is here in Swindon.
    As for 'rip off' I'm not sure, they are running a business, if they can turn some people over who can't be bothered to compare then, who can you blame.
    I'm happy with tesco and going by the profits in April this year, so is the rest
    I agree the big tesco in Swindon is convient but when they have a special offer of four tuna for £2.78 and its only £2.00 at morrisons when it is not even on special.. I guess putting a offer tag on something sells it ?.........

Banned
    We do our weekly shop at tesco because of where it is, like I explained. Before we go there, we go to the local thai shop for the Mang Tomas, milk fish, talapia and Jane noticed some wierd friut called Rambutan, they were in a pack of 15 and on sale for £3.95 then Jane goes into this 'can I, can I' so we get and by the time we get to tesco, less than a 5 minute drive away, half the packet has gone! anyway, guess what we found for sale in the fruit section yes, Rambutan in a pack of 4 costing £1.99 and by the size of the tray they were being stored in, they were selling like hot cakes.
    They were of the same quality, Jane looked, so that must be right
    Yes, some of us are guilty for falling for the 'special offer' tags

Banned
    Jane noticed some wierd friut called Rambutan,
    I've had them in Malaysia - very nice and popular. Never noticed them in PI but no doubt plenty there as its a tropical fruit

I think ... at the end of the day ... there are advantages and disadvantages with each of the four supermarket giants. As I said away back - when Dedworth first initiated this thread - Myrna and I tend to shop a fair bit at Tesco for two main reasons: (i) there's an Open-24/7 'Extra' store just half a mile up the road from where we live ... and (ii) because of their 'Clubcard' [with double points available up until recently]. However, on the other hand (as I also mentioned at the time) they invariably seem to "instal" grumpy-looking old dears at their Customer Service Desk ... and even the assistants appear to be decidedly less co-operative than the ones to be found in the likes of Asda (now part of the giant American chain 'Walmart', of course) where staff [rightly] pride themselves on being properly-trained in customer-relations (which they put into practice very well, I have to say) although some of THEIR products are, to my mind, perhaps of a lesser standard than those of their main rivals. But then again, they tend to be a lot cheaper pricewise!

with Joe for the most part, as regards Morrisons. Good quality produce and excellent weekly special offers!! Thumbs down , though, for friendly helpfulness whenever one is searching for some particular commodity in cases where the aisle in which it is located is not always obvious. Sainsbury's hasn't, as yet, reached Perth, so I'm unable to comment - apart from there being a generalised belief that they are inclined to be expensive.

Morrison sold their soul to join the big boys Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. And they are *not a particulary nice company to work for.
    *THIS, I can well-believe, Rob! Perhaps it accounts for the prevailing [unhelpful] attitude I've found among staff working on the "shop floor" ... stacking shelves, or whatever ... when asked which aisle stocks 'x', 'y' or 'z'!

Am I correct in assuming YOU work for 'Iceland', Rob? There used to be branches in Perth - and its larger neighbouring city, Dundee ... until they ... ... (if I may borrow your earlier ) ... disappeared in a cloud of volcanic ash! Actually they stopped trading in MY neck of the woods, some years back - more's the pity! Now, Myrna & I frequently find ourselves taking full advantage of the same type of produce sold at 'Farmfoods'. Not the famous M&S brands ... much-alluded-to on the telly, perhaps ... but nevertheless of fine quality [in OUR considered opinion]! For instance, where else nowadays, is one likely to be able to purchase two half-loaves of 'Hovis' for a quid? Not at any of the bigger retail outlets discussed previously in this thread ... that's for sure!

If I ever felt overcharged or ripped off in a supermarket there would always be a bottle of red wine with a dodgy cap that leaked onto my cars carpet.. Not only do they pay for the whole car interior to be cleaned but the exterior too!!
    Its happened more than twice!!

The image that they are a friendly, honest and full of northern values is tosh. They may have a head office in Bradford, but that means nothing
    So much for "northern values"!! No offence here, Joe ... and also slightly ... but I once worked as a clerk at the Perth Branch of a large, well-known Building Society (now [thankfully] defunct) with ITS Head Office in Bradford. And though that was more than 40 years ago, I still wince at the painful recollection of being one of scores of young men who were made redundant up and down (and ACROSS) the entire country - at the whim of a then new and ruthless General Manager, acting upon the presupposition that it was cheaper to employ women to do the same job. This, of course, was before the Industrial Relations Act of the previous year became fully effective.

But anyway, the axe fell in January 1969 - at a time when my late first wife learned she was pregnant. I even took it upon myself to write to the GM personally ... asking him to reconsider in the light of our circumstances ... but to no avail; the bd didn't deign to reply - delegating it instead to the Company Secretary to do his dirty work!

Yes ... upwards of four decades may have passed, but I am blessed (or should I say cursed, in this case?) with a looooooong memory!

Originally Posted by gWaPito
    Jane noticed some wierd friut called Rambutan,
    They have Rambutan coming out of their ears over here..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    They have Rambutan coming out of their ears over here..
    Iv'e had Jane telling me for the last 2 days, believe me!

My now mother & father in law, brought bags of Rambutan up from the province, plus santol, lanzones etc. when we got married...mmmm lovely.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    What are Rambutan like?

(C)ashback at Iceland ... nice one, Rob! How on earth could I have failed to notice it sooner? Who knows? Guess I must've been too "fuelled-up" with retrospective self-pity in recalling being made redundant more than four decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    What are Rambutan like?
    They are very sweet, round, about 2 inches in diameter, got long spiky outsides, though not sharp...They look a bit like a young conker, when growing on the tree?

asda 6 pint milk £2.23 or 2 for £4 iceland 4 pint £1.10 so by two and get 8 pints cheaper than asdas 6 pints...sulit

farmfoods for me dont buy there brands but they sell other brands and the price is brill too and the staff are all so nice just like me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information